Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Michael Dell buys.. Dell

BBC News are reporting that Michael Dell has bought Dell Computers and taken it off the stock market, in a deal worth a reported $24.4bn. I wonder what the motivation for that was? To bring it back under his personal control, perhaps?

EDIT: Story now up on the news site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21342632

Last edited by HarryT; 02-05-2013 at 10:03 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Interesting. My first new computer was a Dell back in the 90s. What a different experience back then. Here's to hoping Dell gets back to its roots.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
BBC News are reporting that Michael Dell has bought Dell Computers and taken it off the stock market, in a deal worth a reported $24.4bn. I wonder what the motivation for that was? To bring it back under his personal control, perhaps?
To put it in perspective it is hardly that he has personally bought it, but he is the visible face of the deal. Motivation to keep it from going under and losing the entire value of his ~14% existing stake.

Last edited by murraypaul; 02-05-2013 at 10:17 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I love this and will be watching carefully. This may be a new model for innovative companies -- raise venture capital to launch a new idea, buy back the stock, and go private.

In my unschooled opinion, this is the cure for stock market speculation. With a majority of the stock held by true fans of the company, the management team can focus on company and products rather than stock price. For the same reasons, I'd love to see these companies reward stockholders with dividends -- a share of the success -- instead of price growth.

Good luck Michael Dell. I look forward to buying a Dell computer that is not built for accountants.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
This has been coming for quite a while now. I wish him well.

Dell tried hard in the past to be innovative, all the way back to Windows CE phones. They were not successful. I wonder what he thinks he has up his sleeve now? I still respect their business class laptops but I don't see wild success in their future.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I still own 2 Dells, a 1420 laptop (used a a media server now) and a 530 desktop both purchased in 2008 and still running strong. I also own some stock in Dell so I'll be waiting for my check Mr. Dell.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I still own 2 Dells, a 1420 laptop (used a a media server now) and a 530 desktop both purchased in 2008 and still running strong. I also own some stock in Dell so I'll be waiting for my check Mr. Dell.
My first computer was a Dell, and except for my ASUS netbook, I've bought Dell ever since. My first flat-screen TV was even a Dell. I've never had any major problems, and small problems were always rectified promptly.

I also have a few shares of stock in Dell, and I'm not too happy about the $13.65 price, but, oh well.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Interesting that Dell has taken his own advice to "shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Dell came back as CEO after the company went off the rails without him. By taking it private again he can now run the company as if it were once again a start-up. Considering the investors he lined up to raise the US$20B worth of money for the buyback he must have a convincing story to tell.
Hopefully it will work; in his day Dell was a very consumer-friendly company that made good PCs at good prices.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
According to CNBC, total PC sales dropped last year, the first time that has happened since the PC was introduced.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Define total PC sales. I contend that this includes desktops, laptops, and tablets. Given this definition, sales are up.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
PC are losing market to tablets and laptop, but for games and productive stuff, they'll stay.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Well, I bought a laptop from Dell a year and a half ago and I get ads form Dell. The one that I've received yesterday was about this:

Maybe Microsoft thought that this system will be good to show off Windows 8.
Quote:
The buy-out of the remaining shares will be carried out by a consortium made up of Mr Dell himself, his own investment fund, and Silver Lake. It will be financed by loans from four banks, and by a $2bn loan from Microsoft.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I have bought several Dells. This one I am on now is the last that still runs. A desk top over 10 years old. I have added to it and maxed out its capability, though there is a possibility of upping the CPU by 10 to 15% or so. For now though I consider this a niche computer. Not very fast for video and not able to easily handle huge website pages like the new radar online.

But the machine just runs and runs. Usually on 24x7.

Dell tried to do other things and spent a lot of bucks.
Lost a lot of money on TVs and Household integration. Makes it interesting as we watch to see what Apple will do with TVs.

They had some good PDAs. I know people that still run them.

It will be interesting.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Maybe it will start a trend of more Silicon-Valley companies going private. Have to see how Dell is doing now financially. Except we can't actually see any more how they do financially. They can do whatever they want now. As long as they make 1$ profit a year (after all expenses), they do good. Any more is just a plus. Beeing private they can afford to do that.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote