Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook,Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color
Can I embed fonts in ereader format books?

Hi

I'm wondering that is it possible for me to embed font in ereader format books, just like pdf or epub file?

if yes, which tool should I use.

Cheers
droople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by droople View Post
Hi

I'm wondering that is it possible for me to embed font in ereader format books, just like pdf or epub file?

if yes, which tool should I use.

Cheers
It is possible to embed fonts in PDF files. It is one of the main reasons I use PDF when I make my ebooks, that way my text will be in the font that I want. In addition to fonts, it gives me complete control over the way my ebooks are formatted.

One tool you can use to make PDFs is OpenOffice.org. To do so you do the following: Make your ebook just like any other document (make sure the page size is the same as the size of your ebook reader's screen), save it, and then export it to PDF. It will create a PDF of your ebook that you can load on your reader.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi Solitaire1

Thank you for your reply.

Cheers
Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
So far as I know the answer is no. I am 99.99% sure this is the case, but it is hard to be definitive for an unpublished format. See Wiki: eReader for what it can do.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Hi Solitaire1

Thank you for your reply.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
So far as I know the answer is no. I am 99.99% sure this is the case, but it is hard to be definitive for an unpublished format. See Wiki: eReader for what it can do.
I have some experience with the ereader format. I used to use my Palm OS PDA (a Palm T|X) and the Palm Reader for my ebooks before getting my Sony eReader.

Basically, with the Palm Reader you choose a font that you've loaded on your reader and your ebooks will display in the font. My Palm Reader came preloaded with four san-serif fonts (Small, Large, Bold, and Large Bold) and I was able to purchase more fonts for my reader.

As far as fonts go, when you purchase a typeface you get several different-sized versions of that typeface. As an example, I purchased the Charter ITC typeface (which is similar to Times New Roman) and received it in the following sizes: 10, 12, 18, 16, 24. To my eyes, the 24 size looked about the same size as 12 point on my Sony Reader.

I hope this helps.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Hi

Nope. Ereader pdb is a very simple format; all the options available are outlined at the Palm Markup Language page.

I believe the only options with PML are:
Doc formatting: New page, new chapter, indented new chapter (for toc), Chapter title (for toc),

Text formatting: centered, right-justify, italic, bold (2 ways to deal with this), underline, invisible (for comments), normal font (for the device), small font, large font, superscript, subscript, small caps

Paragraph formatting: indented, indent percentage. (No "indent beginning of line.")

Extra characters/features: Horizontal line, non-ascii characters, image, link anchor, soft hyphen, backslash (needs special coding 'cos backslashes are part of the markeup language), footnote, sidebar, index-reference.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
droople
Connoisseur

Hi Elfwreck

Thank you for your information.

Cheers