Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
love4god
love4god began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Save To Disk Issue? ANd other K2 questions

I just got a Kindle 2 a coupe weeks ago and I discovered Calibre. What a great tool so far.

I would like to have a copy of all of my ebooks on my laptop because sometimes I read my kindle and other times i'll read off my laptop. Plus I like having stuff on my own computer instead of in the cloud controlled by someone else.

So public domain items i've downloaded from guttenberg and other places seem to be fine. I add teh books, convert them to MOBI, send them to my kindle. All good.

But the free stuff i've downloaded off amazon that is on my kindle, when i am viewing my kindle in Calibre, select and item, then click Save To Disk... it doesn't seem to work? THe job looks like it's processing, i get no error message, but the books never show up in my file system or in my calibre library. Is there something else I need to do?

Also, i have a bunch of PDF's and LIT and txt files. What is the best format to be converting this stuff into. I don't have much in the way of graphics or tables or anything like that, mostly novels that i want to read. I have been putting stuff in mobi because i read that's what azw really is. Is that the best way to go?

Also, early on when first starting to use this, i lost all the books on my kindle. Everything looked like it was there in the files syswtem but all the books had 0kb sizes. ANd none of them were showing on the kindle menu. It was shortly after I started plugging into calibre. I was able to re-download everything and reload after a set back to factory settings, but it was a little unnerving. I DID unplug without ejecting a couple times from my laptop, maybe that had something to do with it. ANyone else have this problem? Thanks.
love4god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by love4god View Post
I DID unplug without ejecting a couple times from my laptop, maybe that had something to do with it. ANyone else have this problem?
This is very likely the issue. Writing to USB devices is often delayed by the OS and not written immediately. Safely ejecting the device ensures all data is actually written. On a side note I did not safely eject my Cybook once and the entire file system became corrupted.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert