Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Question about user control panel

Recently, I've logged into my account and have seen a message pop up. Not a private message, but something more akin to instant messaging. When I click on it, I was able to reply back. But now how do I find this record of instant messages?

I just logged onto my account and can't find them. I can find all private messages, no problem with that. It's just those chat-like instant messages I don't know where to find. And how do I initiate them?

Am I the only one who has problems using the user control panel?

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Recently, I've logged into my account and have seen a message pop up. Not a private message, but something more akin to instant messaging. When I click on it, I was able to reply back. But now how do I find this record of instant messages?

I just logged onto my account and can't find them. I can find all private messages, no problem with that. It's just those chat-like instant messages I don't know where to find. And how do I initiate them?

Am I the only one who has problems using the user control panel?

--Pat
It is confusing. The trick is that the heading called "your profile" is clickable, unlike all the other headings. Click it and you will see the visitor messages.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahh, yes! That's it. Thanks a lot Dale. I didn't realize those messages were sent/received via the user's profile page. But now one thing has me concerned. I just clicked on your avatar and came to your profile page and all visitor messages were showing. So they are not private? Wow, I didn't realize that. Does that mean when I reply to one of these messages they are also not private? LOL, if so, I better be careful what I say in them.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Ahh, yes! That's it. Thanks a lot Dale. I didn't realize those messages were sent/received via the user's profile page. But now one thing has me concerned. I just clicked on your avatar and came to your profile page and all visitor messages were showing. So they are not private? Wow, I didn't realize that. Does that mean when I reply to one of these messages they are also not private? LOL, if so, I better be careful what I say in them.
That is correct. PM is private but visitor messages are public although not posted universally. You should always be careful what you say on the Internet, private or not.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
PatNY
Zennist

Phew! I went back and checked my recent messages and didn't see anything that might be embarrassing if publicly viewed. But it's good to know and I'll be careful in the future.

In terms of the internet and privacy, you are right, Dale. I kind of always knew that the government and a site's owners and managers might always have access to anything I write. But I do expect a level of privacy from other people if something is marked "private" as in private messaging.

Thanks again for your help.
Advert