Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
The Coverversion thread

I'm interested in coverversions and more specifically their relation to the original. Unfortunately I seldom like any. But this is a thread for the good AND the bad coverversions you've stumbled across.

I start out with a good one (imo):

And now a really really bad one:

Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
You have got to be kidding me! I'll think of a few, I know, but I'm just in a state of shock right now...what was Anka thinking?

:shiver:

OMG, he did that atrocity in my city???

:re-shiver:
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i like this one pretty well (i like the original too) :

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Original: Kick out the Jams by MC5

Covered by Henry Rollins and Bad Brains

the king of covers - Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine (in this clip he tackles Baby Got Back and Personal Jesus )

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i like this one pretty well (i like the original too) :

Very nice.

On the topic of making melancholic songs into something else:

Verencat: Yeah. And I actually had a long argument about the autonomy and art and such at a blog about a year ago about that very version. I unfortunately said that Cobain "nailed it in one" and before I took a look around I had to argue why Goulds Goldberg variations was an improvement of Bachs. From that discussion, I fled aghast
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

This is a cover that I love:

Obadiah Parker covering Hey Ya by Outkast and making it about a billion times better

Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Laz116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
This is a cover that I love:

Obadiah Parker covering Hey Ya by Outkast and making it about a billion times better

Wow that's good. I actually quite like the original but this is just a great version. I never really understood that hippityhop the young folks listen to nowadays anyway.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
This one is only musical, but I liked it so much... I remember being ashamed of buying the album, but when I heard that song, I just gave in!

Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
A old Simon & Garfunkel song by a NON-FOLKish group...

A much better version, in my opinion...

Turn the Volume UP!!

Last edited by griffonwing; 07-30-2009 at 08:12 PM.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
Laz116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
A old Simon & Garfunkel song by a NON-FOLKish group...

A much better version, in my opinion...

Turn the Volume UP!!

Oooooooh nooooo. You don't mean that now do you.

I'm going to listen to the original right now.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned

Dear Gods, this one is THE best cover ever

Johnny Cash covering NIN's Hurt (tears every time with this one)

Old 07-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Laz116
Guru

Quote:
Dear Gods, this one is THE best cover ever

Johnny Cash covering NIN's Hurt (tears every time with this one)

YES. That's very very good.

But now for something Cash didn't perfect:

Bonnies version is much better imo:

Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
YES. That's very very good.

But now for something Cash didn't perfect:
I prefer the Cash version, but I did hear the Cash version first - which I think has a lot to do with what we like.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
Laz116
Guru

Quote:
I prefer the Cash version, but I did hear the Cash version first - which I think has a lot to do with what we like.
Probably. I heard Bonnies version shortly after an ex-girlfriend left me (actually it was pretty much on repeat). Much later I heard Cash's version and was quite displeased.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned

Here's one that I listened to on repeat after a particularly nasty breakup.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 11-19-2010 at 02:49 PM.