Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #31
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I had to read Johnny Tremain in 8th grade English. I hated that book. Maybe because at the time at home, I was reading Animal Farm, and felt JT was beneath me... my friends were reading Zena Henderson in the equivalent class... I've never really forgiven my 8th grade English teacher for that.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Anyone remember the Edward Eager books?
Half Magic is one of my favorite books; I make sure any child I'm close to reads it at the proper age. Knight's Castle is just as good--and I've bought all the Eager books in ebook format. I can't say that about any other books from my childhood.

I read and reread Johnny Tremain, too!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I had to read Johnny Tremain in 8th grade English. I hated that book. Maybe because at the time at home, I was reading Animal Farm, and felt JT was beneath me... my friends were reading Zena Henderson in the equivalent class... I've never really forgiven my 8th grade English teacher for that.
Becca, I couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 when I read the books. They still hold a special place for me. It really made me appreciate and like history. Two things that have stuck with me ever since.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #34
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
If I had been younger when meeting Johnny Tremain, I might have enjoyed it more. As it was, I had no patience with Johnny (during that time I also critiqued Romeo and Juliette for not being romantic but being stupid.). For an 8th grade reading (about 13yo) I expected something more complex and sophisticated.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #35
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
"My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #36
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
My mother said it was Charlotte's Web but I don't remember being obsessive about it as a kid. I know I loved the story and took it out from the library so many times that they ended up giving it to me because it was so beat they got a new one. It fell apart long ago. (spoiler) I cried like a crazy person when that spider died. (spoiler)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CharlotteWeb.png
Views:	180
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	104456  

Last edited by pagansoul; 04-15-2013 at 02:47 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #37
Pressbox
I'm New Here
Pressbox began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pretty sure it was one of the Matt Christopher sports books I read as a kid. No surprise the first book I ever wrote was also about sports.
Pressbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #38
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Some of my favorite books have been removed form circulation because they are not P.C.
Does Tiger Butter ring a bell?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #39
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Some of my favorite books have been removed form circulation because they are not P.C.
Does Tiger Butter ring a bell?
They're not the only thing out of circulation due to not being P.C. The restaurant chain known as Sambo's Sam Battistone, Sr. and Newell Bohnett went out of business due to people thinking it not P.C. As far as other books Dr. Dolittle (or rather his parrot)isn't quite P.C. (at least in older copies of the books) and some have tried to have the Narnia books re-written due to the built in Christian outlook of the tales. And of course the works of Mark Twain are always being challenged due to their writing. People have even objected to Red Riding Hood and at least one of the books of Beatrix Potter. Red Riding Hood in some illustrations is taking a bottle of wine to her sick grandmother and The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle because an illustration showed a basket of apples (implying that she was making cider). People will find an excuse to ban just about anything.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
theducks, PG has it, with illustrations.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #41
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
The first book I read was Go Dog Go. The first one in school was Spot (part of the Dick and Jane series). My aunt, a teacher, was always giving me Beverly Cleary books, which I liked. But the first book that made me want to go to the bookstore and buy another book was Tom Swift and his Rocket Ship.

Last edited by HistoryWes; 04-15-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Misuse of pronouns-- sadly.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
They're not the only thing out of circulation due to not being P.C. The restaurant chain known as Sambo's Sam Battistone, Sr. and Newell Bohnett went out of business due to people thinking it not P.C. As far as other books Dr. Dolittle (or rather his parrot)isn't quite P.C. (at least in older copies of the books) and some have tried to have the Narnia books re-written due to the built in Christian outlook of the tales. And of course the works of Mark Twain are always being challenged due to their writing. People have even objected to Red Riding Hood and at least one of the books of Beatrix Potter. Red Riding Hood in some illustrations is taking a bottle of wine to her sick grandmother and The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle because an illustration showed a basket of apples (implying that she was making cider). People will find an excuse to ban just about anything.
That Chain started in Santa Barbara (I ate there a bunch). They had the story illustrations (lighted) surrounding the dining area. IMHO Better pancakes than IHOP
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #43
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
That Chain started in Santa Barbara (I ate there a bunch). They had the story illustrations (lighted) surrounding the dining area. IMHO Better pancakes than IHOP
The one here was terrible. Of course the IHOP here is not any better.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
They had good sized ice cream sundae's as well. I remember having one when I was young. One thing they had on them was jelly beans. Of course the cold of the ice cream made the jelly beans hard as rocks which made for a slow down in eating the sundae. That would have been round 1976 or 1977 I think (I was 6-7 yrs old). I understand the one in Santa Barbara is the only one left now. P.C. strikes again. Literature has a bit more staying power.

Last edited by crich70; 04-16-2013 at 07:22 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #45
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
I'm in the 'can't remember the first book' camp, I think i just loved it from the start. But I do remember my father reading Wodehouse Mulliner stroies to me when I was very small, and laughing and laughing and laughing.

He did wonderful voices and it was great to see the 'adult world' made ridiculous. the Moomin books were pretty key too. Then, packed away to boarding school when pretty young, I sat on my bed reading Dodie Smith's 101 Dalmations when dropped off for the first time. Buried my head in the pages as all the other girls came in and found their labelled beds. I remember that feeling of protection. Still have that edition.....

Now I have three step kids, the oldest (a girl), gets it. The middle child (a 14 yr old boy), not so much and given his age there's nothing I can do about it. He didn't like reading at 11 so it isn't just adolescence. It saddens me actually, but perhaps he'll change his mind later.......

The younger, a boy, I think does get it. He doesn't reach for a book off his own bat, but he likes sharing reading time with his dad and they are reading Sword in the Stone - T H White, by my suggestion. It seems to be going down well. He asked what crenellations were the other day, so dad explained and the next day I came across him drawing castle walls with lovely, teeth-like crenellations all along them. Too cool!!!

long post, sorry......
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote