Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Few questions to rooted NST users

Hey all, I finally have a chance to update to pearl screen with very discounted refurb NSTs in ebay, but looking at reviews and videos I could not find the answer of several questions:

1. Does rooting reclaim back the 1gb allocated memory to B&N? I don't really need it, but would love the added space
2. Is there any negative battery implication of the rooting? Resident programs will surely kill it, but if I only root and install some sort of file manager?
3. Speaking of file managers, this is the main reason to root it and organize all my books into folders/subfolders/collections - I have not seen any movie showing the use of one - is there such a thing that I can easily browse the books and when I click on one to open in the default viewer (to be able to use the physical page keys)?
4. Does the rooted android handles cyrillic okay? File names is what concerns me, the default reader should continue to work I guess

Bit scared of that referb tho, once I get it, I'll move it half the world and won't be able to return back if there is something :/
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
Hey all, I finally have a chance to update to pearl screen with very discounted refurb NSTs in ebay, but looking at reviews and videos I could not find the answer of several questions:

1. Does rooting reclaim back the 1gb allocated memory to B&N? I don't really need it, but would love the added space
2. Is there any negative battery implication of the rooting? Resident programs will surely kill it, but if I only root and install some sort of file manager?
3. Speaking of file managers, this is the main reason to root it and organize all my books into folders/subfolders/collections - I have not seen any movie showing the use of one - is there such a thing that I can easily browse the books and when I click on one to open in the default viewer (to be able to use the physical page keys)?
4. Does the rooted android handles cyrillic okay? File names is what concerns me, the default reader should continue to work I guess

Bit scared of that referb tho, once I get it, I'll move it half the world and won't be able to return back if there is something :/
1. You cant claim back the 1gb by rooting but If I recall correctly some guys have been able to on xda by reformatting the internal hard disk. But its a highly risky way of doing it. And if you dont have a backup if something goes wrong you will have a hard time to fix it.
2. Most phones loose battery because of radio and wifi if you disable wifi then your battery wont take much of a hit no matter what apps are running in the background
3. I have never uses cyrillic languages so cant help you with that but NST is used a lot by Russian readers and one of the best android readers coolreader main developer is Russian and has a nook touch.
If you can read russian even if you cant you can use google translate check out the russian forum
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewf...5a8b450c89319f

for rooting and how to reclaim 1 gb you should read xda forum and threads
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1198
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Thanks for the answers mate, reclaiming that 1gb looks really risky way of doing it... but there is alternative - microsd! My PRS-505 operates times slower when SD card is inserted and battery dies several times faster. Is the same true for NST? I can opt for SD if they did it better than Sony. I'm most interested in battery life, as I hate dragging chargers around when I travel.
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
Thanks for the answers mate, reclaiming that 1gb looks really risky way of doing it... but there is alternative - microsd! My PRS-505 operates times slower when SD card is inserted and battery dies several times faster. Is the same true for NST? I can opt for SD if they did it better than Sony. I'm most interested in battery life, as I hate dragging chargers around when I travel.
I have always used the sdcard so dont know if only using internal has better battery or not. I usually add books every 10-14 days and let it charge so cant even really tell how long the battery lasts after 1 charge.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote