Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #31
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Link from the thread running on this in the news forum, not surprisingly it turns out Amazon didn't delete anything from her Kindle after all:

http://boingboing.net/2012/10/22/kin...azon-dele.html
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #32
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What proof do you have that she's lying?
What proof do you have that Amazon is?
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #33
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
What proof do you have that Amazon is?
Exactly. And there is no way to be sure that the person is in fact posting everything she received from Amazon verbatim.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #34
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
And as I posted on the other thread, maybe the account deletion has nothing to do with DRM and is about the practice of returning too many items after some use?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #35
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
And as I posted on the other thread, maybe the account deletion has nothing to do with DRM and is about the practice of returning too many items after some use?
Could be any number of things... Some people sell things fraudulently via Amazon as a third-party vendor. This will get all of their accounts removed.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #36
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Yes, but everyone seems to have jumped on the DRM as being the reason. Including myself who is now doing some overdue housekeeping.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Yes, but everyone seems to have jumped on the DRM as being the reason. Including myself who is now doing some overdue housekeeping.
No her account was closed due to another banned account linked to hers. It has nothing to do with Geo Restrictions.

From the letter on the blog
Quote:
We have found your account is directly related to another which has been previously closed for abuse of our policies. As such, your Amazon.co.uk account has been closed and any open orders have been cancelled.
Emphasis added by me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #38
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
OK, so I'm clueless. How is an account linked on Amazon?
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
OK, so I'm clueless. How is an account linked on Amazon?
S
It could be by Street Address, Credit Card or Email Address. I would say IP Address but seeing how there are too many public ones out there I seriously doubt they use that other then to tell what Location you are in.

Some things I have read that is a no no is like Selling things brought with Prime. Opening two accounts to take advantage of offers. Not having two accounts but using it to abuse the one per household rule on discounts, sales...etc.
Returning too many high dollar items. Being a Bad Merchant. This could be true or the report of a buyer who is just lying that gets you in trouble.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #40
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Does this include loaning people books?
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Does this include loaning people books?
S
No you can loan people books as long as you do it through the Kindle Lending program. It's perfectly legit.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #42
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
This update sounds in the ballpark of plausible:

Quote:
Linn says her account was mysteriously re-activated after my article published." . . .

Sadly, the device developed a fault (actually a second time, it was also replaced in 2011 for the same reason) and started to display black lines on the screen (something I've heard from other friends as it happens). She called Amazon customer service, and they agreed to replace it if she returned it, although they insisted on shipping the replacement to a UK address rather to her in Norway.
My K3's have developed that flaw three times, and for the same reason. I'm clumsy and cracked the screen. Lucky for me, Amazon, in practice, honors the warranty for screen damage.

It does look like the reason Amazon temporarily closed her account is because she tried to save money by buying books as if from another country. I can understand why Amazon wouldn't like this. But at least she was paying for the books. When you consider that Kindles are probably returned every day for warranty replacement, filled with DRM free best-sellers not purchased from Amazon (or borrowed, via Overdrive, through Amazon), they are right to let this peccadillo slide.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-22-2012 at 08:31 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #43
jswinden
Nameless Being

My inner blogger reports that she was already on "double secret probation"!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #44
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Link from the thread running on this in the news forum, not surprisingly it turns out Amazon didn't delete anything from her Kindle after all:

http://boingboing.net/2012/10/22/kin...azon-dele.html
Yeah, and there's another update as well:

"Update @ 23:55 - Linn just contacted me to say her account has been mysteriously re-activated and she's busily downloading her books. Hopefully Amazon will have more news for us all soon. Even positive arbitrary actions disclose how much Kindle customers read only with the grace of Amazon, of course...

Update @ 00:30 - Amazon PR just wrote to say: "We would like to clarify our policy on this topic. Account status should not affect any customer's ability to access their library. If any customer has trouble accessing their content, he or she should contact customer service for help. Thank you for your interest in Kindle."
-------

Interesting ....
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #45
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
This is interesting and I've seen this topic come up at various times. i do believe that it is a flaw in the system. I like Amazon and I love my kindle, but i don't think their system is perfect. I really think DRM and geographic restrictions are stupid and shouldn't even exist. I mean it really doesn't slow the people that are going to pirate for the sake of being a pirate. It hurts the honest people that aren't aware of how to disinfect their purchases.
I buy from amazon and many other online ebook stores. Before the book even hits my kindle it goes through calibre and my various plugins to get cleaned. I don't rely on the cloud or any big business to keep my interests in mind. I've even had to deal with geographic restrictions with a book that I really wanted but for some reason it wasn't in the US amazon store even though the rest of the series was. I found it available in another legitimate ebook store over seas that didn't have the stupid restrictions. I bought the book and hopefully some of that money went to support the author. This is all rediculous, and gives me all the more reason to keep wifi and 3g off on my kindle and use calibre on every purchase. In fact I am not even going to spend the extra money on the 3g model of the kindle. I never use 3g anyways.
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote