Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
HoyPhoto
HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Touch
Loading Books from Kobo Web store Without Syncing

I'd like to buy another book from the Kobo store and get it on my Kobo Touch, but I'm not too keen on updating the firmware as 2.1.5 is really stable for my needs and I don't want to experience another 2.0 event.

Can I sync wirelessly and get the book without the update? I have no option when plugging into the desktop, but is there an option when working wirelessly?

Kelly
HoyPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Syncing wirelessly will get the update as well. If you want to avoid the update you'll need to download the Adobe DRM epub and sideload using Adobe Digital Editions. Just don't open Kobo Desktop when connected to the PC.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually, in one of the threads on newer versions, someone gives instructions on how to edit the version file in the .Kobo directory to fool the device into thinking it is already on a higher level and bypassing the upgrade.

The other option would be to do a sync via desktop and before disconnecting the device dropping the three files the upgrade would have put in the .Kobo directory.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Here's the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can try connecting your Kobo to a computer, opening the version file in the .kobo directory and changing the version number to a higher number.

On my Glo, the version file contains the following string:
613A294056789,2.6.35.3,4.9.9,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000330

Where you see the 4.9.9 (hopefully in bold) is where you would normally see the version of the installed software. This will not work after a factory reset when the version will be set to the original firmware version and either a wireless sync or a desktop sync will try to update but if you are on 2.1.5 and don't want 2.3.1, it does seem to work.

Regards,
David
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoyPhoto View Post
I'd like to buy another book from the Kobo store and get it on my Kobo Touch, but I'm not too keen on updating the firmware as 2.1.5 is really stable for my needs and I don't want to experience another 2.0 event.

Can I sync wirelessly and get the book without the update? I have no option when plugging into the desktop, but is there an option when working wirelessly?

Kelly
How I do it is by using the Sony Reader for PC as my default Reader program. Yes, that means that when I buy a book from Kobo it auto downloads into my Sony Reader for PC program.

I open the book there and then I Import the book into Calibre, where I clean it and side load it into my Glo.

I don't open the Kobo Desktop program, and don't use the Kepubs - only Calibre cleaned and side loaded Kobo Epubs.

Here's a link to the Sony Desktop download:

https://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
How I do it is by using the Sony Reader for PC as my default Reader program. Yes, that means that when I buy a book from Kobo it auto downloads into my Sony Reader for PC program.

I open the book there and then I Import the book into Calibre, where I clean it and side load it into my Glo.

I don't open the Kobo Desktop program, and don't use the Kepubs - only Calibre cleaned and side loaded Kobo Epubs.

Here's a link to the Sony Desktop download:

https://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
This is my exact workflow. Works perfectly.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
HoyPhoto
HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.HoyPhoto is less competitive than you.

Thank you very much! I was hoping for a simple "press this button", you know, something that Kobo built into their system so as not to force us to upgrade, but I guess that is too much to ask for.

I really wish they would ask my permission to update my device. Even the Xbox gives me a choice to update or not.

Anyways, again, thank you for your help.
HoyPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoyPhoto View Post
Thank you very much! I was hoping for a simple "press this button", you know, something that Kobo built into their system so as not to force us to upgrade, but I guess that is too much to ask for.

I really wish they would ask my permission to update my device. Even the Xbox gives me a choice to update or not.

Anyways, again, thank you for your help.
We've asked for firmware updates to be optional. It's yet another thing Kobo has refused to do for us.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote