Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
--- everything online only.
That's all I use my computer for -- online only. If I lose my internet connection, I turn my computer off. At this point, it's worthless to me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #17
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Cool; more competition is better.

What I'd really like to see is a Chromebox priced in the $199~$249 range.
Like this?

http://www.google.com/intl/us/chrome...hromebook.html
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Thanks; but no. This is what I want:

Samsung Chromebox

I'm looking for a small tiny box to replace my large desktop.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That's what external hard drives are for.
But with a Chromebook you don't have the choice - you can't store data locally. Everything is in the "Cloud".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #20
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But with a Chromebook you don't have the choice - you can't store data locally. Everything is in the "Cloud".
http://www.zdnet.com/yes-you-can-use...ne-7000006103/
Advert
Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That's all I use my computer for -- online only. If I lose my internet connection, I turn my computer off. At this point, it's worthless to me.
You don't store any ebooks on your PC, or use any local tools for managing them? You never use a word processor or spreadsheet running on your own PC?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #22
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks; but no. This is what I want:

Samsung Chromebox

I'm looking for a small tiny box to replace my large desktop.
Ah, you said Chromebox, I thought you just said generically Chromebook. Oops. I apparently don't know how to read. :-)
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
You don't store any ebooks on your PC, or use any local tools for managing them? You never use a word processor or spreadsheet running on your own PC?
I have ebooks, audiobooks, music, videos, notes, and bookmarks stored on internal and external drives; but it's rare when I actually tap into them when the net is down.

Most of the time, I access content via the cloud. Kindle for ebooks, Audible for audiobooks, Pandora for music, Netflix for videos, Pulse for magazines, Google News for news, etc. I'm happy

I have no need for word processors and spreadsheets and offline email clients. To me, a computer is an entertainment device used to consume online content.

My current system is overkill. A Chromebox would satisfy my needs.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Ah, you said Chromebox, I thought you just said generically Chromebook. Oops. I apparently don't know how to read. :-)
Don't worry about it
Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 AM   #25
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Relax.
Relax.

There is only one final step in the human-computer evolution.

Take the pill. Close your eyes.

When you wake you will not be an outsider anymore.
There will be no outside or inside.

You will be one with us.

Isn't that what Hal was told?

You will be with us...
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #26
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Actually not true. You might not have noticed but the C7 has a 320GB hard drive. That is not just dead weight.
You can work off line with your data and with (at this time) at least some of the main Google Doc programs and other vendor programs.
You can use USB2, USB3 and the like to get to data not online.
You can use SD/MMC cards plugged into the machine.

Of the two new laptops, I personally like the Chromebook C7 by Acer which has a 320GB hard drive rather than the 16GB SSD of the Samsung S3 Chromebook.

My own plan hardware wise is to take a machine like the Acer C7 for $200 and at least double the ram to 4GB which is what Crucial says you can do, and then my only problem would be the 4 hour battery though it is removable. That makes me want to see what Lenovo will bring to the table.

If you like, the machine can be a dual boot with Ubuntu. That will have the practical effect of slowing boot times, but so what.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #27
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
These devices may have a place in corporations, but the article itself is hyperbole. My favourite was the bit about zero support costs. ...
Yep and even if there weren't they'd find a way to create some.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I have ebooks, audiobooks, music, videos, notes, and bookmarks stored on internal and external drives; but it's rare when I actually tap into them when the net is down.

Most of the time, I access content via the cloud. Kindle for ebooks, Audible for audiobooks, Pandora for music, Netflix for videos, Pulse for magazines, Google News for news, etc. I'm happy

I have no need for word processors and spreadsheets and offline email clients. To me, a computer is an entertainment device used to consume online content.

My current system is overkill. A Chromebox would satisfy my needs.
Oh, wait you need to change your avatar. You're no monkey, you're a spider!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #29
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Different people have different needs. I could use a computer without an internet connection (reading, writing, programming, games, photo/image editing), though I must admit that it would be less pleasurable than it was 20 years ago.

Businesses are a different issues though. They have to "create" stuff with computers. It may be as common as bookkeeping or as sophisticated as engineering. It may be possible to complete online, or it may only be doable with software running on the user's workstation. Chromebooks are not the perfect solution here, albeit they may be better than Windows in some cases.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Samsung has upgraded the Chromebox from a Celeron to a Core i5 for an additional $80.

Samsung Chromebox gets updated with Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge CPU