Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Best free process for cleaning up a PDF for Mobipocket?

I recently wanted to convert a PDF to mobi for my Kindle. My usual process is to convert the PDF with Mobipocket creator, clean up the HTML with Word and rebuild the mobi.

Unfortunately the newer version of Word I "upgraded" too, just does not like the html output from mobipocet at all, and refuses to open the files for editing. So I'm wondering if there's a good editing program that will work well with mobipocket. I'd rather have something free, but I'm not adverse to spending a small amount for the program.

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I've already tried Open Office, and Komposer, neither of which seem to handle the files very well.

Last edited by carld; 07-31-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: More info
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
When I have to get clean html from a pdf file, I use "pdfreflow" but I don't think it runs on Windows.

Calibre is another choice (other than MPC) but basically all the PDF -> anything conversion tools I know of are sub-optimal.

Hope someone else has better suggestions. I'm curious too.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks st_albert. There is actually a windows version. It's also incorporated into Calibre's conversion utility.

But, the file still needs some cleanup, and that's where I'm still stuck. I may have to track down and install an older version of Word to do what I want.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
carld
Wizard

Update: Got it sorted out. I converted the PDF with mobipocket creator, opened the resulting html file in Open Office, saved it, and was able to open it in Word to do my usual clean up.

I need to do some experimenting to see if Calibre, Mobipocket or the standalone version of pdfreflow produces the cleanest html.

Thanks again.