Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Question Old issues of Analog SF & Fact, Asimov's SF

Over the Christmas & New Year holidays last year I started buying ebooks again for my new toy at the time - an Apple iPhone. Previously used various Palm's and a Dell Axim as ebook readers. Picked up 1 year subscriptions to Analog and Asimov's SF magazines, which I've been thoroughly enjoying. The issues started from the September 2008 issues, and I've just renewed again with the 25% sale at eReader / FW.

I had read the paper editions many, many, many moons ago and hadn't read them in years. However I'd really like to pick up many of the older editions prior to when my subscription started, but in the ebook format. I got a shock when I found out that all ebook sellers including the publishers Dell, only sell the current plus previous half a dozen issues at best! Dell will happily sell you older paper issues, but not ebook issues. How crazy is that. It's not like they've sold out or anything!!! Another case of completely missing the boat on sales here...

Does anyone have any ideas how I can pick up older issues? How does copyright work on the ebook versions? Obviously you can sell the paper version once you've read it, but how about the ebook version? Could I legally buy copies from someone who's bought & read them and won't read them again?

I'd be more than happy to pay an online store to legally purchase them, but seeing as that's not an option, are there any other options people can suggest? Does anyone have older issues which they'd be happy to sell to me? I'm aware that they're DRM free so shouldn't be a hassle. Thanks.
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I agree, I think it is very sad that, while so many older books are being digitized, old pulp Science Fiction magazine aren't. There is no excuse that there are not complete backlogs of Analog, Asimov's, Astounding, and others available. You can buy bulk lots of lots of different SF magazines on Ebay, but that isn't a good solution for you (assuming you are in the Melbourne in Australia and not the one in Florida.) Here's a pretty good lot, if you didn't faint at what the shipping cost turned out to be: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350278101831

I have a couple of hundred old SF magazines dating back from the 50s, 60s and 70s that I was lucky enough to find as a box lot cheap at a flea market years back, plus more that I would buy at newsstands when they were new, and other old copies found elsewhere, including Ebay. But neither my bookshelves or my wallet would support buying all the thousands and thousands of issues printed across dozens of titles over the past several decades.

(I do have the entire print run of one pulp SF magazine that was dedicated to short stories only with no other content-- it lasted two issues.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozron View Post
Dell will happily sell you older paper issues, but not ebook issues. How crazy is that. It's not like they've sold out or anything!!! Another case of completely missing the boat on sales here...
It all has to do with rights. They only buy e-story rights for a period of 6 months I believe.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
ardeegee yep I'm from Melbourne Oz, which makes postage down under very expensive from the states. I've left a query on the Analog forum to find out what the limitation is with the e-version of their mags.

I'm desperate to pick up some of the earlier issues from last year which I can't even find and buy in paper versions. It's amazing that I can't even find copies at the pirate places... Bugger!
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote