Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 AM   #1
windspeedo
Enthusiast
windspeedo began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000, Kindle 3G, Kobo Glo
Methods listing the latest files

I wonder whether there is any method which could list the latest files in the iRex DR1000. Such as pdfs updated within 1 week or 1 month.
Thanks.
windspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can "sort by date", but only within a given folder.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Another question could be whether the DR can list the recent files viewed? And when open a pdf file having been viewed before, whether the reader can jump to the page lastly viewed, for example, page 100? This will be useful...
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The DR will automatically reopen a file at the page that you closed it at.

If you're regularly working with a number of files, I've found that the most convenient way to quickly access them is to add "shortcuts" to them to the DR's homepage.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Id really like to have a recents list with up to 20 items. This should have priority for the next fw release IMHO.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
windspeedo
Enthusiast

With its support for 16G card, iRex DR1000 would become a good e-library instead of a good e-book reader only for several e-books, if there be some improvement of the software.
Something like versatile lists in iTunes.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by windspeedo View Post
With its support for 16G card, iRex DR1000 would become a good e-library instead of a good e-book reader only for several e-books, if there be some improvement of the software.
Something like versatile lists in iTunes.
What I'm doing myself is creating a separate folder for each author, and keeping all the books by that author in the folder.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #8
windspeedo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What I'm doing myself is creating a separate folder for each author, and keeping all the books by that author in the folder.
Thanks Harry for all your valuable suggestions.

I have thousands of pdfs in dozens of directories. Whenever I find something interesting, I print them into pdfs and stored into the directories in the local computer. Every week I sync the directories with SD card using Sync Toy. So sometimes it would be difficult to find each newly updated pdfs in iRex.

It is strange that there are lots of file search tools even in iPhone, but not in iRex's Linux.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, I certainly appreciate that with that kind of thing it's a lot more difficult that it is with books, which is all that I'm using my DR for.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
I had the same problem

Quote:
Thanks Harry for all your valuable suggestions.

I have thousands of pdfs in dozens of directories. Whenever I find something interesting, I print them into pdfs and stored into the directories in the local computer. Every week I sync the directories with SD card using Sync Toy. So sometimes it would be difficult to find each newly updated pdfs in iRex.

It is strange that there are lots of file search tools even in iPhone, but not in iRex's Linux.
I was thinking of something similar.
I am using a Mac, and the program "Papers" to store all the articles I download. I store them on an SD card, which is also the SD card that I use on the DR. On the SD card, the files are sorted by year and journal.
On the DR I would like to be able to quickly access the recent articles that I downloaded.
The idea is to do that with a script on the mac. In addition to storing a file in the directory structure, one should also create a shortcut (in the DR sense, i.e. a .desktop file) in some directory, that contains maybe the 100 latest articles downloaded, in chronological order.
A script like that is not hard to set up... I just haven't gotten to it.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Optinal, using SQLite program to scan all directories' metadata and build the shortcut link in some "Recent" directory.
Like SONY did every time changing SDCard but very slow.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #12
windspeedo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
I was thinking of something similar.
I am using a Mac, and the program "Papers" to store all the articles I download. I store them on an SD card, which is also the SD card that I use on the DR. On the SD card, the files are sorted by year and journal.
On the DR I would like to be able to quickly access the recent articles that I downloaded.
The idea is to do that with a script on the mac. In addition to storing a file in the directory structure, one should also create a shortcut (in the DR sense, i.e. a .desktop file) in some directory, that contains maybe the 100 latest articles downloaded, in chronological order.
A script like that is not hard to set up... I just haven't gotten to it.
Good suggestion.
There maybe some script language in windows which could do the same thing.
Thanks.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 AM   #13
windspeedo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
Optinal, using SQLite program to scan all directories' metadata and build the shortcut link in some "Recent" directory.
Like SONY did every time changing SDCard but very slow.
This would be the final solution, I think.
Any SQLite program in Linux which could be ported to iRex?
Thanks.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
ross
ross began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
This would be the final solution, I think.
Any SQLite program in Linux which could be ported to iRex?
Thanks.
Wouldn't it be easier to patch the content browser to make a shortcut in a "recently opened" directory every time a file is opened? The functionality for the shortcut creation is already there, so I suspect it wouldn't be too complicated.
ross is offline   Reply With Quote