Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Ms M
Enthusiast
Ms M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo WiFi
Should I remain a DINOSAUR

I've not gotten 1.9 updates for my WiFi as of yet... Should I even be concerned?? I don't plan on "chunking the WiFi" for a "touch" & I'm able to read as I wish... should I remain a DINOSAUR?

PS: 2 seconds of "wait time" is nothing in my book...
Ms M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
If you're happy with the KW and the KT doesn't tempt you to upgrade, then by all means stay with what you know and love. Future firmware updates are not out of the question, although I'd be a little concerned if I owned a KO.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms M View Post
I've not gotten 1.9 updates for my WiFi as of yet... Should I even be concerned?? I don't plan on "chunking the WiFi" for a "touch" & I'm able to read as I wish... should I remain a DINOSAUR?

PS: 2 seconds of "wait time" is nothing in my book...
I agree with what TedJ said up above.

I now have the Touch, but just for fun, I went back to my WiFi for a little while, and I still like it - and will still use it from time to time, I'm sure. I won't be chucking it any time soon.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
I don't have a Kobo, but I have learned one thing in 2 decades of tech:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

Corollary: Especially if you don't find any issues with something.

Just sayin'...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I think that Ms M was asking if it was worthwhile doing the firmware upgrade on her Kobo Wifi. I say YES, as it will give you other features like 'go to page number....'.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Well, if she's getting the Touch, and is going to sell the WiFi she'd want to do a factory reset on it anyways before selling it(or even giving it away to anyone outside of immediate family) which IIRC drops it to the OOB fw anyways.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Ms M
Enthusiast
Ms M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura aboutMs M has a spectacular aura about

I don't understand the "OOs" and "IIs" in this thread - Sorry...I'm merely a consumer. What I really need to know however is, if I need to do something to download the 1.9 update. Was it supposed to be something automatic, or do I need to go somewhere to "get" it??? Or maybe I DO have it and don't know it ..In Layman's terms please... I know that's difficult for a lot of technical people, but please have patience with me. I'm not a techie.

As far as Kobo Touch, I'm sure it is nice for those who like a touch screen. I prefer the button myself
Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The 1.9 upgrade is automatic through either WiFi connection OR via the Kobo Desktop.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
To get the update, I think you just have to open the Kobo Desktop program on your computer and then connect your Kobo reader. I believe that you have to be registered with a Kobo account (??) Pressing the 'Sync' button a few times appears to help.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
I don't understand the "OOs" and "IIs" in this thread - Sorry...I'm merely a consumer. What I really need to know however is, if I need to do something to download the 1.9 update. Was it supposed to be something automatic, or do I need to go somewhere to "get" it??? Or maybe I DO have it and don't know it ..In Layman's terms please... I know that's difficult for a lot of technical people, but please have patience with me. I'm not a techie.

As far as Kobo Touch, I'm sure it is nice for those who like a touch screen. I prefer the button myself
Google is your friend, and they're completely atechnical.

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-08-2011 at 10:14 AM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:

If there are short terms you don't know, as cutterjohn mentioned, google them. They aren't technical terms at all - OOB is "Out Of Box" and IIRC is "If I Recall Correctly". Despite being in the tech field for many years, I find myself googling short form a lot because kids tend to use it for pretty much everything today .

As for your original question, If you are happy the way you are, and are not having any problems, do not upgrade. It's really that simple. With newer firmware, it's possible to get newer features, but if that doesn't concern/interest you, then forget about it. Seriously

Since, as you state, you are a simple consumer, you are probably using the device exactly as intended by the developer, and if that's the case, you probably already have the new firmware and don't even realize it (the software you use to purchase your books and load them to your device will do the upgrading). But again, don't worry about it, and enjoy using your device to read your books as you currently do.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
Ms M
Enthusiast

KOBO UPDATE

QUOTE=46jimbo;1649025]To get the update, I think you just have to open the Kobo Desktop program on your computer and then connect your Kobo reader. I believe that you have to be registered with a Kobo account (??) Pressing the 'Sync' button a few times appears to help.[/QUOTE]

Thank you 46jimbo. I went to my KOBO desktop and was immediately prompted to update my desktop program - which in turn updated my KOBO. I know I've been to my desktop app since 1.9v began, I guess I was just later down the list for the update. (If that makes any sense). Thanks so much to all. I would be lost without someone to guide me at times