Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Ereader stuck "loading" after sideloading pdf

I bought a Sony PRS300RCWB-30W ereader. It's gorgeous. It worked great until I sideloaded a pdf from Calibre. (Actually my usb drive had been acting a little funky when it was mounted at the same time as the ereader--and when I removed the ereader the usb drive worked great in Calibre.) Calibre started flashing and I got this error:

The SONY XML cache "'/media/gregory/495C-0DBA/database/cache/media.xml'" does not exist. Try disconnecting and reconnecting your reader.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 502, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 201, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 249, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 209, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 197, in initialize_XML_cache
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/prs505/sony_cache.py", line 102, in __init__
DeviceError: The SONY XML cache "'/media/gregory/495C-0DBA/database/cache/media.xml'" does not exist. Try disconnecting and reconnecting your reader.

After that the ereader is stuck in "loading" mode with the arrows in the middle endlessly revolving. I tried re-setting it. I removed the pdf from the ereader's files. I tried the suggested disconnecting and reconnecting. Nothing works. I am able to shut it down but when it comes back on it's loading again.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 12-18-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Here are instructions on how to reset the PRS-300. *note* this should erase all contenet loaded on the device, but should also restore it to working condidtion:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31628

In future, in case you were unaware, pleaes make sure to eject usb devices/drives before disconnecting them. This especially includes any Reader device Calibre is managing.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Here are instructions on how to reset the PRS-300. *note* this should erase all contenet loaded on the device, but should also restore it to working condidtion:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31628

In future, in case you were unaware, pleaes make sure to eject usb devices/drives before disconnecting them. This especially includes any Reader device Calibre is managing.
Thanks rashkae. I always do the unmounting before removing any usb devices. And thanks for the link but I already did that hard reset and it gets me to the reset screen but then I can't reset it. Talked to Sony. They said there was nothing else to try.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks rashkae. I always do the unmounting before removing any usb devices. And thanks for the link but I already did that hard reset and it gets me to the reset screen but then I can't reset it. Talked to Sony. They said there was nothing else to try.
Given that it's refurbished and not working and you do have a receipt, I'd call Sony again and get them to either fix it or replace it under warranty.

Or you could contact Newegg and get it replaced.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-18-2014 at 03:35 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that it's refurbished and not working and you do have a receipt, I'd call Sony again and get them to either fix it or replace it under warranty.

Or you could contact Newegg and get it replaced.
Thanks. It's out of warranty with Sony but Newegg has a 30 day warranty. I really wish I could figure it out but have been utterly unable to. They have an even cheaper one now. lol http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-076-_-Product

Maybe I'll get that instead. (Would that charger you suggested--I haven't gotten it yet but Newegg said it shipped--work with that one as well?)
Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. It's out of warranty with Sony but Newegg has a 30 day warranty. I really wish I could figure it out but have been utterly unable to. They have an even cheaper one now. lol http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-076-_-Product

Maybe I'll get that instead. (Would that charger you suggested--I haven't gotten it yet but Newegg said it shipped--work with that one as well?)
Yes, the charger you bought would work with all 300s. Glad it crapped out while still under Newegg's warrenty. I've never heard of a Sony Reader bricking just by loading a PDF using Calibre. I suspect the unit was defective from the go. Glad you found out in time to get it replaced.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Yes, the charger you bought would work with all 300s. Glad it crapped out while still under Newegg's warrenty. I've never heard of a Sony Reader bricking just by loading a PDF using Calibre. I suspect the unit was defective from the go. Glad you found out in time to get it replaced.
Thanks man. And never heard of that Boox. And I hear you about the Kindle and Aura prices. Thanks. And regarding my PRC-300 ereader woes, in my very humble opinion, I really think something went wonky with trying to transfer the file from my usb flash drive to Calibre while the eReader was mounted. The screen for transferring took a long time to appear. Then my usb drive was no longer recognized. When I removed the EReader the usb drive worked fine with Calibre. <shrug> Who knows.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks man. And never heard of that Boox. And I hear you about the Kindle and Aura prices. Thanks. And regarding my PRC-300 ereader woes, in my very humble opinion, I really think something went wonky with trying to transfer the file from my usb flash drive to Calibre while the eReader was mounted. The screen for transferring took a long time to appear. Then my usb drive was no longer recognized. When I removed the EReader the usb drive worked fine with Calibre. <shrug> Who knows.
Did you have the flash drive (still) mounted with 'connect to folder" (will show at the bottom)

That option is a DEVICE.
rule #1: only 1 device connected at a time. Eject prior divice befor connecting a reader
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:48 AM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you have the flash drive (still) mounted with 'connect to folder" (will show at the bottom)
Not sure what you meant by 'connect to folder' (will show at bottom) , but I certainly had the usb drive and the ereader mounted at the same time.

Quote:
That option is a DEVICE.
Sorry but don't know what you mean by that.

Quote:
rule #1: only 1 device connected at a time. Eject prior divice befor connecting a reader
That I know what you mean. But does that include having two usb flash drives plugged in at the same time? (I do that all the time with no problems.) Or like I can't have Skype and a usb drive in at the same time? That would seem awfully limiting.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

deleted post
Old 12-19-2014, 04:40 AM   #11
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I simply connect the eReader to PC (I close calibre before) and copy/paste the books in. The Sony knows how to deal with these quite well by himself. Never had any problem.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have had 3 Flash drives connected at the same time. That is not THE issue.

Only if one behaves as a Device, is the issue. Connect to Folder makes a drive appear to be a device (very useful for devices that Calibre can't identify properly, but appear as a drive to the OS)

The status line at the bottom usually indicates: xyz connected if that happens
(and the 'Location Bar', which is device type sensitive, appears. Preference:Toolbars: ...when connected)
and the OnDevice column shows. these are all clues

Normally Connect to Folder expires when you close Calibre (or eject the folder device)

BUT

there is a tweak:
Code:
#: Specify a folder calibre should connect to at startup
to force a reattach

Some USER tweaks were done a looooong time ago and forgotten about. Things changed and now the tweak is producing unexpected results.

(I am a Technician, not an Author. We just see different things)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Have you contacted Newegg yet to get the 300 replaced?
Old 12-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
I have had 3 Flash drives connected at the same time. That is not THE issue.

Only if one behaves as a Device, is the issue. Connect to Folder makes a drive appear to be a device (very useful for devices that Calibre can't identify properly, but appear as a drive to the OS)

The status line at the bottom usually indicates: xyz connected if that happens
(and the 'Location Bar', which is device type sensitive, appears. Preference:Toolbars: ...when connected)
and the OnDevice column shows. these are all clues

Normally Connect to Folder expires when you close Calibre (or eject the folder device)

BUT

there is a tweak:
Code:
#: Specify a folder calibre should connect to at startup
to force a reattach

Some USER tweaks were done a looooong time ago and forgotten about. Things changed and now the tweak is producing unexpected results.

(I am a Technician, not an Author. We just see different things)
thanks Ducks. When you say 'connect to folder' is that the same thing as when I was trying to open the pdf and put it into Calibre?

So in other words when you make a usb drive do something it becomes a device, right? And then since the eReader is a device already, having one device (the usb drive) interacting with the other device (the eReader) was what was causing the wonkiness, right?
Old 12-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Have you contacted Newegg yet to get the 300 replaced?
No. Was going to today. (I needed to be utterly convinced it was un-salvageable.) Think I'm going to ask them to replace it. I've still got the charger coming and I liked the PRS300 before it crapped out. I figure it can be my second reader. I figure I'm going to pick up a Kindle at some point. I hear what you were saying about having the PW or Aura to test the resolution of covers but I can't really see there ever being any issue with the covers. What sort of issue might you identify on an e-reader?

And I'm leaning toward the Kindle because of this deal I ran into with the PRS300. Seems if I do buy commercial ebooks chances are it will be from Amazon. And the epubs I get from other places I can just convert in Calibre and plop them on the Kindle.