Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #2926
pleasehelpme
pleasehelpme began at the beginning.

Device: black kindle 4 2o12
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hi . Read the docs. Tell me where in the docs you are getting stuck.
i download the rewuired file, then i open it in rinwar and i cant open the bin. file so i put the whole thing into the root of the kindle, i download so many programs to open the bin. file but it wont
pleasehelpme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #2927
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
right..

A bin file. as knc1 above has stated. is run by your kindle. you drop it on the root of the drive and choose SETTINGS -> UPDATE YOUR KINDLE

Dont open the bin.

If you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to look inside. Niluje provides the packing tools that made it.

To be honest. You dont sound qualified to be poking around in there. Just run the intstaller in the way the README describes...

Opening the bin file is NOT in the README or any set of instructions I ever saw.

Like I said before, follow the instructions. step by step, let me know which step you get stuck on.

1) get file 2) unzip if required 3) stick bin on kindle 4) choose UPDATE YOUR KINDLE from the SETTINGS menu 5) read the relevant docs for any post install configs you may have to do.

That is not THE readme... just a RULE OF THUMB one I made up right now.

Hope it helps.

Also. if you dont know where the docs are? or something? also let us know and maybe we can point you at them. Nilujes stuff always has nice README's or README-1st's.

Give them a once over.

I found them: READ BELOW:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Download the attached kindle-ss-0.33.N.zip file, and unpack it. In here, you'll find a bunch of .bin files, and a src directory.

First, upload the correct *update_*_install.bin* file for your kindle to the root directory of your Kindle.
For a Black Kindle 4, that would be *update_ss_0.33.N_k4_install.bin* for example.

Now, eject your Kindle, and go to *[HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle*. It should take a couple dozen of seconds.

You now have a couple of choices to make:

Do you want to use the cover of the last book opened as a screensaver? Make sure you've installed the Python package first, then just drop a blank file named *cover* in the linkss folder. Restart your Kindle (*[HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart*), and you're done .

A couple of things to note on this mode: It's only available since *v0.31.N*, and if you don't rely on the autoreboot feature for third-party tools (Calibre?), the autoreboot feature is probably useless to you in this mode, so you should also delete the *autoreboot* file in the linkss folder.

If you simply want to use a set of custom screensavers, like usual, keep on reading .

To change your custom screensavers, plug your Kindle to your computer via USB, and upload them to the *linkss/screensavers* folder that has been created by the hack. You'll have to restart your Kindle in order to take your new screensavers into account. To that effect, you can either use the autoreboot feature, or simply do a full restart of your Kindle.

To use the autoreboot feature: Just drop a blank file named *reboot* in the linkss folder (by copying and renaming the already existing "autoreboot" blank file, for example) (*or in the linkfonts folder if you also have the fonts hack installed!*), and your Kindle will do a quick reboot 10s after you've unplugged it!
For those of you using meme's wonderful Kindle Collections : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118635 plugin for Calibre, that's exactly what its 'fast reboot' setting does whan you eject your Kindle from Calibre .

If you want to randomize the sequence in which your screensavers will be shown, create a blank file named *random* in the linkss folder (right alongside the "auto" file), and then do a full restart of your Kindle! This will shuffle your screensavers around on each boot.

*Since v0.23.N:* In addition to this, you can also shuffle your screensavers each time a framework restart is triggered through the autoreboot feature. Be advised that this may significantly (a few dozen of seconds) delay the framework restart procedure, depending on the number of screensavers you're using. To enable this feature, create a blank file named *shuffle* in the linkss folder (right alongside the "auto" file), and then restart your Kindle (either through the autoreboot feature, or a full restart).

Last edited by twobob; 12-30-2012 at 10:07 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #2928
pleasehelpme

Quote:
right..

A bin file. as knc1 above has stated. is run by your kindle. you drop it on the root of the drive and choose SETTINGS -> UPDATE YOUR KINDLE

Dont open the bin.

If you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to look inside. Niluje provides the packing tools that made it.

To be honest. You dont sound qualified to be poking around in there. Just run the intstaller in the way the README describes...

Opening the bin file is NOT in the README or any set of instructions I ever saw.

Like I said before, follow the instructions. step by step, let me know which step you get stuck on.

1) get file 2) unzip if required 3) stick bin on kindle 4) choose UPDATE YOUR KINDLE from the SETTINGS menu 5) read the relevant docs for any post install configs you may have to do.

That is not THE readme... just a RULE OF THUMB one I made up right now.

Hope it helps.

Also. if you dont know where the docs are? or something? also let us know and maybe we can point you at them. Nilujes stuff always has nice README's or README-1st's.

Give them a once over.

I found them: READ BELOW:
Spoiler:

oh i thought you had to open the bin. and geta file specific to your kindle, ill try that, but what do i do then for custom screensavers, i have that big folder in the root called python?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #2929
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
dude . read the message.

I spent a lot longer typing that than you did reading it.

Dont expect that to happen twice.

Quote:
To change your custom screensavers, plug your Kindle to your computer via USB, and upload them to the *linkss/screensavers* folder

Last edited by twobob; 12-30-2012 at 10:32 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #2930
pleasehelpme

Quote:
Hi . Read the docs. Tell me where in the docs you are getting stuck.
it says i need to use a folder called screensaver but there is none
Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #2931
pleasehelpme

Quote:
dude . read the message.

I spent a lot longer typing that than you did reading it.

Dont expect that to happen twice.
there is no screensaver folder
Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #2932
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasehelpme View Post
there is no screensaver folder
Because you didn't install the screensaver hack. Sounds to me that you only installed python. Python is only needed in addition to the screensaver hack for some functionality. If you want all, then you need 2 (as in TWO) update_*_install.bin files. Just like it says in the README. Be happy there is no RTFM.txt in there.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #2933
pleasehelpme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Because you didn't install the screensaver hack. Sounds to me that you only installed python. Python is only needed in addition to the screensaver hack for some functionality. If you want all, then you need 2 (as in TWO) update_*_install.bin files. Just like it says in the README. Be happy there is no RTFM.txt in there.
sorry for all this but where do i get both of them its not in the ONLY thing it told me to download
Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #2934
pleasehelpme

i think i added everything into the root of the kindle. it now says that the update was not succesful UPDATE ERROR : 3
Old 12-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #2935
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasehelpme View Post
sorry for all this but where do i get both of them its not in the ONLY thing it told me to download
READ the very first post in this thread (clicky linky) . Read the instructions in the spoiler. Under screensaver install you will see (that is only a part of the instruction) - quoted from first post:
Quote:
Download the attached kindle-ss-0.33.N.zip file, and unpack it. In here, you'll find a bunch of .bin files, and a src directory.

First, upload the correct update_*_install.bin file for your kindle to the root directory of your Kindle.
For a Black Kindle 4, that would be update_ss_0.33.N_k4_install.bin for example.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #2936
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Released Python v0.3.N, Fonts v5.7.N, SS v0.34.N, USBNetwork v0.47.N. Mostly updated binaries, and a few things from the latest K5 ScreenSavers hack backported.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #2937
Wolowizardry
Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Wolowizardry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kinlde 4 (Grey)
So has anyone put custom screensavers on the kindle 4 2011 software 4.1?
Wolowizardry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #2938
anonimo200
Enthusiast
anonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG
Good evening. After upgrading my DX from usb 0.46 to 0.47 my kindle stuck at booting screen (upgrade successful and then reboot). I've tried pressing power 30 seconds and now the screen is completely white. Any help? I'm afraid I've bricked my kindle :-(

PD: I can access the kindle connecting it to the Pc or via usbnetwork. Any idea what can I do?
PD2: ok, via usbnetwork I did a "reboot" and everything seems to work now. I'll try everything to make sure :-)

Last edited by anonimo200; 01-20-2013 at 10:46 AM.
anonimo200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #2939
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@anonimo200: Is this a FW 3.x-on-DX device? At which point of the boot process did you hit a blank screen? What's installed on your device, besides usbnet?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #2940
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Released Python v0.3.N, Fonts v5.7.N, SS v0.34.N, USBNetwork v0.47.N. Mostly updated binaries, and a few things from the latest K5 ScreenSavers hack backported.
Applied latest updates and everything works great. I just noticed that the info.txt file in each of the hack folders was not replaced with contents showing the latest version number. Ah well, will just have to remember that.

Cover black border is swell. Thanks.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet