Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
CPhill505
CPhill505 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-600
Any e-ink readers that run apps

I can't make up my mind on which ereader to get. I give myself one month.
If you have a tablet, you can load apps from all the major stores onto it. I don't want a tablet (It's too easy to stray from my book to check on facebook or mobileread or whatever).
So..is there an e-ink reader out there that you can load Nook & Kindle apps onto it?
Not that this would make up my mind for me..I was just wondering.
CPhill505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
The spring design Alex
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Though i don't know about running nook or kindle apps
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhill505 View Post
So..is there an e-ink reader out there that you can load Nook & Kindle apps onto it?
Basically, no. The Kindle does have a few apps for it, and probably more to come. The nook doesn't officially support apps but older nooks can be soft-rooted to allow them. Maybe a nook user can clarify what can be done on those devices.

But, no device supports both. App environments for e-ink devices are really still in their infancy, I think.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
can you clarify? do you want to run the nook app or the knidle app on a reader or are you looking for a reader that can run various applications like games, calculator, calendar etc etc?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
CPhill505

Ok, I'm going nuts trying to decide which reader. I love the Kindle hardware, but I've been getting some really good free books from Nook for PC. I also like getting library books..when I can get what I want.
I thought maybe just forget them both and get a tablet. I can then have books from both stores....but I don't really want all that stuff on a tablet and I want to read outside.
What's a girl to do? Flip a coin or wait and see if BN comes out with some ereader that I like better...oh well
Old 08-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Oh, you mean apps like the Kindle Reader app and the B&N app for reading ebooks. No, there's no e-ink device that does both of those.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
CPhill505

Oh well, Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhill505 View Post
Ok, I'm going nuts trying to decide which reader. I love the Kindle hardware, but I've been getting some really good free books from Nook for PC. I also like getting library books..when I can get what I want.
What exactly do you like about the Kindle hardware?
And what is it you like about the Nook free books?
There are lots of free books to be had for both the Kindle and ePub platform from many sources. Conversely there are plenty of ePub-compatible readers with Kindle-quality hardware.
A bit more specific detail would help.

As it stands, yes, you can get a reading device that will run both Kindle and Nook Apps and let you read outdoors. The hardware exists. It is *not* cheap and battery life is just a few hours but if you *must* have it, it can be done.
(Basically you get an industrial grade Tablet PC with a transflective LCD screen. Motion Computing and Fujitsu used to sell theirs for something around US$2000.00. Not cheap. But these days a lot of folks see nothing wrong in tackling problems by throwing other people's money at them. )

Some folks have grafted Pixel Qi dual-mode screens onto their netbooks to get similar results for around US$700.

Or you could look into De-DRM'ing those Nook books to convert them for kindle or for a nice ePub-based reader like the PB360, which supports library ebooks. (Which is something you can test without spending a cent. )

There are lots of ways to get things done once you know *exactly* what you want. No need to give up just yet.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-27-2010 at 08:48 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote