Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
kobo wifi 1.9 update - what's in it?

hey all, for those that have been able to get 1.9, what changes were there from 1.74 on their kobo wifi?
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
read this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124620
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
tbear
tbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by batkinson001 View Post
hey all, for those that have been able to get 1.9, what changes were there from 1.74 on their kobo wifi?
Basically "go to page" and "cbz file format".
There were no other noticeable difference for me.

For me, the CBZ file format worked perfectly with much faster page-turning speed than epub or pdf (when pro-precessed 600*800 images were used.)
Because CBZ file viewer don't display page numbers and titles, entire screen can be used. So I started to convert technical papers in PDF format to CBZ to read on the kobo. But CBZ file format may not be useful for others though.
tbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Basically "go to page" and "cbz file format".
There were no other noticeable difference for me.
To me, Close book was a pretty big deal. Saves the hassle of getting a book out of the I'm Reading list if you open it for a peek.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear View Post
For me, the CBZ file format worked perfectly with much faster page-turning speed than epub or pdf (when pro-precessed 600*800 images were used.)
Because CBZ file viewer don't display page numbers and titles, entire screen can be used. So I started to convert technical papers in PDF format to CBZ to read on the kobo. But CBZ file format may not be useful for others though.
Sounds great Can you zoom and rotate just like with PDFs? This post seemed to imply a lack of zoom.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
tbear
tbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
Sounds great Can you zoom and rotate just like with PDFs? This post seemed to imply a lack of zoom.
No, it can't. Instead, I do zoom and rotate in a preprocessing step on my laptop using an app called PaperCrop.
http://code.google.com/p/papercrop
tbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
MechR
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear View Post
No, it can't.
Damn, that kills half its utility. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
MechR
Connoisseur

Actually, now that I've tried 1.9 for myself, readability isn't so bad at fit-zoom I was worried it'd be like PDFs, where I need at least 100% landscape to make anything out.

Still, it makes more sense for images to have PDF-like zoom/orientation settings, instead of nonfunctional font-size/style settings.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
To me, Close book was a pretty big deal. Saves the hassle of getting a book out of the I'm Reading list if you open it for a peek.
Me too; love that feature.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
dirtyvu
dirtyvu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I just got the 1.9 (r25373 mar 29 2011) firmware!. I guess I could've gotten earlier but I haven't launched the Kobo application in a long time (I manually load my books). Finally, the goto page feature is in and it makes a big difference in my mind. I hoped that the speed of the device would improve but I didn't notice it.
dirtyvu is offline   Reply With Quote