Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Tysdaddy
Tysdaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Considering Sony Reader
Sony Reader and RPG gaming (D&D) . . .

Is the reader capable of looking at documents that include links, and can you follow those links within the reader to other properly-formatted pages?

For example, since part of the reason I want one is for gaming, can something like this be put on there in RTF and used sufficiently and with little hassle:

http://systemreferencedocuments.org..._sage/home.html

I know there are other hypertext versions of the SRD available as well.

Any gamers here that use this thing for their gaming?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Tysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't think anyone has found a way to do links in an RTF so far. They do work -- within a given file -- in PDFs and LRF (BBeB) files, but I don't think anyone's figured out how to put links in their own BBeB files yet.

It sounds to me like a tablet PC, or just a plain old laptop might be more suited to your RPG needs -- at least until the tech matures and branches some more.

The Reader really and truly is optimized for reading page by page, front to back, like a novel. It does that quite well, but it doesn't do much else well. The iLiad might be more suited to your RPG purposes since it seems to be a bit more flexible in its approach to handling files, but that's not a terribly experienced opinion, as I haven't had much exposure to that device.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
FYI: latest BookDesigner, released today, now handles links in BBeB files.

Last edited by FangornUK; 02-02-2007 at 05:03 AM.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sweet! Thanks for pointing that out.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
Tysdaddy
Tysdaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Considering Sony Reader
Thanks everyone. I usually use my laptop for this kind of stuff, and was just wondering out loud about how the Reader could be used for gaming.

I am mainly interested in the readability, and the E-ink technology is indeed beautiful to behold.

Peace!
Tysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysdaddy
Thanks everyone. I usually use my laptop for this kind of stuff, and was just wondering out loud about how the Reader could be used for gaming.

I am mainly interested in the readability, and the E-ink technology is indeed beautiful to behold.

Peace!

I've tried using mine for gaming, and found it lacking in a couple respects:

I have the PDF versions of the rulebooks, and they are too small to read on the reader screen. I guess the HTML versions of the D&D books might solve that problem... Now I just need Games Workshop to put all their Warhammer content in HTML ;-)

They're reference books, so when I want to look up the precise penalty to AC for charging, or something, I want to either be able to search for it or at least have an index that can be used quickly and easily. Perhaps with links in BBeB that second one will be possible, I'll have to try it out.

The refresh rate, especially when I'm jumping around looking for something, is actually a hindrance. It doesn't bother me when reading straight through, but for some reason when doing random access looking for a particular rule, it really seems too slow. The other players will usually find the rule much more quickly in their dead-tree books.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
GavinK151
Enthusiast
GavinK151 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle View Post
I've tried using mine for gaming, and found it lacking in a couple respects:

I have the PDF versions of the rulebooks, and they are too small to read on the reader screen. I guess the HTML versions of the D&D books might solve that problem... Now I just need Games Workshop to put all their Warhammer content in HTML ;-)

They're reference books, so when I want to look up the precise penalty to AC for charging, or something, I want to either be able to search for it or at least have an index that can be used quickly and easily. Perhaps with links in BBeB that second one will be possible, I'll have to try it out.

The refresh rate, especially when I'm jumping around looking for something, is actually a hindrance. It doesn't bother me when reading straight through, but for some reason when doing random access looking for a particular rule, it really seems too slow. The other players will usually find the rule much more quickly in their dead-tree books.
Old thread I know but anyway - I have an html version of the SRD docs that I converted to Mobipocket using mobipocket creator and on the PC it looks useable...

Anyway, real question: Has anyone tried using the Irex iliad for their Character sheet? I was thinking maybe it would work quite well for taking notes etc etc....

If so, is annotating a blank PDF character sheet the way to go? (cant test as I dont have an iliad!)

cheers!
GavinK151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
zidar
zidar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Charachter sheet 4E d&d

I know i necroed this thread, but i created a test character sheet for prs- 600. And i Would like some reply.
Attached Files
File Type: epub sheet5.epub (970.9 KB, 243 views)
zidar is offline   Reply With Quote