Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
E Ink displays are very durable

There's a great video of a guy seeing how much abuse an eink screen can withstand before it stops working.
Goto: http://www.e-ink-info.com/e-ink-disp...e-very-durable for a chuckle or two
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

holy crap that is PRICELESS, well worth the price of admission!! PVI or whoever made that display should be cranking up the assembly line as fast as they can since that is the sort of display I suspect most people are holding out for, even if the contrast is still so-so. As long as the display is going to last, working around lighting inside might be well worth it.

Anyone know the actual size of that screen? Looks like about half the size of a 5" display, maybe a tad less...hard to imagine that the mag paid much for them. Also equally hard to imagine the mfg just gave them away as marketing overhead too. Somewhere in the middle is probably the answer but no matter they did not cost $30 ea. (half the reported actual cost of the K2 display) as many would have have people believe. I would go for $5 but that is about it.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Crazy.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

seriously that is the most amazing video. I mean the guy drilled holes in the thing and unless it hit a main circuit nothing happened beyond a hole in the display, it just "kept on ticking". Maybe Timex is the real mfg?
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
too bad they don't have those screens inside the current devices, if you do that to the SONY or Kindle or ILIAD or anything else, It will shatter the glass substrate and you have a very expensive brick cause its not covered under warrenty
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
too bad they don't have those screens inside the current devices, if you do that to the SONY or Kindle or ILIAD or anything else, It will shatter the glass substrate and you have a very expensive brick cause its not covered under warrenty
Tell me about it...

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-02-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
*delete*
*delete*
*DELETE*
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Yea, that video was posted last fall. Interesting stuff.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
That's a little misleading. It's not the eInk layer that breaks on most devices. The screen from the video is the same eInk that is already used in most eInk devices.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

that is most defenatly not the same screen that is one Eink Devices.

the sony and the kindle both use Eink with a glass substrate.

the screen in the video uses a Plastic Substrate which is a whole lot tougher. its not the Bendable Plastic Substrate though, but it held up suprisingly well to bending.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
that is most defenatly not the same screen that is one Eink Devices.

the sony and the kindle both use Eink with a glass substrate.

the screen in the video uses a Plastic Substrate which is a whole lot tougher. its not the Bendable Plastic Substrate though, but it held up suprisingly well to bending.
I believe the substrate that you're talking about is under the eInk layer on most device screens. The screens are made up of several different layers, the actual eInk is the same in the video as on current devices. It's the other layers involved that tend to break.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
Andybaby
Wizard

Huh?

Of course they are both Eink, but they are totally different.

The substrate is what holds the circuitry and all the other stuff that makes it work. they are totally different screens even if they are both Eink.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That's a little misleading. It's not the eInk layer that breaks on most devices. The screen from the video is the same eInk that is already used in most eInk devices.
Totally agree with you that it's misleading.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
GoneNova
Enthusiast
GoneNova is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4,Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One, Libra2
A couple of days ago my Cybook slipped out of it's cover and fell to the concrete floor at work. The SD card flew out, and when I picked it up, and tried to put the card back in, I dropped it again! I thought I'd killed it, but I put the card in, snapped the side seam closed-it only separated a little- and turned it on. Works great and I didn't even have to reset it. I consider myself extremely lucky. I have to do something about the cover- after almost a year and half of use it's gotten pretty loose.
The really scary thing is that I think the page turn is better now.
GoneNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNova View Post
A couple of days ago my Cybook slipped out of it's cover and fell to the concrete floor at work. The SD card flew out, and when I picked it up, and tried to put the card back in, I dropped it again! I thought I'd killed it, but I put the card in, snapped the side seam closed-it only separated a little- and turned it on. Works great and I didn't even have to reset it. I consider myself extremely lucky. I have to do something about the cover- after almost a year and half of use it's gotten pretty loose.
The really scary thing is that I think the page turn is better now.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote