Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Djehuty
Connoisseur
Djehuty began at the beginning.

Device: none
A Holmes Collection?

I'm looking for a top-notch complete collection of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries by Arthur Conan Doyle, with the original illustrations. I've been having a devil of a time finding it. From Google I have a choice of PDFs in which every page is an image (and thus they load very slowly in my PRS-505), or epub files with so many OCR errors they make me cringe. There's a volume from Bantam Classics which collects all the stories, and is widely available, but as far as I can tell it has no illustrations. I bought a "Complete Illustrated Collection" from the Sony ebookstore, but it only has about a dozen illustrations, and has quite a few formatting errors.

Might anyone here know of a complete Holmes collection, with the original illustrations, which has been digitized well enough that it won't make me grind my teeth as I read it?
Djehuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10153

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12677

The above links are the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus arranged and formatted by HarryT. It includes 4 novels and 5 short stories. The first link is LRF format readable on Sony Readers. The second link is PRC format which is mobipocket.

Check the E-Books link at the top of the page for many other works by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The above is a non-illustrated anthology. I am also (as time permits) putting together fully-illustrated versions of each book separately (only 1 done so far). Search for "Illustratated Sherlock Holmes" to find that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The above is a non-illustrated anthology. I am also (as time permits) putting together fully-illustrated versions of each book separately (only 1 done so far). Search for "Illustratated Sherlock Holmes" to find that.
Hmm... what illustrations are not there? I recall the story of the dancing men has the pictures on the messages in it. Which I was very surprised to see.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It currently only has 'The Adventures", but see HarryT's Conan Doyle, Sir Arthur: Illustrated Sherlock Holmes. v1.

The ePub versions from Google might make a good illustrated version easier to create, and Google seems to allow this (How can I reuse public domain works?).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #6
Djehuty
Connoisseur
Djehuty began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks!

HarryT, I've downloaded both of your Holmes ebooks, and I'll eagerly await the other illustrated volumes. Thank you very much, indeed!
Djehuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... what illustrations are not there? I recall the story of the dancing men has the pictures on the messages in it. Which I was very surprised to see.

BOb
The illustrations that form a part of the story, such the dancing men in the story of the same name, are there. What are not there are all the illustrations which originally accompanied the stories in their magazine publication. Download the separate illustrated version of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and you'll see the difference.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I'm glad this topic was created because I have a Holmesian question. I do not want to read ALL of his stories. Only the best of the best. Can those who know Doyle's work give me the top 5 stories or books that would make everyone's top 10 list for instance? I have read The Hound of the Basketcases (;]). Just trying to decide what are the 'And Then There Were None' stories for Holmes.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I'm glad this topic was created because I have a Holmesian question. I do not want to read ALL of his stories. Only the best of the best. Can those who know Doyle's work give me the top 5 stories or books that would make everyone's top 10 list for instance? I have read The Hound of the Basketcases (;]). Just trying to decide what are the 'And Then There Were None' stories for Holmes.
I believe that if 5 people answered your question, they would give you 5 different stories each. They're different, and they're almost all good.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:01 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just download the anthology and "dip in". Everyone's "top 10" list would be different.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think that "The Speckled Band" would certainly be one.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote