Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
blasteryui
blasteryui began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
PDF to Mobi/AZW3

Hi guys so I'm trying to convert two files, I'll try and and just get help with the first one for now. It's only 6mb in size. I've tried using Calibre, and converted it to both a Mobi and AZW3 file. The font seems like it would be fine, but all the links don't work. Like when I'm at the contents page and I click 1.1 it doesn't bring me to that section like it does in the pdf file on my computer. Instead it brings me to the first page, it doesn't matter what section I click on 5.6, etc, it will just bring me to the first page.. what can I do?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-08-2014 at 08:53 PM.
blasteryui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
litex
litex began at the beginning.

Device: PB602, 611,622, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasteryui View Post
Hi guys so I'm trying to convert two files, I'll try and and just get help with the first one for now. It's only 6mb in size. I've tried using Calibre, and converted it to both a Mobi and AZW3 file. The font seems like it would be fine, but all the links don't work. Like when I'm at the contents page and I click 1.1 it doesn't bring me to that section like it does in the pdf file on my computer. Instead it brings me to the first page, it doesn't matter what section I click on 5.6, etc, it will just bring me to the first page.. what can I do?
Tray it whit Mobipocket Reader
litex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
blasteryui

Quote:
Originally Posted by litex View Post
Tray it whit Mobipocket Reader
i don't know how to use it, downloaded it, can't figure it out at all.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
litex

Quote:
i don't know how to use it, downloaded it, can't figure it out at all.
Download it here http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ailsreader.asp
Install and start it, drag & drop yor PDF File, copy into Kindle and enjoy it!

(Sorry for my poor English )
Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
blasteryui

Quote:
Download it here http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ailsreader.asp
Install and start it, drag & drop yor PDF File, copy into Kindle and enjoy it!

(Sorry for my poor English )
creator or reader? I have creator and dragging and dropping doesn't do anything.. Isn't reader for reading only.. it doesn't covert does it? Download link doesn't work either, says it no longer exists.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
litex

Quote:
creator or reader? I have creator and dragging and dropping doesn't do anything.. Isn't reader for reading only.. it doesn't covert does it? Download link doesn't work either, says it no longer exists.
Oh! Sorry for this dead link. Here is another one http://www.computerbild.de/download/...1971.html?dl=1

Not Mobipocket Creator! Better und very simple is Reader. Just drag & drop PDF File on the surface and created *mobi put into Kindle. Later, when you will choose in Contents link 2.2.2, you must tap on 2.2.1 (!). So is my experience. I hope it helps you.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Calibre Conversion -- Sticky: Read this before Posting PDF Questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idolse View Post
PDF format is the worst choice of source formats to use with Calibre, and conversions can range from decent to quite awful. Read here for the official statement on Calibre's PDF support.

This post will go into a little more detail on the various issues surrounding pdf conversions and what can be done about it. Note if your PDF looks like complete garbage after conversion (i.e. nothing at all like the original text) there is nothing to be done about it using Calibre.

My PDF has a table of contents or links/bookmarks, but they weren't used during conversion
Calibre doesn't support the existing Table of Contents/links/bookmarks in a pdf, for either building a TOC or detecting chapters. Instead it uses a heuristic approach to guess where the appropriate chapter breaks are. This works well in some documents, but can produce poor results or false positives in other documents.
MobiPocket Creator is often suggested as a converter that handles PDF better than most others in many cases, but YMMV. There is simply no guarantee that PDF can be turned into something usable.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
blasteryui

Quote:
Oh! Sorry for this dead link. Here is another one http://www.computerbild.de/download/...1971.html?dl=1

Not Mobipocket Creator! Better und very simple is Reader. Just drag & drop PDF File on the surface and created *mobi put into Kindle. Later, when you will choose in Contents link 2.2.2, you must tap on 2.2.1 (!). So is my experience. I hope it helps you.
hi the link doesn't work, actual download link.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What is wrong with using MobiPocket Creator?

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...oadCreator.asp (working link. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
blasteryui

i don't understand how to use it
Old 05-09-2014, 03:24 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
hi the link doesn't work, actual download link.
Mobipocket Reader is no longer available for download from the official site. However, you can download it from archive.org.

However, it doesn't do a better job than calibre with your book. In particular it won't create a working TOC.

Try activating all Heuristic processing options in Calibre, before converting the the .pdf file. For best results, I'd recommend to convert the .pdf file to an .epub file first. This'll allow you to fix conversion bugs in Sigil.
If you're not picky about the messed up non-working original PDF TOC, all you have to do is generate a new HTML TOC in Sigil and convert the book with Calibre or Kindle Previewer/KindleGen.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:49 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kindle Forums forum section.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
blasteryui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Mobipocket Reader is no longer available for download from the official site. However, you can download it from archive.org.

However, it doesn't do a better job than calibre with your book. In particular it won't create a working TOC.

Try activating all Heuristic processing options in Calibre, before converting the the .pdf file. For best results, I'd recommend to convert the .pdf file to an .epub file first. This'll allow you to fix conversion bugs in Sigil.
If you're not picky about the messed up non-working original PDF TOC, all you have to do is generate a new HTML TOC in Sigil and convert the book with Calibre or Kindle Previewer/KindleGen.
Didn't work, the links still don't work.. is there any chance somebody would convert the file for me?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post

Doits:

If he simply opens the resulting HTML in an html editor, and marks the entries, it will, in fact, create a working HTML TOC for him. I remember this well--I started out on old MBPC, 5+ years ago. He should, I'd suspect, get the PDF into (either) HTML or Word, first, from Calibre; mark the headings in Word, say, and then feed it to MBPC.

I mean, nothing is going to automagically make his entire, working, perfect MOBI file for him, not without a little elbow grease. We do this all day long, and there's a reason that people pay money to have PDF's turned into properly-made, functioning mobi files. It's work. {shrug}.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote