Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Storage - memory stick

Hi,
I'm considering the HD, but 32Gb of storage isn't a lot and I'm REALLY not a fan of cloud storage. I see that it has a micro USB port. So, can I use a normal memory stick with a USB to micro USB adaptor? That would seem a cheap way of boosting storage capacity to - well - whatever I needed. IF it would work.

Thanks all.

Oh and I have done a search, but there are so many threads that I can't find one that gives this info.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The Kindle Fire doesn't support OTG in the stock software, you'd have to flash a completely different ROM to it (which isn't possible with the HD versions yet).

And while it seems like a great idea, it doesn't actually really work well because you either have to attach an additional USB power hub, or it just doesn't work very well period. 1 out of every 6 memory sticks work, and that's mainly because of the 2.0 USB standard that requires that additional power to function.

Some people here have talked about using wifi to access external drives and their computers. Maybe not the solution you're looking for, but it works very well without all the extra cords.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Thanks, sounds a bit too much hassle. I'll stick with the laptop for now.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Like Jessica says - a Wi Drive may suit you - no physical connection but local storage.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
You can purchase the KFHD7-32 with 32 Gb. That's more than enough storage. If necessary, you can even purchase the KFHD8.9-64 4G with 64 Gb of memory.

If that's not enough, use your PC and get up to 10 Tb of memory for that one.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert