Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Amazon Xray improves value of DRM?

I find it interesting to see the ways that Amazon is slowly enhancing ebooks that you purchase.

One minor existing feature was the ability to see shared highlights. It wasn't overwhelming, but there were a few times I found it interesting to see what others had highlighted.

Now we have Amazon Xray. When you buy a book it also downloads an associated data file with various Wikipedia entries. This allows you to look up background information in the book.

So, back to DRM. I assume that breaking the DRM would also break the link to both shared highlighting and Xray??? As Amazon adds more ancillary features to it's books there may be an increasing penalty to disassociating your copy of the book from it's common identity. OTOH, some of you might argue that more privacy is an interesting feature of it's wn.

Last edited by emellaich; 09-30-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Fixed a few typos
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Removing the DRM does NOT remove access to shared highlights. I can vouch for that from personal experience. I think that's triggered from the ASIN number (the Amazon "part number" for the book) and DRM removal doesn't touch that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Maybe I'm in the minority - but when I read a book, I just want to read the book. No searching, no social stuff, no sharing - just reading.

Even if I did use these features, they would not offset what DRM does to you.

Rich
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeg2 View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority - but when I read a book, I just want to read the book. No searching, no social stuff, no sharing - just reading.

Rich
You're not alone, there. I don't care for the other fluff much, either.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
On the other hand, will pirates include the extra info for X-ray in their pirated copies of books?

So this might be a way of adding more value to the book from Amazon, if they don't.

(But again, if this only works on Kindle Touch and Fire, then the impact is going to be limited until that userbase surpasses the non-Xrayable kindles)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just because you remove the DRM from your backup doesn't mean you can't keep the origional download on your kindle.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Uh, Xray is supposed to work with books Amazon sells.
Well, Amazon sells DRM-free books.
So, until somebody verifies that it *doesn't* work without DRM there is no reason to try to tie the two together.

As to its value, well:
Quote:
X-Ray, a new feature that lets customers explore the “bones of the book.” With a single tap, readers can see all the passages across a book that mention ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, places or topics that interest them, as well as more detailed descriptions from Wikipedia and Shelfari, Amazon’s community- powered encyclopedia for book lovers Amazon built X-Ray using its expertise in language processing and machine learning access to significant storage and computing resources with Amazon S3 and EC2, and a deep library of book and character information. The vision is to have every important phrase in every book.
Sounds like a dynamically-generated index with links to both the book and external sources.
That may or not be useful for recreational fiction but it sure sounds useful for non-fiction...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:

Rich
Same!

However, if that X ray stuff can improve the book comprehension without being another social network stuff, is a nice thing, in my opinion.

I prefer to keep the control about what I share when I'm reading, or if I will post what book I'm reading on Facebook, doing it old fashion way, just posting a link. But be able to see what others have underlined have helped me several times while studying or reading a computer book.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:53 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
On the other hand, will pirates include the extra info for X-ray in their pirated copies of books?
Most pirated books these days are commercially-sold eBooks with the DRM removed, so yes, if the "X-Ray" data is in the original book, it will be in the pirated version.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:53 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Most pirated books these days are commercially-sold eBooks with the DRM removed, so yes, if the "X-Ray" data is in the original book, it will be in the pirated version.
As I understand things, the extra data isn't in the actual ebook file, but in an additional file that Amazon downloads at the same time. Rather like the page number data file.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh, OK - thanks. I hadn't appreciated that. In that case you're right; they probably wouldn't be there.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they start including it. I mean, we've all heard reports about how pirates have gone in and done things like fixed problems the publisher wouldn't, etc. I wouldn't expect the pirates to roll over and be like "we can't include this!"
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Actually, I don't think either shared highlighting or Xray are that interesting to me personally. My observation was more along the lines that Amazon could/might continue to enhance official DRM copies to make them more useful than backed up copies.

I say backed up copies because I specifically was not thinking of pirating. Personally, I think pirated ebooks and personal archives are two completely different phenomena.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:

Rich
Basically I'm with you. I don't care for all the social stuff, etc. But, I have searched back on a character's name when it came up and I forgot who it was.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote