Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
tfarrell
tfarrell began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Question Server error "(8, 'nodename nor servname provided, or not known')"

Hi,

This is in reference to ticket #2733, for the error "(8, 'nodename nor servname provided, or not known')".

Two weeks ago sunday I visited a friend, and after I told him how pleased I am with Calibre he installed it on his MacOS X laptop. He wanted to use the built in server to serve out some epub books to his iphone. When we installed it, we turned on the server. He imported some epub books, and opened Stanza on his iphone. The server didn't show up. I checked with my iphone as well, same result. I poked around in the preferences, found that the server was showing that it was not started, so I pressed the button to start the server. After a little while, the above mentioned error appeared. We pressed the button on the server configuration screen to test the server and a browser opened with a web page that looked good, but the iphone just couldn't ever find the server.

I looked up the error, found the ticket, and read it. Kovid, I'm posting here to ask if you can give us any advice on how to diagnose and resolve the problem, because your remarks on the ticket are a bit vague and the error doesn't give us a clue what the real problem is.

There doesn't seem to be anything odd about my friend's computer or his network. He has a verizon FIOS wireless router, and all of the devices (MacOS X box, iphones, etc) were all on the same wireless network, and were all using default network settings (DHCP etc), no custom configuration of network settings (other than entering the network password), nothing odd. He and I are both sysadmins, so I don't think this is a case of "error has occurred between user's ears".

Any advice would be welcome.
tfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:00 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Just a thought - you should also be able to connect to the server (if it is running) using a browser. That helps with testing without the need for the iphone end to be set correctly.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
tfarrell
tfarrell began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
itimpi, I regret that I don't understand. Do you mean in some manner other than that which I described above? The test button on the config screen opened a browser to the server, IIRC.

I'm also unclear on what you mean by the iphone end being set correctly. Stanza handles that on its own, and both of us have iphones with Stanza, and neither of them showed the server.

Incidentally, I should add that Stanza Desktop worked fine to serve books from the same MacOS X box to both of our iphones, so it can not be the case that my friend's network is incapable of dealing with a stanza server, or that it doesn't route between devices. The problem has to be something to do with Calibre or our installation thereof in some way.
tfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfarrell View Post
I'm also unclear on what you mean by the iphone end being set correctly. Stanza handles that on its own, and both of us have iphones with Stanza, and neither of them showed the server.
Unless there is some new facility in Calibre, then this is not the case. You need to add the calibre server as a new online catalog at the Stanza end on the iPhone.

Quote:
Incidentally, I should add that Stanza Desktop worked fine to serve books from the same MacOS X box to both of our iphones, so it can not be the case that my friend's network is incapable of dealing with a stanza server, or that it doesn't route between devices. The problem has to be something to do with Calibre or our installation thereof in some way.
As mentioned above, I am not saying that there is any problem with the wifi network - just that you should not expect to automatically see the Calibre server at the Stanza end.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The way Stanza works is to register a BonJour service that the iPhone then detects and connects to. Something in the network setup of your computer is preventing calibre from setting up its own BonJour service. Judging by the error message probably because calibre's BonJour server can't find the ip address/hostname of the computer it is running on.

Note that you don't actually need to have the BonJour server running, as itmpi mentioned above, you can manually enter the calibre server address in your iPhone. See the calibre FAQ for detailed instructions on how to do this.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Note that you don't actually need to have the BonJour server running, as itmpi mentioned above, you can manually enter the calibre server address in your iPhone. See the calibre FAQ for detailed instructions on how to do this.
This is the way you have to go if you want to make your books available over the phone network, which is one of the strengths of Stanza - you can download the books as you want them rather than keeping them all on the iPhone.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
wmertens
wmertens began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza
I have this same problem, and I can't figure out what might be the issue.

Is there anything I can try to troubleshoot this? I would really like to use the Content Server...
wmertens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error, iphone, server, stanza