Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #106
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Thanks I have the opposite problem. My sideloaded mobi books even with Pdoc tag show up in books and not docs.

I think it's the method I am using. I am downloading in Dropbox, then I move it to the Books folder then I open the book in File Expert and choose for it to open in Kindle.

Before I had to reboot to get them to show up but now I just do the above. SCION was the one who showed me how to do this.
If you do not want them to show up in "Books" then you need to put them into the "documents" folder on the kindle. (i think the pdoc tag works to keep personal documents from displaying in the books shelves, but may or may not include programming for placement into the documents folder on the kindle hd.)
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #107
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
If you do not want them to show up in "Books" then you need to put them into the "documents" folder on the kindle. (i think the pdoc tag works to keep personal documents from displaying in the books shelves, but may or may not include programming for placement into the documents folder on the kindle hd.)
They are in the documents folder and still show up in books. I know they carry the pdoc tag too. The only ones that show up in documents is the ones I email to my kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #108
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
They are in the documents folder and still show up in books. I know they carry the pdoc tag too. The only ones that show up in documents is the ones I email to my kindle.
hmmmm... curiouser and curiouser.

My brother and I have been futzing with this, I'm wondering if its method related as you suggest. When I sideload books by manually placing them in the docs folder, I see them in the documents folder on the kindle for a short while, and then they disappear. Shutting down and restarting they are still not visible from on the device itself. Books that get put into the Documents folder from calibre's "send to device method" do not have this visibility problem as far as I can tell. The other thing we've been playing with is re-converting ebooks in calibre and then placing them on the fire via different methods. There seems to be some inconsistency in the inclusion of covers that gets cleaned up if you reconvert your source file. Perhaps a reconvert (again) in calibre would help.

if any of that is helpful to you I'll be surprised, but sometimes brainstorming can be useful so I thought I'd put it out there.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #109
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
hmmmm... curiouser and curiouser.

My brother and I have been futzing with this, I'm wondering if its method related as you suggest. When I sideload books by manually placing them in the docs folder, I see them in the documents folder on the kindle for a short while, and then they disappear. Shutting down and restarting they are still not visible from on the device itself. Books that get put into the Documents folder from calibre's "send to device method" do not have this visibility problem as far as I can tell. The other thing we've been playing with is re-converting ebooks in calibre and then placing them on the fire via different methods. There seems to be some inconsistency in the inclusion of covers that gets cleaned up if you reconvert your source file. Perhaps a reconvert (again) in calibre would help.

if any of that is helpful to you I'll be surprised, but sometimes brainstorming can be useful so I thought I'd put it out there.
I don't know... They have pdoc tags in them but it could be something to do with Calibre. It's okay though I read more non Amazon books then anything. If we ever get the Pdoc cloud then that will fix it but right now they all go on the book shelf when I sideload via dropbox.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #110
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I email them to myself via Calibre. I was upset they didn't show up in books, and then I reaized this would be a good way to find them. It doesn't bother me enough to go through the trouble of reconverting them. And now I got movies to sideload, too! As soon as I get my cover, my kindle and I are going to watch movies on the train!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #111
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I email them to myself via Calibre. I was upset they didn't show up in books, and then I reaized this would be a good way to find them. It doesn't bother me enough to go through the trouble of reconverting them. And now I got movies to sideload, too! As soon as I get my cover, my kindle and I are going to watch movies on the train!
Yes that seems to be only way to get them to show up in documents. If you sideload them another way they show up in books at least mine do.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #112
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have been emailing books to my Fire via Calibre. No matter what I do (PDOC out, EBOK in, PDOC in) the book shows up on the carousel and then in docs. I cannot get them to show up in books. Except 2 have shown up in books.

What we really need to figure out (I mean someone smarter than me) is how to edit that @#%@#$ carousel. If I accidentally open a book, if I download a racy free book, they show up on that darn carousel!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 AM   #113
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I have been emailing books to my Fire via Calibre. No matter what I do (PDOC out, EBOK in, PDOC in) the book shows up on the carousel and then in docs. I cannot get them to show up in books. Except 2 have shown up in books.

What we really need to figure out (I mean someone smarter than me) is how to edit that @#%@#$ carousel. If I accidentally open a book, if I download a racy free book, they show up on that darn carousel!
Anything you email to the Fire is going to show up in docs. To get them to show up in books you need to sideload them either using LAN feature on ES File Explorer, Dropbox or some other method that is like it. They wont show up though until either you restart or follow this tutorial.

To get rid of recent items in your Carousel follow this

Last edited by Blossom; 11-22-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #114
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
To get them to show up in books you need to sideload them either using LAN feature on ES File Explorer, Dropbox or some other method that is like it. They wont show up though until either you restart or follow this tutorial.
When you connect the Fire to a PC via a usb cable does the Fire appear as a mass storage device? If so can you create folders then drag and drop files to the Fire's sd card? I'm a mite confused as to sideloading apps. The Fire is still on my want list.

Regards - John

BTW - I posted a quick look at the Archos Arnova 8 G2 here:
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #115
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
When you connect the Fire to a PC via a usb cable does the Fire appear as a mass storage device? If so can you create folders then drag and drop files to the Fire's sd card? I'm a mite confused as to sideloading apps. The Fire is still on my want list.
The user storage portion (called "SDCard", even though it's just a chunk of memory) shows up as a drive on your PC. You can copy files there. Sideloading the application requires not just copying it there but then installing it, which is a separate step, after which you can delete the file you just copied.

There are other ways of copying the files over, including directly accessing via WiFi if you have WiFi already set up.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #116
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
To get rid of recent items in your Carousel follow this
Thanks. But those racy free books I 1-clicked on are still in the carousel.

I would be happy if I could just get another screen to come up when I start the darn thing. My mil is coming down for Thanksgiving, and I don't want her to see this.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #117
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:

I would be happy if I could just get another screen to come up when I start the darn thing. My mil is coming down for Thanksgiving, and I don't want her to see this.

One other thing you could try is to delete the book from the Fire and then download again once she leaves.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #118
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post

One other thing you could try is to delete the book from the Fire and then download again once she leaves.

Carol
It wont work if it's in your archive. My only advice it too order alot free public domain books to put in front of them. That way they are farther behind. Be sure to complain to Amazon via their feedback app on the Fire about this so they will fix it.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #119
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Wow, usually the children trying to hide stuff from Mom, not so much vice versa!

If they are in the Archive call CS and explain situation. I bet they will help out. Perhaps in the future you can download them to the computer via K4PC and modify them by changing the cover to something generic via calibre then sideload them.

I sure hope Amazon gets this whole carousel mess cleaned up and sorted out. Currently it is a royal PITA. A simple toggle switch to turn it On/Off would be a much requested and needed start!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #120
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Wow, usually the children trying to hide stuff from Mom, not so much vice versa!

If they are in the Archive call CS and explain situation. I bet they will help out. Perhaps in the future you can download them to the computer via K4PC and modify them by changing the cover to something generic via calibre then sideload them.

I sure hope Amazon gets this whole carousel mess cleaned up and sorted out. Currently it is a royal PITA. A simple toggle switch to turn it On/Off would be a much requested and needed start!
I have those racy covers too. I don't know what my MIL will say during Christmas.