Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #421
ACGAuthor
Enthusiast
ACGAuthor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Okay, here's a list of all the tags in Calibre at present that would get categorized automatically into the SFF/UF/PNR Genre:

Quote:
Dragons
Dwarves
dystopian
elves
faeries
Fairy Tales,
Fantasy
Fantasy & Magic
futuristic
Gods
Hard Science Fiction
Hobbits
Horror
Horror Tales
magic
Magic & Wizards
orcs
paranormal
psychic ability
Science Fiction
Sci Fi
sci-fi
Science Fiction & Fantasy
shifters
Space Opera
Star Trek
Urban Fantasy
Vampires
Witches & Wizards
zombies
Whew! and that doesn't even cover the ones with only one book under the tag. It would help if these things were uniform, but what can you do, short of going through and retagging everything?
ACGAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #422
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACGAuthor View Post
Of course, then there's the question of how to distinguish the "misc" authors from the special authors who get their own folders, which I'm sure is an entirely different headache, lol.
Anything wrong with doing both? It's even more accurate, in the sense that they ARE conformant to the tag specification.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:09 AM   #423
ACGAuthor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Anything wrong with doing both? It's even more accurate, in the sense that they ARE conformant to the tag specification.
You mean have the "special" authors categorized under the misc authors collection as well as their own collection?

The only thing wrong with it is that it would make the "misc" authors collections much bigger and more cluttered, so it would take longer to browse. Instead of a collection with, say, 100 books in it, I'd have one with 150 or more. I have about 30 "special" authors, some of whom have 20 or more books.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:12 AM   #424
ACGAuthor
Enthusiast

Quote:
As far as "Science Fiction", "Sci-Fi", "scifi" goes, you may just want to edit those tags directly, since they are the same thing, but not conforming to standards across metadata sources. I would think it's better to have these changes available directly in the tag browser, and of course it will shorten what may become quite the list.

Any tag can be edited in the tag browser and the change will propagate across all books with that tag, merging with a pre-existing tag if necessary.
True. I've been doing this with some really obscure ones. I had, for example "science fiction; American" and "science fiction; Canadian" tags that I edited to put into just "science fiction."

Ideally, when this is all said and done, I will know how to edit the list at will if need be if I find something is missing or needs to be changed.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #425
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For that list alone, the following would work:
Code:
{tags:switch(Dragons,SFF/UF/PNR,Dwarves,SFF/UF/PNR,dystopian,SFF/UF/PNR,elves,SFF/UF/PNR,faeries,SFF/UF/PNR,Fairy Tales,SFF/UF/PNR,Fantasy,SFF/UF/PNR,Fantasy & Magic,SFF/UF/PNR,futuristic,SFF/UF/PNR,Gods,SFF/UF/PNR,Hard Science Fiction,SFF/UF/PNR,Hobbits,SFF/UF/PNR,Horror,SFF/UF/PNR,Horror Tales,SFF/UF/PNR,magic,SFF/UF/PNR,Magic & Wizards,SFF/UF/PNR,orcs,SFF/UF/PNR,paranormal,SFF/UF/PNR,psychic ability,SFF/UF/PNR,Science Fiction,SFF/UF/PNR,Sci Fi,SFF/UF/PNR,sci-fi,SFF/UF/PNR,Science Fiction & Fantasy,SFF/UF/PNR,shifters,SFF/UF/PNR,Space Opera,SFF/UF/PNR,Star Trek,SFF/UF/PNR,Urban Fantasy,SFF/UF/PNR,Vampires,SFF/UF/PNR,Witches & Wizards,SFF/UF/PNR,zombies,SFF/UF/PNR,)}
Obviously, we will need to fill in more pattern,value pairs for the rest.

If tag exists, #collection will be equal to "SFF/UF/PNR", if not, the last field is blank (see how it ends in a "," and nothingness follows the ","?) so no value will be used from this template chunk. Note also that it will be satisfied with finding the first tag, if there are multiple matching tags ONLY the first one in the switch() list will be used.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 AM   #426
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Also, try to consolidate tags, it makes things simpler both here and in general.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 AM   #427
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Dragons
Dwarves
dystopian
elves
faeries
Fairy Tales,
Fantasy
Fantasy & Magic
futuristic
Gods
Hard Science Fiction
Hobbits
Horror
Horror Tales
magic
Magic & Wizards
orcs
paranormal
psychic ability
Science Fiction
Sci Fi
sci-fi
Science Fiction & Fantasy
shifters
Space Opera
Star Trek
Urban Fantasy
Vampires
Witches & Wizards
zombies
I would suggest start with using only one value for
Quote:
Science Fiction
Sci Fi
sci-fi
Wizards are ALWAYS magic, and fantasy means magic too. Sci-Fi and fantasy are two different things. Just my own personal opinionated nature, though.

Quote:
Horror
Horror Tales
are the same
Old 01-06-2014, 01:33 AM   #428
ACGAuthor
Enthusiast

Quote:
For that list alone, the following would work:
Code:
{tags:switch(Dragons,SFF/UF/PNR,Dwarves,SFF/UF/PNR,dystopian,SFF/UF/PNR,elves,SFF/UF/PNR,faeries,SFF/UF/PNR,Fairy Tales,SFF/UF/PNR,Fantasy,SFF/UF/PNR,Fantasy & Magic,SFF/UF/PNR,futuristic,SFF/UF/PNR,Gods,SFF/UF/PNR,Hard Science Fiction,SFF/UF/PNR,Hobbits,SFF/UF/PNR,Horror,SFF/UF/PNR,Horror Tales,SFF/UF/PNR,magic,SFF/UF/PNR,Magic & Wizards,SFF/UF/PNR,orcs,SFF/UF/PNR,paranormal,SFF/UF/PNR,psychic ability,SFF/UF/PNR,Science Fiction,SFF/UF/PNR,Sci Fi,SFF/UF/PNR,sci-fi,SFF/UF/PNR,Science Fiction & Fantasy,SFF/UF/PNR,shifters,SFF/UF/PNR,Space Opera,SFF/UF/PNR,Star Trek,SFF/UF/PNR,Urban Fantasy,SFF/UF/PNR,Vampires,SFF/UF/PNR,Witches & Wizards,SFF/UF/PNR,zombies,SFF/UF/PNR,)}
Obviously, we will need to fill in more pattern,value pairs for the rest.

If tag exists, #collection will be equal to "SFF/UF/PNR", if not, the last field is blank (see how it ends in a "," and nothingness follows the ","?) so no value will be used from this template chunk. Note also that it will be satisfied with finding the first tag, if there are multiple matching tags ONLY the first one in the switch() list will be used.
Okay, that worked. I do definitely need to do some tag wrangling to make this as effective as possible, but I suppose that is unavoidable. It's ridiculous the amount of housekeeping that goes into adding books to the library, lol.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 AM   #429
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
To me, it seems like that list of tags/genres mixes higher level genres (which I call primary) with lower level genres (which I call secondary, because they are not really hierarchic children of the primary).

In my own genre scheme, these are primary: science fiction, fantasy (not urban), urban fantasy, paranormal, horror. Some people consider all of those speculative fiction, but that is such a broad category that I don't find it useful.

Magic, for example, can apply to any of the primary genres I mentioned (except arguably science fiction), which is why I consider magic secondary.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:37 AM   #430
ACGAuthor
Enthusiast

Quote:
I would suggest start with using only one value for

Wizards are ALWAYS magic, and fantasy means magic too. Sci-Fi and fantasy are two different things. Just my own personal opinionated nature, though.

are the same
LOL, yeah, I know. I'm being lazy. Well, not really, but definitely looking to simplify the process. I think I was basically looking for a way that would require the bare minimum of housekeeping. Because right now, adding a batch of books to my library, cataloging them properly so that they will be added to the correct collections, and sideloading them to my PW can take quite a while. Of course, I'll still need to go through and double check any automated process anyway because there will always be books that the filter misses because they have some wacky random tag that isn't on the list, or no tags at all, or or or.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #431
ACGAuthor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
To me, it seems like that list of tags/genres mixes higher level genres (which I call primary) with lower level genres (which I call secondary, because they are not really hierarchic children of the primary).

In my own genre scheme, these are primary: science fiction, fantasy (not urban), urban fantasy, paranormal, horror. Some people consider all of those speculative fiction, but that is such a broad category that I don't find it useful.

Magic, for example, can apply to any of the primary genres I mentioned (except arguably science fiction), which is why I consider magic secondary.
My "High" Genres are as follows:

Family-Friendly (Childrens or Young Adult type stuff)
M/F Romance
M/M Romance
SFF/UF/PNR

If I made the top-tier genres any more specific, then I'd have many more top tiers than I really want.

Within a Top Tier, I might have collections for a specific author, a specific series, or a specific tag (eg. Western Romance, Historical Romance, Paranormal Romance.) Or, as eschwartz and I were discussing, in the genre where I have way too many authors to keep track of, I might also have collections for authors by alphabetical groupings.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #432
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
LOL, yeah, I know. I'm being lazy. Well, not really, but definitely looking to simplify the process. I think I was basically looking for a way that would require the bare minimum of housekeeping. Because right now, adding a batch of books to my library, cataloging them properly so that they will be added to the correct collections, and sideloading them to my PW can take quite a while. Of course, I'll still need to go through and double check any automated process anyway because there will always be books that the filter misses because they have some wacky random tag that isn't on the list, or no tags at all, or or or.
My way of simplifying the process is to not download any tags at all, but designate my own genres (primary and secondary) after reading the comments. That is pretty simple, compared to all the work you and eschwartz are putting in here.

Not knocking it. Different strokes. I find this discussion between you and eschwartz quite interesting.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:48 AM   #433
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Sure thing, then.

BTW, I created that template by opening the text editor, copying your list, and adding ",SFF/UF/PNR," to the end of each line. Then I did a search and replace for "\n" replaced by "" to remove line breaks. Nice and fast. You might have to use "\r\n" on a windows computer to match a line break, though.

Mechanizing stuff is fun.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:48 AM   #434
ACGAuthor
Enthusiast

Quote:
My way of simplifying the process is to not download any tags at all, but designate my own genres (primary and secondary) after reading the comments. That is pretty simple, compared to all the work you and eschwartz are putting in here.

Not knocking it. Different strokes. I find this discussion between you and eschwartz quite interesting.
LOL well sure, if you're gonna go about being LOGICAL about it and all!

No, but seriously, I think we both realize this. The point here is that getting the program to do the work for us is a challenge and a puzzle. Well, I'm presenting the challenge, eschwartz is solving it. It's fun!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 AM   #435
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:

Hey, I'm just a facilitator. The only tags I have I use to keep track of tasks I need to do, or mark anthologies, (unusual) book sources, etc.

I know what genre each book is, and I don't care about it either; I choose based on series.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-06-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Tags
custom column, tag, tags