Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
calibre content server problem

I can access the calibre content server just fine from Stanza on my iPod, but for whatever reason I can't seem to access it anywhere else, including from the web browser of the computer from where calibre is installed, if I use my public IP address.

I am using an Airport router which I have set up to forward port 8080.

But if I type in my public IP with the port in my web browser, it says unavailable. I am also now trying to access the content server from Aldiko. I added the content server as a catalog in Aldiko, but all attempts to access it result in a timeout.

I'm assuming that somehow my airport router is causing the problem here, but I don't know what more I can do but forward the port? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovre View Post
I can access the calibre content server just fine from Stanza on my iPod, but for whatever reason I can't seem to access it anywhere else, including from the web browser of the computer from where calibre is installed, if I use my public IP address.

But if I type in my public IP with the port in my web browser, it says unavailable. I am also now trying to access the content server from Aldiko. I added the content server as a catalog in Aldiko, but all attempts to access it result in a timeout.

I'm assuming that somehow my airport router is causing the problem here, but I don't know what more I can do but forward the port? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Did you OK it (calibre.exe:8080) with your Firewall on your PC ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
sovre
Zealot

Yes, and I also tried using another port (8787). But I remain unable to connect, except through my iPod. "Test server" within calibre also works.

(Also tried turning the firewall completely off--no difference).

Last edited by sovre; 02-16-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
What URL are you using? Your external IP? If so, and you're doing it from inside your network, you've run into a NAT loopback problem (or rather, the lack thereof). Basically what's happening is that when you hit your public IP from inside your network, your router recognizes you as internal and directs you to the internal IP of the router, bypassing the external forwarding rule. So if your router is 10.0.0.1 and you're forwarding 8080 to 10.0.0.6 from the external IP, you're really hitting 10.0.0.1:8080. NAT loopback means that when you access your external IP from your internal network, the request is routed out of your network, onto the internet, and then back into the router on the external interface (it's more efficient to bypass all of that if it can).

I'm getting conflicting info about NAT loopback support on the Apple Airport router. One site says it does, another says it doesn't. I don't have an Airport router so I can't check the configuration to see if it's possible, but if you can't make it work then the easiest option is to refer to the internal IP when you're inside your network and the external IP when you're outside your network.

Technical alternatives: you could see if the Airport can flash alternate firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato, or you can do what I do and run a linux box as a router and either setup NAT loopback through iptables rules or use Apache as a reverse proxy for a dynamic dns hostname. I can go into more detail if needed.

Edit: The reason Stanza works is because it's finding the local machine via UPnP discovery (Bonjour). It's not going to the external IP.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
sovre
Zealot

Thanks for your reply, toddos.

Yes I am using my external IP.

And I am guessing that the calibre library "server test" is using my internal IP address, and that is why it is connecting. You say this is probably the reason my iPod is connecting as well.

But here's the problem: if I input that same address into Opera Mobile, to try to connect to my calibre server through my Asus Transformer, I immediately get the message "could not connect to remote server." So I cannot seem to connect from this device, using either the internal or external IP.

(I removed the server password, because there is a note in calibre that the password is incompatible with android, but still no difference.)

Last edited by sovre; 02-16-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, toddos.

Yes I am using my external IP.

And I am guessing that the calibre library "server test" is using my internal IP address, and that is why it is connecting. You say this is probably the reason my iPod is connecting as well.

But here's the problem: if I input that same address into Opera Mobile, to try to connect to my calibre server through my Asus Transformer, I immediately get the message "could not connect to remote server." So I cannot seem to connect from this device, using either the internal or external IP.

(I took the password out because there is a note that the password is incompatible with android, but still no difference.)
Have you tried other browsers on your transformer? The built-in browser, Dolphin, Firefox, etc. Opera Mobile does some funky proxying/caching/imagification of sites that would be problematic when visiting an internal IP address, but the external address should work in that case.

Without actually being on your internal network, I can't really do much more. At this point, it'd be interesting to see the results of systematically testing with multiple browsers (we can ignore Stanza for now because of how it's finding the server):

From inside your home network
  1. Access http://external.ip.address:8080/ on a PC that is different than the one running Calibre
  2. Access http://internal.ip.address:8080/ on a PC that is different than the one running Calibre.
  3. Access http://external.ip.address:8080/ on your Transformer using a browser that is not Opera mobile
  4. Access http://internal.ip.address:8080/ on your Transformer using a browser that is not Opera mobile
  5. Access http://external.ip.address:8080/ on your Transformer using Opera mobile
  6. Access http://internal.ip.address:8080/ on your Transformer using Opera mobile

From outside your home network (from work, a friend's house, the local starbucks/McDonald's/library/where public wifi is available, through your phone's cell phone connection instead of wifi, etc)
If this is a NAT loopback problem, I'd expect 1, 3, and 6 to fail, 2, 4, and 5 to succeed (5 is iffy). And the external network test should succeed as well. If 2 or 4 fail while inside your network, something else is broken.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
sovre
Zealot

2 and 4 fail. can't figure it out.

I don't think stanza can be accessing my library through the internal ip, because I can't access it through the internal ip using the safari web browser on my iPod or the web browser on my laptop.

Do you know what method Stanza uses to get access? It seems like this would be the most probable way to solve my problem, since Stanza alone can access the library. Stanza seems to be programmed to do whatever it is Calibre server likes most!

Does it use a name to gain access instead of an IP address? I don't really know how this technical stuff works. I notice the Airport router does have an option for setting a NAT address though. Could doing this be helpful?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
toddos
Guru

Quote:
2 and 4 fail. can't figure it out.

I don't think stanza can be accessing my library through the internal ip, because I can't access it through the internal ip using the safari web browser on my iPod or the web browser on my laptop.

Do you know what method Stanza uses to get access? It seems like this would be the most probable way to solve my problem, since Stanza alone can access the library. Stanza seems to be programmed to do whatever it is Calibre server likes most!

Does it use a name to gain access instead of an IP address? I don't really know how this technical stuff works. I notice the Airport router does have an option for setting a NAT address though. Could doing this be helpful?
Stanza uses UPnP discovery to find your calibre server. You can also manually put in the url (http://internal.ip.address:8080/stanza). UPnP discovery just tells Stanza what URL to use.

If access the internal ip address from a machine on your internal network doesn't work yet the server is definitely running, either you've got the wrong internal ip address or the wrong port.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
sovre
Zealot

thanks, toddos.

your last message helped me solve it. I was using the IP address connected to by calibre's "server test," assuming it was the internal IP. Turns out it is not. Not sure what that address is! I found that the IP listed in internet config was different and changed to that one, and now I can connect. Problem solved.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #10
toddos
Guru

Quote:
thanks, toddos.

your last message helped me solve it. I was using the IP address connected to by calibre's "server test," assuming it was the internal IP. Turns out it is not. Not sure what that address is! I found that the IP listed in internet config was different and changed to that one, and now I can connect. Problem solved.
Oh, ha! Calibre's test page uses 127.0.0.1, which is localhost -- no matter what machine you're on, that address always points back to the local machine. So when you used 127.0.0.1 from the Android tablet or other PCs, it was expecting that device or PC to be running calibre's content server, which they obviously were not
Old 03-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
pnwuser
pnwuser began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
thanks, toddos.

How do you find the Internet config? I am running windows 7.
pnwuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwuser View Post
How do you find the Internet config? I am running windows 7.
Open a command prompt
type: ipconfig /all
Then scroll till you find Local area connection (if wired, and if you have not renamed it)
or Wireless LAN if that is your poision
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
gypsyman
gypsyman began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Nook
Help needed with connection server.

I am having this same problem. But if I go to ipcong /all I have the following IPs displayed: Link-local IPv6 Address, DHCP Gateway, and DHCP Server. I have tried all of these on my Galaxy tablet to try to connect to my content server and none of these work. I am running Vista at the moment on my desktop. Calibre says my content server is running and iut states it is running on 0.0.0.0:8080. What am I doing wrong?
gypsyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you checked the firewall on your PC to make sure that the calibre server is allowed to accept connections from outside the PC? The default would probably be that it cannot.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyman View Post
I am having this same problem. But if I go to ipcong /all I have the following IPs displayed: Link-local IPv6 Address, DHCP Gateway, and DHCP Server. I have tried all of these on my Galaxy tablet to try to connect to my content server and none of these work. I am running Vista at the moment on my desktop. Calibre says my content server is running and iut states it is running on 0.0.0.0:8080. What am I doing wrong?
the 0.0.0.0 is not the address to use
There should be:
Code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR GA311 Gigabit Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-46-9A-xx-xx-xx  < munged for security
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.7
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.201.224.11
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 07, 2012 20:29:21
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 20:29:21
and you browse for something like
Code:
192.168.0.7:8080