Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Amazon Kindle Has The Worst Customer Support Of All The E-readers

After the screen on my husband’s Kindle suddenly froze, he went in search of customer service on Amazon.com. As anyone who has gone on a similar quest can attest, it is not easy to find. The Kindle Support page simply told him to check his warranty, which had expired the previous week. His only option, it seemed, was to buy a new one

Read more: http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...#ixzz1W0V1PQi7

Absolute bunk. The screen on my Kindle just went out and I requested customer support call me. Which they did within 10 seconds. And within 5 minutes of speaking to the rep a new Kindle was on its way. Free of charge.

I'm sure everyones experience is different but this looks like the author went out of her way to smear Amazon and praise Apple.

Last edited by xg4bx; 08-24-2011 at 11:23 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
yeah that's pretty silly.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Wow, that article was a load of crap. Agreed, that not everyone experiences the same customer support, I can't imagine that it was that bad.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
The "Business Insider" version of this mess has far more entertaining comments.

She deserved almost every one of them.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I can also attest that my experience with Amason's customer support has always been beyond reproach. My experiences with B&N's customer support were quite the opposite.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
So,
How long do you think she's been working for apple?

I've been in contact with Amazon CS three or four times, whereof one time concerning the Kindle.
All positive, and the new Kindle was on its way even before the phone conversation was over.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:54 AM   #7
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
This story sucks. This story sucks so much it should consider a career in the adult film industry.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:09 AM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
It's only good if you talk to them on the phone. If you use email, it's pretty much completely worthless.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Amazon have absolutely the best customer support in the business. It makes buying a Kindle so much safer than any other eInk based reader. No other company I know of will replace a reader with a broken screen (cracked glass substrate).

And they don't ask you to send the broken machine back before sending the replacement, and they pay for a courier pick-up of the broken machine.

And sometimes they'll even do this out of warranty.

An astonishingly bad article.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #10
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
It's only good if you talk to them on the phone. If you use email, it's pretty much completely worthless.
I only use their online chat customer support. Of the three times that I can think of where I've had to contact them about an issue with a product (one being Kindle related--charging cord fell apart), they were fantastic.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #11
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Amazon have absolutely the best customer support in the business. It makes buying a Kindle so much safer than any other eInk based reader. No other company I know of will replace a reader with a broken screen (cracked glass substrate).

And they don't ask you to send the broken machine back before sending the replacement, and they pay for a courier pick-up of the broken machine.

And sometimes they'll even do this out of warranty.

An astonishingly bad article.
Similar with my wife's refurb Kindle 2, the screen died almost entirely, very suddenly (only a little bit of it functioned). I was on the phone for like 15 minutes with Amazon, they sent another refurb via overnight shipping.

Honestly, my experience with B&N was similiar with a bad screen on my first Nook 3G, except I did get a couple of questions about whether anyone had put weight on the screen...but pretty much the same - a refurb shipped out - although it was budget 3-5 day shipping from B&N.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Reading that I don't believe she ever even actually tried to call Amazon. Finding an actual person isn't easy? When our kindle was dropped (and shouldn't even have been replaced via warranty) I had a new one being shipped to me in under 10 minutes. Free.

Her higher grades for the other stores seems to be largely based on their bricks and mortar presence. That's great - if you live near an Apple or Barnes and Noble. Either one is a 40 minute drive for me.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #13
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I agree. I recently had to contact them because a purchase I made was not downloading to my Kindle4Mac. Wrote them an email, and got an utterly worthless reply. The suggestion by the CSR in the email was one I had already tried, which she would have known if she had bothered to read my (detailed) email.

To make matters worse, there is no way to follow up on a complaint. The email from the CSR had no 'reply-to' address, and no reference number. So if you need to follow up on an issue, you need to explain the issue again in a new email. This struck me as decidedly braindead.

There phone support might be good, but written communication is severely lacking.

Last edited by afa; 08-25-2011 at 07:34 AM.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
Quote:
Originally Posted by af716075
Wrote them an email, and got an utterly worthless reply. The suggestion by the CSR in the email was one I had already tried, which she would have known if she had bothered to read my (detailed) email...
There phone support might be good, but written communication is severely lacking.
I believe emails are automated and no one actualy writes them. But from personal experience humans on the phone are great.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #15
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Yes - email inquiries get "canned" responses seemingly written by a non-native English speaker, that do not resolve the question. Phone support is tremendous - your issue is solved while you are talking with them.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote