Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Kindle "Book Club"?

Been lurking around the Kindle world for awhile, but with the K2 am finally jumping into the waters to order.

But have a question for you all. I've read from time-to-time about being able to have multiple Kindles attached to an account, I think it's up to 5. I'm thinking of joining with other friends with similar, yet diverse, reading habits to spread out the cost of our books. Could each person purchase their own Kindle, then register them to one central Amazon account to purchase books? I know you can have different credit cards on an account, so if we each registered our own card, and purchased under it, would that work?

The way I envision it, is we'd have a centralized reading wish list. When someone's ready for a new book, they would go to the list, and if there's something on it they're interested in, they'd purchase it, and it would then be available to everyone in the group.

Of course, the key to this is everyone needs to participate - one or two buying all the books, but all 5 reading them isn't equitable. While it's inevitable that some will purchase more than others (based on their reading habits), we'd have to figure out how to spread out the costs. Maybe even commit to a minimum purchase amount from the list per quarter.

Has anyone done this? Any hints or advise? Am I crazy to try this?
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurBunny View Post

Has anyone done this? Any hints or advise? Am I crazy to try this?
Could you do it... probably yes.

You would need to turn of 1-Click ordering which can only be set to 1 credit card... which means you couldn't buy books right from the device.

Also, you would really have to trust everyone since they could buy stuff on any registered credit card.

Also, this may be against the terms of service... so you would have to check on that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Another way would be to have you each contribute a gift card to the account and keep replenishing it when you've used up however much you put on.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
I like the idea of the gift cards. That should work nicely!

Anyone else have ideas or have done this?
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote