Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
anyone
Enthusiast
anyone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pocket Reader for PDF with Dictionary support

Hello,

im looking for a reader that is:

- not much bigger than a normal pocketbook
- should work fine with PDF files
- resizable fonts
- i like the dictionary feature since i read a lot of stuff in a foreign language, but it has to be useful, i probably would use it if it takes more than 10 secondes to look up a word and i shoule be able to return to my book page at once after

Also great would be a webbrowser and pop3 mail support via bluetooth connection with my windows mobile PDA, but i dont think any device on the market now can do that, and i dont want to wait another year. Or are there any devices with that features coming next month?

Money doenst matter at the moment, i just want what i need.
Are there any waterproof cases available?

Last edited by anyone; 04-04-2009 at 10:42 AM.
anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
1 & 2 conflict if you're meaning PDFs produced with an A4/Ltr page size.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
anyone
Enthusiast

No conflict...text pdfs should be reformated by the device, and for a4 photo pdfs there is the zoom function.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not "pocket sized", but the iRex DR1000S is undoubtedly the nearest match to your requirements at present. It's the only device I know of which supports dictionary lookup in PDF documents.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
anyone
Enthusiast

To bad, pocket size is the most important feature for me.

I'd rather buy a device that doenst have dictionary and the other stuff now but pocketsize and PDf and sell it again, if a for me more suiting device appears next year.
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sony range (PRS-505, PRS-700) has the best support for PDF files in a 6" device.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
anyone
Enthusiast

Yea i might get the 700, it has the highest reselling price...since its not even available in my country. And i buy my internet email ebook next year.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'd suggest reading some reviews before you make it your mind. The 700 has a touch screen which, to many peoples' minds, significantly degrades the image quality compared with that of the 505. There was also been reports of issues with dust getting in around the edges of the touch screen. To be fair, though, there are many people who are very happy with the 700.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
anyone
Enthusiast

Yes but it doenst really matter..as long as PDF works well. Its only temporaly anyway until i get my bluetooth ebook. And i think it the 700 has the best reselling price as being new, having a cool touchscreen and built in light.