Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #46
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
I've been wanting one since university. I thought the sheer bulk of my textbooks was ridiculous, and wanted to know why they all couldn't have been put on a tiny, slim portable device.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #47
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... at current prices.
That's a pretty big qualifier, HarryT.

Although, I think if e-textbooks were available at reasonable prices a reading device might get pretty attractive to college students. But (and here's my pretty big qualifier), they'd need a much better feature set in terms of display size and annotation capabilities, etc.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #48
mikolaj
mikolaj is on a distinguished road

What's striking me is that she and many many commenters I have seen on all kinds of "geek blogs" repeat the same convergence mantra:
"I will never buy a dedicated reader, since my mobile phone is EVERYTHING converged".

And that's fine, to have all the functionality in one small device. It's just that I haven't figured out yet how the form factor converges, but hey, <sarcasm>I am but a humble engineer who develops these "everything converged" thingies, not a wired journo</sarcasm> Apparently the size is a minor problem.

Mikolaj
mikolaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #49
McDoof
McDoof is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Size is an issue with ebooks but not a problem, I would say.

I originally bought my smartphone to read PDF's on the train but the screen is way too small. Personally, I don't want a tiny device to read ebooks. I want one that is the size of a decent page.

When's the last time you read one of those novelty matchbook-sized copies of the Bible or Huck Finn, for example?
McDoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #50
mikolaj
mikolaj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDoof View Post
When's the last time you read one of those novelty matchbook-sized copies of the Bible or Huck Finn, for example?
Ummm... you got me here, last time I read a matchbox-sized book was when I was a teenager. It wasn't Bible, but de Sade's 'Philosophy in the Bedroom' that we passed secretly among classmates. I'm not quite sure whether I understood the philosophical aspect of it . But the size was actually a big asset given the circumstances. So - a big plus for reading on a smartphone

Last edited by mikolaj; 12-05-2007 at 02:36 PM.
mikolaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert