Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
France: All your books are belong to us

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02...y_acquisition/

Quote:
Last week France passed a law that permits the state to seize authors' rights on books published before 2001. Scribes have just six months to opt-out, or lose their moral rights and the ability to determine a price for their work.

It's essentially a Compulsory Purchase Order for intellectual property - the author's work is no longer their own. Ownership is instead transferred to a quango answering to the French Ministry of Culture, which is authorised to make it digitally available. Publishers are the big beneficiaries.
Important for the authors here who have published in France.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I honestly have no words for that.

And I thought the US proposed Orphan Works bill was a kick in the reproductive organs for IP creators. This is a whole new level.

I shall hence forth invoke Godwin's law.

Sounds like something the Nazis would do.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm interested in knowing how this affects the indies here (including myself, but mine went up in 2012) on Amazon.fr.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
What a surprise that publishers are the big beneficiaries of this law.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I made a post about that subject and that's not really what it seems in the quoted article..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170062
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
The Register is not exactly an unbiased news source, it's more a "bitter cynical IT guy" website. IIRC Orlowski is kind of a cranky guy as well.

From what I can tell, this is France's solution to the "orphan works" / out-of-print problem. It's not quite as broad a "land grab" as Orlowski suggests, since he somehow forgot to mention the law only applies to out-of-print books, that authors/publishers receive payment, and they can pull their books from the system -- provided they make a digital version available in a reasonable time frame.

Also, in theory this will result in improved access to a large number of out-of-print works and payments for those works going to the authors and/or publishers. That's not exactly a bad thing.

Resolving this problem is going to stomp all over the toes of the people whose works are already out of print. There will be no perfect solution to this problem, because various parties' interests do not align perfectly; and every nation is likely to handle it differently.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Like Kali Yuga said, The Register is anything but an unbiased source, but even for them this story has been mangled unusually badly.

Bearing in mind the clarifications above and in vice-versa's thread, I think on the whole it is an excellent idea. I find six months' notice in which you choose to opt out to be reasonable and the benefits to the public at large to my mind by far outweighs the potential downsides.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Thank you all for the clarification. I was linked to the article and none of the comments called it out as mis-information, (and I don't speak French!) so I thought it was legit and unbiased.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Hey, these things happen. The internets are too large to easily vet everything all the time.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Thank you all for the clarification. I was linked to the article and none of the comments called it out as mis-information, (and I don't speak French!) so I thought it was legit and unbiased.
That's the problem with the internet. Telling what is accurate and what isn't. Anyone can post anything online and claim that it's the truth and someone somewhere will believe it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
What France is proposing is actually quite interesting, but they're doing it in response to a problem created by long copyright periods; this is solution more of a bandaid than anything.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 03-01-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
What France is proposing is actually quite interesting, but they're doing it in response to a problem created by long copyright periods; this solution more of a bandaid than anything.
I see what you're saying. They should push copyright reform instead of copyright grabs...
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I see what you're saying. They should push copyright reform instead of copyright grabs...
Yes. An immediate return to lifetime+50 would be a good first step, and could be done immediately.

Getting the Berne Convention re-negotiated will take a lot longer, as that where the lifetime+50 years minimum comes from.

I'd like to see a straight publication+50 years, but I'd settle for the longer of publication+50 years and the lifetime of the author.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Phew....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes. An immediate return to lifetime+50 would be a good first step, and could be done immediately............I'd like to see a straight publication+50 years, but I'd settle for the longer of publication+50 years and the lifetime of the author.
Hear hear......

And.phew.... I got all het up at the initial post, by now I've slowly subsided into a kind of relieved wry smile - remember the old party game where you tell someone a secret, they have to tell it to someone else. they have to.... etc...

End result is often incredibly mangled - this is a bit like that in reverse !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Not likely to ever happen unless Disney can get perpetual copyright over everything it produces. After all, that's what's pushed every single copyright extension bill in the US; Mickey Mouse being about to enter the public domain.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote