Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #31
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yes we know. And that is why none of your comments ever have any relevance in context with a group of people who do all these things.

No one here, other than you, has ever suggested the idea of the unwashed masses caring about this problem.

Please stop trying to tell people who do care about these problems that other people won't care, since your statement has no relevance whatsoever to the discussion at hand.
I don't know why you let yourself get worked up about his comments.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #32
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
The only time I've seen the "nag" is when you actually move something into or out of a collection -- you get one pop-up warning you about the sync. It doesn't pop up while you're reading or doing anything else, in my experience. I definitely wish they'd get rid of it, but it's not a dealkiller for me.
I haven't received the nag, but there have been many times where my device lags with page turns because it is syncing online. Which is a major PITA when I am reading. It is for this reason, and of course the battery drain due to this that I have since turned off my wifi. I have developed the habit to turn it on overnight so that it can do its syncing while I am not using the device and then turn it back off all other times.
Advert
Old 02-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #33
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amen to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
NO one should get worked up on any opinions regarding EBOOKS. So far as I know, no nations have gone to war yet over that issue.

If eBook handling was the only big issue on our planet, it would be a very peaceful place, indeed.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #34
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Well, ranting IS a little fun, so why give up the opportunity to do it for a good cause?

It's not like I stay up at night brooding over it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #35
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Well, ranting IS a little fun, so why give up the opportunity to do it for a good cause?

It's not like I stay up at night brooding over it.
Advert
Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #36
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Is it possible you converted the book? If so, then it is no longer the book Amazon gave you.
Many books are sold without DRM to begin with. If DRM was the only determinant of whether or not you see the "won't sync to cloud" message, then any book bought from Baen or Tor or KDP (and I don't know how many other books as well) would get that error as well.
A book with DRM is exactly the same as a book without DRM, as far as your (matching ID) Kindle is concerned even when factoring in Alf, until you do other changes. Alf does the same decryption that your Kindle does.
Your still not understanding my messages relevant to bookcat's questions. Collections work exactly as they should for me. I never said DRM was the only determinant. I was hypothesizing about a specific case of Amazon purchases sideloaded through their website. And I was clarifying your comments to state that the cloud syncing comment has nothing to do with Wifi on/off and is about whether or not the book that you have sideloaded exists in Amazon's cloud library. This message occurs even when Wi-fi is on. Anyway it doesn't really matter, and I don't think that we need to continue the discussion any further.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #37
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Its only fun so many times though..... and it just encourages certain posters to keep posting in the hope someone will waste their time bothering to reply.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #38
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Its only fun so many times though..... and it just encourages certain posters to keep posting in the hope someone will waste their time bothering to reply.
Which is exactly why I know longer bother.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 AM   #39
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I understood and appreciated your post Bookworm_Girl, thank you. The kindle should arrive pre-registered, and I can deal with a nag telling me that the book can't be sync'd. My mother nagged me for most of my life, the only reason she's stopped is because she's nearly 100 and I don't see her much. So I can deal with nags.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #40
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Oh, yeah. Replace mom with a Kindle sans Wi-Fi. You just went from nagging annoyance to nagging hell.

Are you insane?!

Downgrade to 5.4.0, turn off Wifi forever and be done with it....
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #41
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Oh, yeah. Replace mom with a Kindle sans Wi-Fi. You just went from nagging annoyance to nagging hell.

Are you insane?!

Downgrade to 5.4.0, turn off Wifi forever and be done with it....
LOL....shouldn't be that big of a deal, since this is her first Kindle and she doesn't have all those ghost collections....

Of course, I returned mine because I was so mad about it all.

If I still had it, I would definitely go to 5.4.0.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #42
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
@SIRMARU: Could you please REDUCE YOUR USE OF CAPS. It is OBNOXIOUS it gives me a HEADACHE.

Last edited by Rizla; 02-19-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #43
Micah Dawson
Micah Dawson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Nook(Windows 8 App) and Kindle(Windows 8 App)
Well i got the Kindle Paperwhite 2 yesterday :P
It is here....i am getting used to the look and feel of it compared to my 10.6 inch surface tablet i use primarily lol

(I wasn't expecting so many replies to my thread, though most are off-topic lol)
Micah Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #44
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
@SIRMARU: Could you please REDUCE YOUR USE OF CAPS. It is OBNOXIOUS it gives me a HEADACHE.
Oh sheesh...I had an irate ebay buyer send me a message with all caps last week....I considered it a form of bullying! Thankfully I haven't heard from him since. (I was unable to send an item and immediately refunded his money. That sent him into a tirade).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #45
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I've had my Paperwhite since October. I had a Kindle Keyboard for three years, but I dropped it one to many times and the screen broke. I was torn between the Kindle 4, but chose the Paperwhite because of the light. I didn't think I would like the touch screen, but I have grown quite used to it. I like highlighting using the touch screen, and I like that footnotes appear in a pop-up. I thought I would miss the keyboard, but I find that I really don't. The on-screen keyboard is fine for those times when I do have to enter text. The only thing I miss is sound, I used to plug my Kindle into my car stereo and listen to audiobooks or books via text to speech. When my Kindle Keyboard broke, I picked up a Kindle Touch for my daughter. After I finish reading to her, I have the Kindle read to her via text to speech. It's the only way I get to escape!
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote