Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Reading kindle books on Sony Reader with Adobe and Firmware Upgrade

I know this forum does not support copyright violation, but I'm talking only about kindle books legally purchased on Amazon.

Is there a way to load and read them on the Sony Reader 505?
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Well... technically you could strip the DRM and make it a standard .mobi file, and then use one of the mobi2lrf programs to make it Sony friendly.

Wouldn't work on the topaz (tpz) files, though.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can't buy Kindle books unless you have a Kindle, so isn't the question rather moot?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
True Harry, but it would be useful in multi device households.

If I remember correctly, many of the members have passed on their devices as they upgraded, so if it was possible, it would allow a person to share a book they bought.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Yes, that is our situation. My wife bought a Kindle from a girl-friend who purchased it for her illiterate husband. It was NIB. So anyway, We're finding some books that I would like to read on my Sony when I travel (I don't like the Kindle).

I'm reading a big book (Verdict: in search of a crime). It's a large format book with about 700 pages. I don't want to leave it, but I don't want to take it with me because it weighs more than my laptop.

I'm not up to breaking any Federal copyright laws... even though Lompoc has a golf course! So, any ideas to reload legally purchased books to be used on a single device (Sony) would be great.

How about a firmware patch that makes the DRM think my Sony is a Kindle? I woudn't be modifying the original file or disabling the DRM.

By the way, I have been renting content from my local library with Adobe Digital Edition. Works perfectly! Love it! We're on the brink of a new age!

Mike
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Place View Post
I'm not up to breaking any Federal copyright laws... even though Lompoc has a golf course! So, any ideas to reload legally purchased books to be used on a single device (Sony) would be great.
I assume you mean a legally purchased "Kindle" book? If so they only way is to remove the Kindle DRM and convert the file to LRF.

You would not be violating any copyright laws. However, you may be breaking the DMCA.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
Anne5784
Anne5784 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e-book
Sony Reader

I have not been successful at converting my kindle books, so good luck.
Anne5784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I use a program called "Skindle", google it.

Harry, I purchased ebooks on my ipod touch through the kindle store. Kindle is optional, you just need a device that supports the kindle software.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne5784 View Post
I have not been successful at converting my kindle books, so good luck.
I use a program called "Skindle", google it.
I too have been very sucessful buying books from Amazon and converting to epub for use on my Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
Harry, I purchased ebooks on my ipod touch through the kindle store. Kindle is optional, you just need a device that supports the kindle software.
@Dorino you were sucked into replying to Harry's almost 2 year old post, because Anne5784 reopened a 2 year old thread. Obviously Harry was correct 2 years ago and knows by now that other options are available.

I guess the Old Thread Warning was too subtle for Anne.

Quote:
Old Thread Warning This thread is quite old and may contain outdated information. We recommend that you begin a new discussion if you like to talk about a similar topic. Of course, you may also proceed and reply here.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-22-2010 at 01:23 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We've had an epidemic of necroposting lately. Maybe the warning needs to be bigger? Maybe it needs to explicitly say that MR is not one of the websites where the mods will give you grief if you start a new thread about something that was discussed five years ago?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote