Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Zarathustrian
Zarathustrian began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket PRO
Velocity Micro Cruz Android Tablet PC, MID and Ebook Reader

Hi Everyone!

So I'm just looking for some advice, if it pleases, about the device mentioned in my title here. What I'm looking for it something relatively cheap, that has a back light - the main feature I'm looking for in an e-reader.

However, I'm in Australia, and reading through reviews and descriptions on Amazon, I honestly can't tell if anyone has purchased this reader in Australia.

These are the specs -

Full-Color Touchscreen Display
Android-Based OS
eBook Reader
Built-in Applications
Stay Connected with 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi and Full Browser Support

I have no idea about Android, how it even works, what it even does. Is it like iTunes? Yes, that's how little I know! Also, with the device being wi-fi enabled, can it literally connect to any wi-fi regardless of which country you're in?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, suggestions or tips. Like I said I am basically looking for an e-book reader under the 100$ mark that has a back light. This is one of the first I came across when I started my search and I have to admit I was impressed - but first impressions can be misleading!

Thanks in advance for your time!
Zarathustrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
warning for you if your wanting the backlight for nightime reading alot of people have troubles with it being too bright (including me) in fact between my ipad2, samsung, galaxy tab,kindle fire, asus transformer tf300, and my ipod3, iphone4,samsung galaxy s3 out of all of them only the apple products dim down far enough for it to not hurt when reading in the dark. much to my chagrin none of my android devices can dim far enough. also be aware the velocity micro cruze tablets are pretty bottom barrel for tablet devices only the no name chinese devices get worse, if your looking for a low cost backlit tablet id suggest save some more and get a google nexus 7 or samsung galaxy tab 2 7 inch or kindle fire hd 7 inch as those are all day and night better than the velocity micro tablet. im not suggesting that you go get $500 tablets but you will find most $100 tablets to be junk.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Zarathustrian
Zarathustrian began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket PRO
Thanks for that Covfam. I'd love to get the Kindle Fire but I'm in Australia so it's not a viable option for me. I'm starting to think if I want the backlight feature, as you suggested, it's going to cost more. Thank you again!
Zarathustrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
there are some other lower priced quality 7inch tabs out there, for example the google nexus 7 is one of the best 7 inchers on the market with ull google play android market access, and samsungs galaxy tab 2 7" inch is pretty good for its size and price (but the google nexus 7 and fire hd 7 inchers are a better value for thier quality) do you get full google play access in australia? if so then id save up for it as its one of the top 7 inch tablets period and in a good price range if you want a low cost tablet thats not junk.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Android is an operating system. iTunes is an application that you run on your pc, which is using an operating system to provide all the system functionality, like Windows or Mac.

Wi-fi is the same the world over. You have to provide the wi-fi access, or get it somewhere that has it available, like a library or hotel, or restaurant. In the US, McDonalds and Starbucks have wi-fi available.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert