Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think Boston Legal got worse with time. The first seasons was much better then the latter ones. I also miss West Wing.

The best show in recent years that was cancelled after 10 or so episodes was _Wonderfalls_.
I agree. Another show I mourn is Gilmore Girls.

I'd like to recommend a show: Jekyll. It was written by Stephen Moffat, and it is excellent. Mr. Moffat is now on my short list of writers for whom I will see anything they create.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I agree. Another show I mourn is Gilmore Girls.

I'd like to recommend a show: Jekyll. It was written by Stephen Moffat, and it is excellent. Mr. Moffat is now on my short list of writers for whom I will see anything they create.
oh, i have to agree about Jekyll, it is BRILLIANT !! absolutely. along with Stephen Moffatt i am now also looking out for James Nesbitt as he was really great.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, indeed, I was VERY pleased to hear that Stephen Moffat is going to be the next Executive Producer of DW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #19
digitalzen
Connoisseur
digitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I'm still mourning West Wing. After that, I'll get around to mourning BL. Scrubs is coming back, and the second half of the season for Monk, Psych, and Burn Notice are all coming up soon, so I will be able to survive.
Yep, the return of quality scripted programming from USA is going to be wonderful. I think Monk and Psych come back on the 22nd. There's a great countdown calendar on the website: http://www.usanetwork.com/series/monk/
digitalzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #20
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was that way about West Wing: Knew it was out there, ignored it, happened to watch an episode one day... Dayam! Similarly, I was introduced to Scrubs, and found I really liked its off-the-wall humor (and I generally don't like sitcoms... I despise laugh tracks).

I'd love to have more Dayam! moments. Unfortunately, they usually turn out to be more like "Damn, this show sucks"...

I watch very few TV shows nowadays, so there haven't been too many Dayam! moments lately. OTOH, the more I avoid TV, the more I'm likely to have another Dayam! moment any time now...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #21
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh, i have to agree about Jekyll, it is BRILLIANT !!
Hmmm, 'Jekyll' got the raspberry from me I'm afraid.

Stephen Moffat (and Mark Gatiss while we're at it) are BBC 'talent' best avoided imho.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #22
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I was that way about West Wing: Knew it was out there, ignored it, happened to watch an episode one day... Dayam! Similarly, I was introduced to Scrubs, and found I really liked its off-the-wall humor (and I generally don't like sitcoms... I despise laugh tracks).
I'd love to have more Dayam! moments. Unfortunately, they usually turn out to be more like "Damn, this show sucks"...

I watch very few TV shows nowadays, so there haven't been too many Dayam! moments lately. OTOH, the more I avoid TV, the more I'm likely to have another Dayam! moment any time now...
Scrubs is coming back!!!!!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #23
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Hmmm, 'Jekyll' got the raspberry from me I'm afraid.
oh well, nobody's perfect i suppose ! it's okay sparrow, we still love you.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #24
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Sigh. Doctor Who, Buffy, Boston Legal..... What ever happened to the really good shows like Death of a Paper Hanger, Sighs Matters, and Why Am I This Way?. Oh, and The Inside of My Eyelids! Heh, I remember this one episode where the main character woke up one afternoon and decided to not open his eyes for the entire day. He spent the whole day mentally recording all of the retinal flashes he observed and categorizing them by the concomitant emotions he sensed. What a hoot! Now those were the good old days of television.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #25
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
oh well, nobody's perfect i suppose ! it's okay sparrow, we still love you.

Don't say you weren't warned - Moffat and Gatiss to remake Sherlock Holmes for the BBC
Old 12-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Scrubs is coming back!!!!!
I already have the date entered in my PDA! (It's the only way I can remember these things.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #27
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
well, i don't know gatiss, so i can't necessarily judge... but i'll watch it if i get the chance... why not ? if this adaptation is anything like jekyll (that is, more "somewhat inspired by" than "adapted") it could be good. and frankly, there are previous adaptations of sherlock holmes that are so excellent (the ones with jeremy brett come to mind) that i almost don't see much point in making another "period drama" version.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #28
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
well, i don't know gatiss, so i can't necessarily judge... but i'll watch it if i get the chance... why not ?
Gatiss was good in the comedy series 'League of Gentlemen' - but he's all over the BBC like a rash now.
He's spreading himself too thin, it's quality not quantity we want. He could do with a sabbatical.

He's also about to be the new voice of the Man in Black - introducing chilling tales on the radio. He's not in the least spooky!!

His radio comedy 'Nebulous' was another disappointment.

Maybe Sherlock will be a return to form - but the mere fact he's rehashing existing characters doesn't bode well. I suspect we'll see more pot boiling.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #29
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Gatiss was good in the comedy series 'League of Gentlemen' - but he's all over the BBC like a rash now.
He's spreading himself too thin, it's quality not quantity we want. He could do with a sabbatical.

He's also about to be the new voice of the Man in Black - introducing chilling tales on the radio. He's not in the least spooky!!

His radio comedy 'Nebulous' was another disappointment.

Maybe Sherlock will be a return to form - but the mere fact he's rehashing existing characters doesn't bode well. I suspect we'll see more pot boiling.
ah, i understand your aversion better now. that does put a different light on it. one of the main reasons i thought jekyll was so brilliant was the performance by Nesbitt, which was amazing. an adaptation like that, particularly if you lose the inevitable appeal of the period setting, relies on the charisma of the leads, and your description does sounds discouraging... (i'll still watch it though, just in case. maybe we'll get lucky.)
Old 12-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #30
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I do like Gatiss as an author - I've managed to not see much of him as an actor. And Moffatt has written some good storylines for Dr Who...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote