Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #136
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Any news about kual running on PW2?
Yes, there is 10 day old news.
Yes, it does run on the Kpw2.

It is in the "Release Candidates" repo linked here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224280

The prerequisites are in the "kindlet developer" archive.

Last edited by knc1; 10-16-2013 at 10:46 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #137
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Can a Kindle be used for that?
Yes, it took a large amount of modifications to the device and it's very complicated but you can indeed use a Kindle to read a book. If it's of interest I could do a step by step guide as to what's needed for you. Let me know either way.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #138
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
Yes, it took a large amount of modifications to the device and it's very complicated but you can indeed use a Kindle to read a book. If it's of interest I could do a step by step guide as to what's needed for you. Let me know either way.
There are a number of things "in the works" as Kindle applications.

But maybe we should take a hint from the VAGUE (Voice Activated GUI) that twobob released -
Amazon followed that up by removing the audio media I/O from their e-ink Kindle models.

If we write too much about using it to read books -
They might disable that feature next.

Related post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=12

Last edited by knc1; 10-17-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #139
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
yeah... the Voip thing is sat right here too...

sigh
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #140
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
yeah... the Voip thing is sat right here too...

sigh
The first thing I tried to strike up an interest in here, when I first joined nearly 2 years ago.

I think that a lot of the development work being done here falls into some sort of Internet Black Hole.
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #141
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
May I ask our (so far) 2 JailBreakers to post some screenshots of their installed "goodies". As if we're not jealous enough!
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #142
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
New PW Jailbreak work?

NiLuJe,
Thanks for this thread and compilation -- and your continuing work on Kindle-related matters. A bit off topic, but are you intending to apply your skills to try to find a jailbreak for the new Paperwhite? I can't live without my book cover screensavers (OK, that's a bit of hyperbole, I admit...)

[moderator linked referenced thread]

Last edited by twobob; 10-19-2013 at 12:08 PM.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #143
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
NiLuJe,
Thanks for this thread and compilation -- and your continuing work on Kindle-related matters. A bit off topic, but are you intending to apply your skills to try to find a jailbreak for the new Paperwhite? I can't live without my book cover screensavers (OK, that's a bit of hyperbole, I admit...)
We have all had a bit of a look.
there is a thread to discuss that. and this isn't it. [moved by moderator]

Short answer, he did.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #144
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As twobob said, been there, done that, hit a brick wall (or at least the limits of my meager skills).

There's a reason each time this has come up, you got more or less the same answer from at least four different people .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #145
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Thanks

Sorry, I looked and didn't find that thread, but thanks for replying. Sorry to hear a jailbreak is a dead end for the moment. The PW2 is a lovely device and fixes (for me) the blotches and other screen problems of the first PW, but I may have to revert to the Kindle Keyboard for the screensavers.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #146
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
Durn, but that sounds complicated.

Since the Kindle Paperwhite Generation (1) can be jailbroken and has good add-in support, perhaps we should just stick with what we know.

Although Amazon no longer sells the Gen(1) paperwhite, that does not mean they are not available:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/12...Brand_New.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/75...Brand_New.html

Although production is down to 2,000 a week, they are not (yet) 'dead and gone'.

(the model B024 is the model originally released in the US and other countries - check our "id your Kindle" wiki page)

Last edited by knc1; 10-23-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #147
zacherry
zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.zacherry is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I have a Paperwhite 2. I have a soldering iron and some know-how. Is opening it up and doing the npoland thing helpful at this point? Can I contribute to a breakthrough here whatsoever? Instead of asking what I can do, tell me candidly what needs to be done and I'll do it if I can. Thanks, everyone in this thread.
zacherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #148
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacherry View Post
I have a Paperwhite 2.
I have a soldering iron and some know-how.
Is opening it up and doing the npoland thing helpful at this point?

Can I contribute to a breakthrough here whatsoever?

Instead of asking what I can do, tell me candidly what needs to be done and I'll do it if I can.

Thanks, everyone in this thread.
Thank you for your offer.

One of the reasons for adding a serial port is for access to the complete firmware image.
npoland has done that for us.

Another reason is to give yourself access to the complete firmware system.
This allows you to:
* Make backups of the images in case you need them in the future.
* Add the 'device Jailbreak' certificate so that your Kpw2 can be updated with our add-in packages.

After adding the 'device Jailbreak' certificate, you probably will not need serial port access again.
Well, at least until Amazon pushes their first update to 5.4.0.
No one can guess in advance what they might do with that update.

NiLuJe has started a thread that consolidates all of his add-in builds. All built to include the Kpw2.

tidklass recently posted a pictorial illustrated description of how to add a connector for the serial port to the case.
I.E: Doing that or similar allows the case to be closed after the addition.

Contributions to the community effort?
As always, testing, testing, testing -

For instance:
The KUAL launcher and its prerequisites are tested and ready for the Kpw2.
But there are a lot of add-in 'Buttons' and only a very few of them have been tested on the Kpw2.
Reports on what has been tried and what the results where on each of them would be a big help to the authors of each.

None of the major sized applications that twobob has (or is in the process of) porting have only been tested on the KT and Kpw1.
He does not have access to a Kpw2.

When (if ever) an end-user Jailbreak vector for the Kpw2 is found, there will be a sudden demand for add-ins (tested on the Kpw2).
So additional 'testers' will be a big help in getting ahead of that demand.

The #kindle-dev IRC channel (chat channel) is your best source for help and guidance.
We (the developers at Mobilread) have stopped giving the lab126 crew public lessons in how to do their job of frustrating end-user control of the device better.

Big dream:
Someday the accounting department of Amazon will total up how many millions of dollars they have spent, and are spending, to frustrate a few people who are only investing big junks of their "hobby time" to keep the Kindle an "open platform".

Bigger dream:
Collect enough volunteers to begin the effort of porting Tizen to the Amazon Kindle hardware.
(Tizen is 110% Open Source and would allow saying bye, bye to Amazon firmware forever.)

I would rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
The sinners are much more fun.

Last edited by knc1; 10-24-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #149
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Just a quick question: since some of you already managed to "break into" PW2, wouldn't it be a problem to share rootfs/diags images, so others can dig for ways of possible jailbreak?
Thanks

Last edited by seaniko7; 10-24-2013 at 05:39 AM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #150
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Just a quick question: since some of you already managed to "break into" PW2, wouldn't it be a problem to share rootfs/diags images, so others can dig for ways of possible jailbreak?
Thanks
Not really.
The images used for the de-bricking of Kindles are a sub-set of the full images, without the device specific and personal information.

The images used for reverse engineering educational purposes contain both personal and device specific information.
We do not distribute that information to the general public.

You are welcome to make your own images, of your own device.
The people on #kindle-dev will help you with doing that.