Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #271
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
But you can use this plugin to extract the rating in float number to a custom column.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223688
Thanks! I didn't see this plugin in the index.
Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #272
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
never mind
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #273
lorikitty
lorikitty began at the beginning.

Device: LG V20
I've noticed an issue with the goodreads identifier pulled using this plugin - for some reason Goodreads now wants the text after the numerical identifier on their site. Is there an easy way to include the full identifier when it's inserted in the id field?

Example:
Old id method that worked before: goodreads:23428530
New required id method due to Goodreads change: goodreads:23428530-suspicious

Last edited by lorikitty; 07-27-2016 at 01:25 PM.
lorikitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #274
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'll have to have a better check later, but, a couple of quick tests here show it is still working OK. The Goodreads page is opening using the URL with just the id number. And that includes the example id you posted.

What actually happens when you click on the id in calibre?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #275
lorikitty
lorikitty began at the beginning.

Device: LG V20
Actually it seems to be working now - that's odd. It was giving me a connection refused error when I posted. The main Goodreads page worked fine, but for IDs that were truncated to just the numbers, clicking from Calibre would give me that connection refused error.

Perhaps it was a soft ban of some sort from looking things up for metadata purposes?

I was also getting errors finding books in the metadata downloader in Calibre with just the number. If I took out the Goodreads ID it would find the book, with it the metadata downloader said to be less specific. Putting in the full id-text identifier would locate the book with the metadata downloader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'll have to have a better check later, but, a couple of quick tests here show it is still working OK. The Goodreads page is opening using the URL with just the id number. And that includes the example id you posted.

What actually happens when you click on the id in calibre?
lorikitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #276
Teeny
Enthusiast
Teeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle PW 11th
I'm not new to Calibre but I haven't explored it either. I use it mostly to convert books, but my TBR folder got HUGE and it needs to be cleaned. First I searched and deleted any formats that aren't pdf, epub or kindle compatible but now I need to do a deeper cleaning based on ratings. So I decided to download the Goodreads plugin and add all the TBR books to Calibre sync it to a Goodreads shelf and kill anything with a rating under 3.4, but I came across the "book not linked to GR", and those books weren't synced to my GR shelf.

Is there a way to massively link books to GR? The amount of books is staggering, 2k+ books, and cannot be done one by one. Also alot of them aren't properly named or have the proper authors etc.

I do have Calibre downloading the metadata from GR but I doubt that that would work correctly with the books that don't have the proper names, authors, etc...

So any help with the linking or how to sync them to GR will be appreciated immensely.
Teeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #277
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is the bulk metadata download. That should be faster but it relies on the title and author being close to what is needed.

I'd say you will need to do several passes. You could use like the Quality Check plugin to help work out which books need the most work. Plus some search and replace to clean up some titles. Then it is a matter of getting the metadata. It might help to disable all except Goodreads as a source when doing this. That will speed the fetch up and not confuse things when the different sources suggest different books. But, it could mean the matching is inaccurate.

I would also suggest adding some tags, either in the tags column or a custom column, to indicate the state of the books. That way as you clean them up you can tag them as such and easily exclude them from further work. Or use multiple libraries. Put all the bad ones in one library and move them to another as you clean them up.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:43 AM   #278
Vortex
Groupie
Vortex began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
I find Goodreads has the best series information, so I've been use the PI to correct a lot of the series and series index entries in my libraries.

Now Goodreads seem to have started blocking my IP address. If I try and use the PI I get 0 results, and trying to open any Goodreads webpage opens blank.

This happens even if I am logged into my Goodreads account at the time. Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know a solution? I rely on this a lot. Thanks.

Edit: Looking at the API Terms & Conditions, it says they allow a maximum of 1 request a second. Anyway I could limit it to this?

Last edited by Vortex; 08-06-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #279
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
I find Goodreads has the best series information, so I've been use the PI to correct a lot of the series and series index entries in my libraries.

Now Goodreads seem to have started blocking my IP address. If I try and use the PI I get 0 results, and trying to open any Goodreads webpage opens blank.

This happens even if I am logged into my Goodreads account at the time. Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know a solution? I rely on this a lot. Thanks.

Edit: Looking at the API Terms & Conditions, it says they allow a maximum of 1 request a second. Anyway I could limit it to this?
Yes, it is probably from doing to many queries. But, the plugin doesn't use the API, so it isn't breaking that condition. It scrapes the pages. I'm pretty sure there is a limit to how many times you can do this. Calibre does control the queries so that it doesn't do to many. I think you would have to do a very batch of downloads in one go to hit the limits.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #280
Vortex
Groupie

Sometimes in the past I've done thousands in a day without problems, but recently I was only trying to do a few hundred. Would it be running faster because I'm only searching for series info? I'll run the same scan but from a different IP address to see what happens.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #281
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry, I don't know. It's possible that Goodreads have changed the rules. But, just fetching the series info won't have an effect. The plugin has to fetch the whole page and then just picks the bits you are interested in.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:56 AM   #282
trying
trying doesn't littertrying doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
I haven't looked into Goodreads metadata in a while (everything works for me) but maybe you are running into the behavior Krazykiwi noted at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=235 and my "solution" starting at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=237

In particular, Goodreads would act differently with bare URLs (like http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/<goodreads ID #>) vs a URL with random text after the goodreads ID # (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/<goodreads ID #>random extra text usually the title). If you attempt to read a bare URL too many times Goodreads would start to return 403 Forbidden errors.

Unfortunately, the Goodreads Metadata plugin would read a book's page using a Bare URL (and presumably still does) if there is a Goodreads ID in its IDs field (that is it has a goodreads:somenumber entry).

The typical scenario was: You do a batch metadata grab via the Goodreads plugin for a bunch of new books. They won't have a Goodreads ID so the plugin searches for each book and grabs its page using the search result URL (NOT a bare Goodreads URL). This will typically succeed and set Goodreads IDs for all those books. At a later time, you try to get metadata again for those books. Now there are Goodread IDs for all those books, the plugin just attempts to read the pages via bare URLs and soon Goodreads starts returning 403 Forbidden errors.

So my question is: Are you getting 403 Forbidden errors in the browser when attempting to read Goodreads Bare URLs? Does adding random text to the end of the URL fix it?

If so, then see the solution I mentioned in my earlier posts.
trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #283
Vortex
Groupie

Aha! You're right.

I backed up the goodreads identifiers to a custom column, then removed them from the identifiers, ran it again, and it worked just like it used to.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #284
Teeny
Enthusiast
Teeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle PW 11th
Okay I need to download tags from GR for the books in my calibre library but that isn't happening. Only about 10out of more than 100 books have tags and those aren't even from GR, so what am I doing wrong?
Teeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:01 PM   #285
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Have a look at the preferences for the plugin. These are in the Metadata Download preferences. You can also configure what fields can be downloaded from each source. Plus, the Goodreads metadata source plugin has configuration to map the Goodreads genre to calibre tags. Check if something in the configuration might be blocking them.

The metadata download merges metadata from multiple sources. I've never looked at what the rules are, so I don't know how the tags are handled.

Tags
goodreads, metadata