Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
notzed
notzed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.notzed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.notzed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.notzed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.notzed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kobo touch
Question How did kobo write such slow software?

So i'm pretty bamboozled by this.

Currently it takes 25 seconds to close a specific HTML file (a few hundred K, only 5000 odd lines) on the kobo glo - which is a 1Ghz cpu. Attrocious. (and the fact it hard-locks the machine whilst doing it is even worse, haven't they heard of threads?)

The only way I can think is that they did something really dumb like:

array[] all_lines;
while (line = remove_first_element_shifting_the_rest_up(all_line s)) {
free(line);
}

Despite using Java, which is supposedly 'slow' (it isn't, although tbh the arm implementation isn't as efficient as x86), my experiments are:
- faster start up time
- much much more responsive to touches
- never misses finger motions
- quicker rendering
- etc.

Whereas the kobo touch/glo is:
- slow as a wet week in almost every single operation, even pressing a button is slow

After another 12 months I would have expected it to be really amazing - the hardware is really very very competent, and the CPU is many times faster than the eink display can possible keep up with.

It makes their product feel like rubbish, but it's not the hardware's fault.

Last edited by notzed; 01-15-2013 at 04:02 PM.
notzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
Dunno if I agree, without knowing more.

HTML is not split into lines so your example is missing the point. Rendering html is always a difficult process because the only way to see how the text flows is to ask the text rendering engine to render it, even if the result is known to be off-screen. Then, for each line, there's several extra reflows to figure out best hyphenation position, and then you can move to the next line.

I'm not saying there are no optimisations and other tricks, but:
- this is why epub is split into chapters
- modern web browsers also lock up for considerable time reflowing html
- "threads" is not just a label you slap on a program, and in fact on single-core hardware, interruptable code is probably better than multithreaded code
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Indeed. Convert to ePub with calibre which will break tr document down into smaller chunks.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo devices do multitask. If you start a WiFi sync, you can keep using the device while that is happening.

Personally, I don't think closing the book and returning to the home page would benefit from multitasking. The delay is probably not in getting rid of the book from memory, but in updating the status of the book, saving bookmarks and annotations and then retrieving the list of books to display. Because they all rely on the database, multitasking or threading might not help. Plus the last step relies on the first being done, so there are some dependencies.

My Glo takes 5 seconds to close a book, which does seem a long time. So, 25 seems excessive. How many books do you have on the device?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iPads, Kobo, Nexus 7 and many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by notzed View Post
So i'm pretty bamboozled by this.

Currently it takes 25 seconds to close a specific HTML file (a few hundred K, only 5000 odd lines) on the kobo glo - which is a 1Ghz cpu. Attrocious. (and the fact it hard-locks the machine whilst doing it is even worse, haven't they heard of threads?)

The only way I can think is that they did something really dumb like:

array[] all_lines;
while (line = remove_first_element_shifting_the_rest_up(all_line s)) {
free(line);
}

Despite using Java, which is supposedly 'slow' (it isn't, although tbh the arm implementation isn't as efficient as x86), my experiments are:
- faster start up time
- much much more responsive to touches
- never misses finger motions
- quicker rendering
- etc.

Whereas the kobo touch/glo is:
- slow as a wet week in almost every single operation, even pressing a button is slow

After another 12 months I would have expected it to be really amazing - the hardware is really very very competent, and the CPU is many times faster than the eink display can possible keep up with.

It makes their product feel like rubbish, but it's not the hardware's fault.
I love my Kobo..maybe you should be trying it for what it is designed for.. mine works perfect..just my 3 cents..
DG

Last edited by GadgetMan; 01-15-2013 at 11:15 PM.
GadgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert