Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
Jevylux
Jevylux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Newbie question

HI, my Sony Reader is in the shipping process, and I started to otder e-books.
As I am a Mac User i installed Calibre as well as Adobe Digital Editions.
I downloaded my books using Adobe Digital Edition, and I am able to view them.
Now, I omported the books in Calibre and wanted to view them, But I get a Message "This book is protected by DRM"(in fact it is un e-pub format)
My question is : Will I be able to export the books and read it on the Sony or am I forced to read them on the MAC using Digital Editions.
I don't have understood the process yet. How are my books couples to my reader, and when ?
Jevylux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
It all depends on the type of books you bought...

When it comes to protected content, the Sony reader only supports Adobe (ePub and PDF) and LRF formats.

Calibre can manage DRM'd files, but won't be able to display them. It doesn't mean that they will not show up correctly on your reader.

There is one caveat, though : I read that you are a Mac user, and as such you're unable to install the Sony Reader software and the drivers it contains, which help Adobe Digital Editions connecting to the Reader device.

So this leaves you with only two options...

1. you strip the books you bought of the DRM they carry, and convert the resulting open files to a format suitable for Calibre and your Reader : this is illegal in some countries, and quite difficult to do.

2. you find a Windows PC, install Adobe Digital Editions, and use it to authorize your reader (basically, it links the Reader device to your Adobe userid). Once authorized, you'll be able to use the Mac version of Adobe Digital Editions to upload DRM'd books to your Reader device.

There are many threads here that'll help you, and if you need more help you can page me ...

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, Jevylux and welcome to MobileRead.

Lots of Sony users here.........you're bound to get your questions answered.

enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote