Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Gif images not showing in epub

Am I the only one that can't see .gif images in epubs created with Calibre? In LRF the gif images are visible.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Adobe digital editions has problems display gif images when they're used as a cover. you're better off converting them to png
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Adobe digital editions has problems display gif images when they're used as a cover. you're better off converting them to png
These aren't cover images these are embedded into the story.

I'm guessing the gif images won't show up on the device if they don't show up on the Sony Library? Since the Sony devices use Digital Editions?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
These aren't cover images these are embedded into the story.

I'm guessing the gif images won't show up on the device if they don't show up on the Sony Library? Since the Sony devices use Digital Editions?
Gee
I had the oposite
GIF yes
JPG no
for (chapter) dingbats.

(They show in Calibre viewer, but not on my device)

I would love to know what attributes are causing the problem.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I already submitted a issue in calibre trac regarding this. Harpers magazine recipe is affected by this "feature". Now is there a way from the recipe to convert gif to jpeg dynamically?

http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/5204
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
At some point I have to add support for remapping filenames and all links to them in an ebook. When I do, I can add auto conversion of GIF to PNG, but for the moment you have to convert manually.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 AM   #7
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
At some point I have to add support for remapping filenames and all links to them in an ebook. When I do, I can add auto conversion of GIF to PNG, but for the moment you have to convert manually.
The weird part is that some gifs work just fine and others don't...in the meantime I'll just convert to png to be on the safe side.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
rboy3
rboy3 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
The weird part is that some gifs work just fine and others don't...in the meantime I'll just convert to png to be on the safe side.
I have had this same problem although with Adobe Digital Editions not displaying some gifs. I opened the gifs in Photoshop and then saved them again (not interlaced). Then ADE displayed them fine. Calibre had no problem displaying them.
I have no idea what caused the problem but re-saving the gifs solved it.
rboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
agomm
agomm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, Nook
Color space maybe

If the image is CMYK and not RGB, it won't show up in ADE. That could be why some images appear and others don't.
agomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by agomm View Post
If the image is CMYK and not RGB, it won't show up in ADE. That could be why some images appear and others don't.
This can apply to PNG and JPG but not to GIF. GIF is an indexed color RGB only.

Personally, I've never had problems with Photoshop's transparent non-interlaced GIFs produce via its "Save for Web and Devices..." option. I NEVER create images for web or ebooks using PS's regular "Save..." operation as this can bulk the file with unnecessary ancillary data.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote