Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
How do I force Calibre to request format change on PDF

Hi all! I've been setting up Calibre in anticipation of the arrival of my new Kindle 3 and I just wanted to know if it was possible to get it to request a format change when I try to move a PDF to it. I would assume that it should work for the Kindle 3, given that it won't be that much different from the other ones, correct? I think that the design change is mostly cosmetic and the addition of the new screen. Also, any recommendations for a newbie? Thanks!
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You can specify what formats are acceptable to the Kindle. If you remove PDF from that list then a format change would be triggered if there was not a format on the acceptable list (assuming I have understood your question correctly!).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
go to preferences->plugins->device interface plugins and customize the driver for your device to remove pdf as a supported format.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
go to preferences->plugins->device interface plugins and customize the driver for your device to remove pdf as a supported format.
Thank you. So, which driver will Calibre use when I put in a Kindle 3 when I receive it? Will it use the K2 driver? Or will it not be recognized at all for the first few weeks?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It will depend on the K3.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
lunixer
Addict

One other question. Rather than starting a new thread, I though I might ask it here while I have your attention. Why does Calibre keep changing the directory names? For example, I have a directory:
/home/ross/storage/ebooks/Jordan_ Robert/The Dragon Reborn (28)
And it seems that every time I modify the book "The Dragon Reborn" it raises that number by 1. Is it possible to have the directory not have the number after it? Am I missing something? I'm just a little picky that way. Thanks for your help, the use of such great software, and putting so much attention into everybody using it.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No - you cannot change the way calibre names files/folders inside it's library. You can, however, control the folder/file naming style that is used if you export a book from the Calibre library via "Save to Disk" or "Send to Device" by altering under Preferences the masks used.

It sounds as if you are re-adding the book after changing it? That would explain the number changing as you are creating a new database record. If instead you add the book via the Edit Metadata dialog for the existing book entry this will not happen.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote