Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Smile Why'd you buy a Kobo?

I was wondering what aspects of the Kobo reader made people decide to buy a Kobo instead of or in addition to other eReaders.

My reasons:
1. I was looking for a fairly basic reader, didn't need music etc.
2. ePub, I wanted epub support and not be locked into a single seller.
3. Price, it was my first eReader and wanted to see how useful I would find it before spending a lot.
4. Ecosystem, I like the idea of portability of my ebooks from my Kobo eReader (used mostly at home or when I specifically intend to read) or from my smartphone (I can use this while on the go, if I'm waiting in line, waiting for the bus, etc I can read a few pages without needing to carry a larger device or physical book).
5. eInk, I spend enough hours in front of 3 LCD screens for work.

So why'd you choose a Kobo?
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Brain phart.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
1) Price - it was the least expensive E-Ink reader at the time for me to get my feet wet with
2) Compatibility - ePub & PDF support were nice to have
3) Simplicity - I like devices that only do one or two things, usually they do those few things well
4) Book Cover at power-off - what can I say, I was really attracted by this when I saw it in the chapters store. I really hope it comes back as an option in the next firmware release.
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
1) Price - the $149 was just cheap enough that if you dropped it in the pool or stepped on it, while being upsetting, wouldn't break the bank
2) Canadian!
3) Library books
3) Liked the Kobo store - tried it out using my iPhone as a reader
Never regretted my choice; wel, when they announced the K3 I felt a bit of a twinge but then remembered - Amazon only, no library books
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Yeah, $149 hit the sweet spot on the price point.

Canadian!

I didn't know from anything else (ePub, DRM, or any of that stuff).

I'm still happy with it.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
The first locally available ereader for sub AU$200.

It looked a great 6" ereader for mobile use to compliment my little PRS-300. So far I cannot complain!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
I am ashamed to admit that I did very little research prior to owning my Kobo. A friend got a Sony E-reader for Xmas ... and while I was curious about it, I didn't really think of getting one myself ... mostly because it was so expensive.

When I saw the Kobo display at Chapters ... and heard the price ... and that it was Canadian ... I was smitten. The guy at the cash register was also a pretty good salesman. I actually left the Chapters store without buying it ... but didn't get out of the parking lot before I re-parked, walked back in and purchased one.

Now that I know more ... I would still start off with a Kobo. It works great ... and I love reading books this way.

The next thing is getting one for my husband ...

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

I bought a Kobo because...

a) The Kindle was a bit too restricting and Amazon is playing the game a bit sideways, which I don't like. (they lose money on the hardware, but make it by locking you into buying pretty much everything from them)

b) The Sonys were powerful, but outdated and seemed overpriced. If the new models had come a few months earlier it would have been a much harder decision.

c) The Kobo was immediately available at my nearest bookstore/Walmart, the price was right (got in on the first $128 weekend) and by all accounts it was a good solid eReader and nothing more, which is what I wanted.

d) The Kobo group, seem like a progressive thinking, risk-taking bunch. It seems like they are treating the Kobo as a platform device which means it may end up as a much better product than it was the day it first hit store shelves. The next firmware will apparently add two of the most requested features...that says something...I can't see someone like Sony doing anything more than 'fixing' bugs with their eReader firmware.
This was evident to me in my initial research using sites like this one.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I was excited about the possibility that finally we would have an ebook store that was invested in making sure that every single book available to Canadians would actually be there. Supporting the reader associated with that just felt right. And I am all about the ePUB .

Last edited by taming; 09-08-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: My brain suddenly hurt and I was posting in French or mebbe pig latin.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
Rothbardian
Rothbardian began at the beginning.

1a) eInk
1b) PDF and epub support (the only other format I care about is DjVu)
2) No internet, no need to connect to or register with some web site before it becomes more useful than a brick (Apple, Kindle), or install software, etc.
3) Price
Rothbardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:18 AM   #11
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
The first locally available ereader for sub AU$200.
Snap, same here.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
1. Canadian
2. Price, I'm on a strict budget having 4 kids
3. It's everything I was looking for which was just a basic reader.
4. It comes in Black

I love my Kobo!
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
1. Canadian
2. Price, I'm on a strict budget having 4 kids
3. It's everything I was looking for which was just a basic reader.
4. It comes in Black

I love my Kobo!
I wish they would offer it in Black in the USA .

I am looking for a new reader, and I definitely prefer darker colors.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
LeahWarner
LeahWarner began at the beginning.

I liked the price and the simplicity - I don't need my book to be able to access internet, etc.

My main reason was that it was Canadian and that it is compatible with my library books! Even though e-books are cheaper than paper books, I still don't want to spend my money on purchasing a lot of books that I won't read more than once and I am a big supporter of our local library.
LeahWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
I bought a Kobo because it was available locally (Canadian), reads epubs and .pdf so I wasn't trapped into books from a single source, was cheaper than the others (I lucked into a $129 weekend), had an SD expansion slot and has books preloaded.

My reason for wanting an e-reader was primarily because I read continually (for work and pleasure) and seem to end up lugging books with me whenever I travel. I was also getting tired of the mountains of paperbacks at the house (even regular trips to the charities who want books doesn't make much of a dent). The past few years my book purchases have been over the internet (no large book stores here) and our magazine subscriptions have migrated to e-editions so e-books seemed like the next thing to try. With e-ink technology I was willing to give a portable reader a chance.

As an author I was curious too. All my publications are in print and I have always been reluctant to move into e-publishing opportunities and markets. Now that I have seen the forms (web vs email vs ereaders) I feel like I am better informed (it also gives me a great way to review works in progress without sacrificing trees or being stuck in front of a monitor).
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote