Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
The topic of this thread is "how to set the first page in an ePub book". Please take the off-topic discussions to the Lounge.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I can't stand it when people force me to read it in full justification....
I just can't stand the "rivers of white space" on a small screen.

Luckily, my device has a settings option where I can quickly flip to the view of my choice.
On a Kindle, there's a way to fix those gaps. Just use the Hyphenate This! plugin. It adds soft hyphens and the Kindle software respects soft hyphens. Searching even works. This would give you hyphens and eliminate most of the gaps.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The topic of this thread is "how to set the first page in an ePub book". Please take the off-topic discussions to the Lounge.

Thank you.
The thread has run its course as there is no way to have an ePub eBook start at a different page other than the first page of the eBook.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #49
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I know you argue for the sake of arguing. JSWolf :-) Indeed, the first page is the first page. But there may be ways of, more or less reliably, persuading certain readers to start elsewhere on first opening. It's a valid topic for discussion.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I know you argue for the sake of arguing. JSWolf :-) Indeed, the first page is the first page. But there may be ways of, more or less reliably, persuading certain readers to start elsewhere on first opening. It's a valid topic for discussion.
I'm not arguing. I'm just responding to HarryT saying this thread is off-topic. I've used a number of different reading apps (not all based on RMDSK) and none of them have ever start an ePub on a different page other than the cover page. And that is using ePub that as supposed to be set to start after the cover. I'm not saying there isn't such a program, but if there is, someone please mention it.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #51
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not arguing. I'm just responding to HarryT saying this thread is off-topic. I've used a number of different reading apps (not all based on RMDSK) and none of them have ever start an ePub on a different page other than the cover page. And that is using ePub that as supposed to be set to start after the cover. I'm not saying there isn't such a program, but if there is, someone please mention it.
Not really true, Jon. Kobos, including yours, open unread epubs to the page corresponding to the first entry in the TOC (ncx version). I find this to be a bit of a PITA but I suppose it could also be made to work to one's advantage.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:55 AM   #52
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Not really true, Jon. Kobos, including yours, open unread epubs to the page corresponding to the first entry in the TOC (ncx version). I find this to be a bit of a PITA but I suppose it could also be made to work to one's advantage.
Thanks for that! That workaround had been recommended to me, but it failed on my Kindle K3 and Fire HD. Nice to know it works for Kobo, so maybe I'll use it again. One could put the TOC in front of the title page and link to that, tee hee.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #53
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
A brief comment.

DiapDealer and NotJohn, your answers (post # 17 and 22) among others deserved a reply from me, but I held back because I had the impression of being off-topic (maybe not according to JSWolf...).

A new thread directly linked to the "coercive forces" (traditions, habitus, prestige, etc.) exerted by the printed book on digital book might be interesting.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:13 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Not so. I've plenty of ePub that do not have an NCX entry for the cover and yet on my H2O, every single one I've opened with the H2O have started at the first page which is the cover.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Not so. I've plenty of ePub that do not have an NCX entry for the cover and yet on my H2O, every single one I've opened with the H2O have started at the first page which is the cover.
Well, you have a special Aura H2O. All of my Kobo devices open epubs to the first ToC entry. And I just checked. I usually add an entry for the cover, so I had to dig out a couple of unedited books that had the first chapter as the first ToC entry. Both opened to it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #56
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I often wonder how well you test your pet theories before stating them as gospel.

I've just taken the first 4 epubs I could find in my calibre library whose first TOC entry is not the page 1 cover page. None have ever been on my H2O before. After sending them to the H2O and opening them for the first time, without fail all 4 opened to the first TOC entry, not the cover page. Once the book is reopened there are no such restrictions and it will remember your previous page no matter whether it was in the TOC or not.

So, I conclude that either you're wrong or you've managed to buy a 'special H2O' not available to the rest of us.

ETA: Ninja'd, again

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-22-2015 at 07:41 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote