Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #61
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbebg View Post
What about the conversion XOURNAL annotations back to metadata.db?

User can use either native pdf reader file, make annotation, or use xournal import annotation and export back to native pdf reader. So extra EXPORT ANNOTATION rutine will export the annotations made by xournal to metadata.db file what will be recognized by native program.
Hi jbbebg,

What would be the benefit of converting scribbles made with xournal to matadata.db? I am a little reluctant to make changes to metadata.db, since it contains information for all documents in a folder. Breaking that file would delete a lot of scribbles.

Marcel.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #62
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Upgrading Firmware and Xournal

Be aware that Xournal is installed on the internal flash, so after a firmware upgrade you need to re-install Xournal (the full-install, not the upgrade).

Regards,
Marcel.
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #63
jbbebg
Enthusiast
jbbebg began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500, prs 505, Irex Iliad, Irex Digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Hi jbbebg,

What would be the benefit of converting scribbles made with xournal to matadata.db? I am a little reluctant to make changes to metadata.db, since it contains information for all documents in a folder. Breaking that file would delete a lot of scribbles.

Marcel.
Hi Mackx,

Irex Iliad automatically creates and moves the pdf file to directory with the same name as pdf file. Pdf file is so saved in the folder with the same name. So under the one folder only one pdf file is located. One scrible file belongs to one pdf and no more, if I understand well.
So Export annotate should be able to do same procedure and export the medatada information to this folder. By this way only one metadata will belong to one pdf file. Original pdf with the metadata may remain to the parent folder and medata is shared with the all documents or pdf is moved to the new created folder (even better).
Benefits of the xournal is obvious: straight lines, more bw colours, circles, squares, more erasable options....
You may not worry about my idea, it is just an idea. You already did a lot of more useful features.

Thanks,
Regards,
Janez
jbbebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #64
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Mackx,
Thanks, it didn't occur to hit the same zoom button again

What I did was hit the zoom - or the 1:1 etc none of these resize the window to show the top and bottom of the screen. Hitting the far right zoom button however, does

Oh, any idea how to associate the xoj files with xournal?
I've reinstalled the full version after my upgrade to 1.7.1

You know, an "Open with" dialog box" would have been a very useful addition from irex along with an easy option to associate files. After all they do make the software accessible and so must expect users to create there own programmes and require associations.

Thanks, Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #65
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Oh, any idea how to associate the xoj files with xournal?
I've reinstalled the full version after my upgrade to 1.7.1
If all is well the 'Install Xournal V8' should have associated the .xoj files to xournal with its own icons (it ends with a reboot to make sure the associations get used). I used some scripts of Viacheslav to update the associations. Else try the 'Install Xournal Extensions'.

Please let me know if you have problems with the associations.
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 AM   #66
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbebg View Post
Irex Iliad automatically creates and moves the pdf file to directory with the same name as pdf file. Pdf file is so saved in the folder with the same name. So under the one folder only one pdf file is located. One scrible file belongs to one pdf and no more, if I understand well.
So Export annotate should be able to do same procedure and export the medatada information to this folder. By this way only one metadata will belong to one pdf file. Original pdf with the metadata may remain to the parent folder and medata is shared with the all documents or pdf is moved to the new created folder (even better).
Benefits of the xournal is obvious: straight lines, more bw colours, circles, squares, more erasable options....
OK I see how this can be implemented 'risk-free'. But I still do not see the benifit of exporting to a metadata.db file? Do you want to annotate a file both with xournal and the native application? Are there any extra benifits of having a metadata.db file? You would loose the text that you added in xournal since there is no (easy) way to get it into the metadata.db file, maybe also some other parts can not be translated. Please help me to figure out the added value of this feature.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 AM   #67
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbarthedog View Post
One minor issue I have found. When merging scribbles, if it is a mixed format file i.e. portrait and landscape, the scribbles are treated as if they are all portrait i.e. those on the landscape page are in the wrong location.
Hi Curbarthedog,

Thanks for sending the file. My changes to export to PDF made an assumption ('this code will never get executed') but your file triggered that part of the code . I still have to find out why that part gets triggered. A fix will not be that difficult.
However I still saw problems with landscape pages, they are converted to portrait, losing a part of the page. This might take some more time to fix.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #68
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
I have just found a new "feature" with Xournal (although I think it is more luck than judgement)!

If you, rather than ejecting the SD card, merely take it out, Xournal stays up and running, including annotation of pdfs etc. Of course, any pdf being annotated or viewed using the standard pdf viewer shuts down and may well corrupt the scribbles but...

Not sure if there are any other risks but this is extremely useful!

Of course, I found this out by complete accident (forgot to eject) but this may change how I use my DR1000s!
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #69
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Mackx,
No I cannot get xoj to associate. The DR ini file seems to think they should be but in practice I just get the "cannot be opened, format unknown" error. Opens fine if you start xournal and then from there open it.
Here's a bit of the ini file :

/apps/er/sys/ctb/filetypes/doc-xoj/descr=Xournal
/apps/er/sys/ctb/filetypes/doc-xoj/icon_name=xournal
/apps/er/sys/ctb/filetypes/doc-xoj/template_descr=Xournal Template
/apps/er/sys/ctb/filetypes/doc-xoj/extensions=xoj;
/apps/er/sys/ctb/filetypes/doc-xoj/viewer_cmd=/usr/local/bin/xournal

Does this look okay?
I suppose I could delete the ini file and re-install (update) and try again

Howard
Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #70
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Does this look okay?
I suppose I could delete the ini file and re-install (update) and try again
Viacheslav is the most knowledgable on this part, he is also regulary reading this forum, maybe he has some tricks?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #71
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbarthedog View Post
I have just found a new "feature" with Xournal (although I think it is more luck than judgement)!

If you, rather than ejecting the SD card, merely take it out, Xournal stays up and running, including annotation of pdfs etc. Of course, any pdf being annotated or viewed using the standard pdf viewer shuts down and may well corrupt the scribbles but...

Not sure if there are any other risks but this is extremely useful!

Of course, I found this out by complete accident (forgot to eject) but this may change how I use my DR1000s!
I am not sure what the caching policy is of the file-system used on the SD card. Maybe not all data is written right away. I would use this 'feature' with care.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #72
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
<snap> I cannot get xoj to associate. <snap>
Hi Howard,

Any luck? Did you also try the 'Remove Xournal Extensions' and then install the extensions again?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #73
pthwaite
Fanatic

Well I tried reoving and reinstalling, made no difference.
I think the DR seems to create the ini file from a hidden or stored/cached version of it. Only because when I delete it, it re-appears with few changes.
The only added programme I can get to associate is the fbreader. Midori doesn't seem to associate either but to be honest, it's not much trouble to start the programme & then open the file.
However I have couple of more things to try first...
Old 11-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #74
MMT
MMT began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
I installed xournal version 8 on my DR1000S and when I try to Export to PDF xournal just crashes and creates an empty file. What have I done wrong? I have tried to reinstall with no luck. Everything else seems to work great.

Thanks for any help.

Mike
MMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #75
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMT View Post
I installed xournal version 8 on my DR1000S and when I try to Export to PDF xournal just crashes and creates an empty file. What have I done wrong? I have tried to reinstall with no luck. Everything else seems to work great.

Thanks for any help.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I send you a private message, asking to send the file to me. I hope that is possible?

Regards,
Marcel.