Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Discussion Thread: The Hound of the Baskervilles (spoilers)

Hello all...

So it's about that time. Lets talk about HOTB. I for one liked this book very much. So much in fact that I went back to read the rest of the Omnibus.

For some reason right away I had a feeling that Stapletons sister wasn't his sister. It was interesting the Holmes decided to camp out on the Moor. It was apparent that Watson is good a sleuthing too having been able to determine this... as good as Holmes is, he couldn't seclude himself 100%.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hello all...

So it's about that time. Lets talk about HOTB. I for one liked this book very much. So much in fact that I went back to read the rest of the Omnibus.

For some reason right away I had a feeling that Stapletons sister wasn't his sister. It was interesting the Holmes decided to camp out on the Moor. It was apparent that Watson is good a sleuthing too having been able to determine this... as good as Holmes is, he couldn't seclude himself 100%.

BOb
I'm sad to say that I missed that. I didn't attempt to try and figure it out at all though.

This was my favorite Holmes story. I got a little creeped out in several parts of the book. I thought it was a very engaging read.

For fans of House, I went into this knowing the show was loosely based on Sherlock Holmes, and was looking for parallels. Holmes' drug addiction wasn't a factor in this book, but I did notice his arrogance. Actually, I felt he was more arrogant in this story than the other ones I read. Did anyone else?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
For some reason right away I had a feeling that Stapletons sister wasn't his sister.
I thought that too - initially because they looked so different, and later on because of his jealousy.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
I also enjoyed the book very much. It's different from the sort of thing I normally read. I thought the plot line was clever...

I did not know that House was supposed to be based on Sherlock Holmes.....
Katiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiesue View Post
I also enjoyed the book very much. It's different from the sort of thing I normally read. I thought the plot line was clever...

I did not know that House was supposed to be based on Sherlock Holmes.....
Found it out on IMDB.

His address is the same as Holmes. Also, Wilson=Watson, etc.
Advert
Old 12-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
OK...feeling old and out of touch here....what is IMDB?
Katiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
I didn't know either, so I googled it......

"Internet Data Movie Base"......

http://www.imdb.com/
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
http://www.imdb.com

It's an online movie database. Sounds boring, until you realize its potential. Here are some of its uses:
1) Watch a movie, and at the same time read the "Goofs" in the movie, and keep an eye out for them
2) Read the Trivia section beforehand, and impress the person(s) watching with you with weird facts about the movie (never gets old)
3) You so completely know someone in a movie, but can't put your finger on it? Search the movie, click the star, and see what other movies they are in. Leland Stottlemeyer from Monk was Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs??? Oh yes, it's right here on IMDB.

I look at that site all the time and I hardly even watch movies.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I love Monk!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
O.K. I confess! I cheated!

I've got an audio version and I listened to it again.

The voices are just right.

This is one of my favourite Sherlock Holmes stories. I have read them all in the past. My husband is a real fan and has as many dvds as he can find.

I find it interesting how this story gives you a feel for living in the past. It wouldn't work today. They'd be driving so the hound couldn't chase them, no telgrams to put in someone's hand. no boot boy to clean your shoes for you, travelling by train instead of flying or driving.

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I've got an audio version and I listened to it again.

The voices are just right.
If you've got a free audio book that you could point us to. I might be interested in listening to it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you've got a free audio book that you could point us to. I might be interested in listening to it.

BOb
Sorry, wasn't free.
I bought a set of 5 cds and transferred files to my Creative mp3 player.

I buy lots of audio books. And I'm up to my 10th mp3 player - and not one has been an ipod.

Laine
Old 12-23-2008, 04:38 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It was apparent that Watson is good a sleuthing too having been able to determine this... as good as Holmes is, he couldn't seclude himself 100%.

BOb
One of the reasons I enjoy this book is that Watson is allowed to "be his own man" in it, and proves himself to be both brave and resourceful. It's an unfortunate fact that in many of the Sherlock Holmes film adaptations, Watson is portrayed as a "buffoon" - especially the portrayal by Nigel Bruce in the 1940s films with Basil Rathbone as Holmes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #14
Laine
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One of the reasons I enjoy this book is that Watson is allowed to "be his own man" in it, and proves himself to be both brave and resourceful. It's an unfortunate fact that in many of the Sherlock Holmes film adaptations, Watson is portrayed as a "buffoon" - especially the portrayal by Nigel Bruce in the 1940s films with Basil Rathbone as Holmes.
Those are the ones my husband likes the best. I think as we get older nostalgia gets a stronger old on us.

Laine
Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 AM   #15
Laine
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
Those are the ones my husband likes the best. I think as we get older nostalgia gets a stronger old on us.

Laine
That should, of course, have been 'hold'.

I'd blame it on my keyboard being clogged up with crumbs and cat hair but the new eeepc is the same so it must just me being 'unetten'* as my mother used to say.

* Lincolnshire dialect word for klutz - no idea how to spell it as I only ever heard it from her and she had a hearing problem.

Laine