Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
? about MS Office Home and Student 2010

I just got MS Office Home and Student 2010. (downloadable only)

I do most of my work (correspondence, marketing etc) on my PC. But I do my composing on a laptop. So I really need to have (we only have one download left) the 2010 on my laptop, but--if possible--I'd also like to use it on my PC. A complication--my laptop is not on-line (so, no way to download 2010). I was thinking I could download the 2010 onto a pen drive and then use it on the laptop and on my PC. Will this fly? And if not, any alternative ideas? Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I do not know if this option is given with microsoft downloads or not but usually when you start a download it usually gives the option of installing or saving. When you see that you can choose to save it to your hard drive and then copy it where ever you want to.

If you remember this option showing when you have downloaded in the past then just save it and then copy to your thumbdrive.

Maybe someone that has done this will post and let you know for sure.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I just got MS Office Home and Student 2010. (downloadable only)

I do most of my work (correspondence, marketing etc) on my PC. But I do my composing on a laptop. So I really need to have (we only have one download left) the 2010 on my laptop, but--if possible--I'd also like to use it on my PC. A complication--my laptop is not on-line (so, no way to download 2010). I was thinking I could download the 2010 onto a pen drive and then use it on the laptop and on my PC. Will this fly? And if not, any alternative ideas? Thanks.
Call them and check. It may need to be activated by an online connection; it may not work with an entirely offline laptop.

And odds are, it can only be legitimately installed to one machine; the old verification system used to allow multiple installs but they've been working to prevent that. However, unless you absolutely need the newer features, there are low-cost options for the earlier versions.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
From the 2010 MSLT:

Quote:
12. HOME AND STUDENT SOFTWARE. For software marked “Home and Student”
edition, you may install one copy of the software on up to three licensed
devices in your household for use by people for whom that is their
primary residence. The software may not be used for commercial, nonprofit,
or revenue-generating activities.
So you can install it on up to three computers, but you're not supposed to use it to write books that you intend to sell, or for marketing activities.

Edit to add: Activation - I don't know about this version, but the regular 2010 version has an offline activation option.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
From the 2010 MSLT:

So you can install it on up to three computers, but you're not supposed to use it to write books that you intend to sell, or for marketing activities.

Edit to add: Activation - I don't know about this version, but the regular 2010 version has an offline activation option.
I hasten to add, that at http://portableapps.com/apps/office, you can get a FREE version of either OpenOffice or LibreOffice that is designed to install on a thumb/flash drive.

Edit: I notice you can also get a portable version of Sigil ebook editor.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-26-2013 at 04:02 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
What Nash said is one reason I switched from a Home edition to a Pro edition. It didn't hurt that my day job has enough business with Microsoft for us employees to qualify for their "Home Use" program. Check with your employer because that deal is only $9.95 for the Pro suite!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I hasten to add, that at http://portableapps.com/apps/office, you can get a FREE version of either OpenOffice or LibreOffice that is designed to install on a thumb/flash drive.

+1 I use several portable apps. I have them installed locally, but on a separate partition. Keeps things nice and orderly on my hard drive. I keep them backed up (with Synctoy) to a flash drive that I can unplug and take with me to any computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
What Nash said is one reason I switched from a Home edition to a Pro edition. It didn't hurt that my day job has enough business with Microsoft for us employees to qualify for their "Home Use" program. Check with your employer because that deal is only $9.95 for the Pro suite!
I got mine through the HUP as well. I do love Office, but I wouldn't have it if I'd had to pay full price. Not when there are other options like Glen mentioned. It would be hard to part with OneNote, though. Love my OneNote.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:

Another +1 vote for portableapps solutions. My paid work involves fiddling around in side lots of virtual machines - all my portable stuff goes with me from machine to machine, including all the settings etc, without needing separate installation. A couple of browsers, LibreOffice, The Gimp etc. etc. etc. These days having a portable option is high on my list of priorities when choosing software.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Another +1 vote for portableapps solutions. .
+1 here too buy I keep them in my Drop Box (referal url so if you sign up we both get free space). That does not work for an off line machine though... I also keep my ebooks in it - allows easy access/back up of them.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I suggest you look around or call MS and ask to buy or add on the 3 copy option for about $15 more.
The problems will come later with the updating.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Call them and check. It may need to be activated by an online connection; it may not work with an entirely offline laptop.

And odds are, it can only be legitimately installed to one machine; the old verification system used to allow multiple installs but they've been working to prevent that. However, unless you absolutely need the newer features, there are low-cost options for the earlier versions.
So I've got MS Office Word 2003 on my laptop, which is what I compose on. What are the low-cost options on earlier models? (Honestly, I don't even know if I need anything more than what I've got.)
Old 02-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
I do not know if this option is given with microsoft downloads or not but usually when you start a download it usually gives the option of installing or saving. When you see that you can choose to save it to your hard drive and then copy it where ever you want to.

If you remember this option showing when you have downloaded in the past then just save it and then copy to your thumbdrive.

Maybe someone that has done this will post and let you know for sure.
Thanks ex. I'll ask the other people who already downloaded if they remember.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
From the 2010 MSLT:

I'll check into that offline activation option. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

I don't know

Quote:

I'm so used to using Word, I'd be hesitant to use O.O. or L.O.. I end up using Sigil so I'd be interested to know if O.O. and L.O. are compatible with Sigil. What's your opinion of them in general, esp. compared to Word?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Thanks Pen. Really small office here, though--and Pro is $439 on Amazon.