Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
hoosier
hoosier began at the beginning.

Device: still deciding
b&n ebook on multiple devices?

hi all - new to the forum and the e-reader world and have a LOT to learn. I posted a similar question on the jetbook forum, but wanted to ask it here more generically as I think there are a lot more people here who may have experience that would help

I'm considering buying a Nook for my wife. If I wind up getting a less expensive model for myself that is compatible with the b&n format, will I be able to put a given book we purchase onto both devices? Not talking about "lending" here, but similar to an mp3 or something, actually having it on multiple devices at the same time, and for as long as I want. Seems like this shouldn't be an issue given you can put books on iphones bberry's, etc. But what about a non-Nook e-reader (in my case looking at the Jetbook as option #2)?
hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
If both devices support B&N DRM eBooks, then you can register both with the same account. For example, I currently have my iPhone, my iPad, and my iRex DR800SG all registered to the same account and can read the same books on any of them. There is a maximum device limit, but I have not personally hit it yet.

Fair notice; you may run into snags with the jetbook because it claims to support B&N PDB books, while B&N is in the process of moving its library to ePub.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
hoosier
hoosier began at the beginning.

Device: still deciding
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
If both devices support B&N DRM eBooks, then you can register both with the same account. For example, I currently have my iPhone, my iPad, and my iRex DR800SG all registered to the same account and can read the same books on any of them. There is a maximum device limit, but I have not personally hit it yet.

Fair notice; you may run into snags with the jetbook because it claims to support B&N PDB books, while B&N is in the process of moving its library to ePub.
thanks nikkie - isn't epub supposed to be the most universal format? so that would be a good thing, right (forgetting about the jetbook idea)? what's the consensus on this? as someone totally new to the e-reader idea I can say it is SO frustrating trying to figure out what reader supports what format and what the heck it all means. On the other hand, maybe that's why you just buy a Nook, buy from B&N, and enjoy reading
hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

ePub is, but the problem is that just because a device reads ePub doesn't mean it reads DRM ePub. It probably will, but I would check in the Jetbook forums with current users first. Other devices have been bit by this before.

For example, B&N has a client for OSX, but it doesn't work with DRM ePubs, only DRM pdbs.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
As far as I know, Adobe has not yet released a reader for any platform that supports the B&N DRM'd epub. When Adobe and B&N announced the new epub DRM based on the eReader DRM (i.e., user enters name and credit card), Adobe said that it would be supported by Adobe Digital Editions and the Adobe Mobile Reader used in a number of readers.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
As far as I know, Adobe has not yet released a reader for any platform that supports the B&N DRM'd epub. When Adobe and B&N announced the new epub DRM based on the eReader DRM (i.e., user enters name and credit card), Adobe said that it would be supported by Adobe Digital Editions and the Adobe Mobile Reader used in a number of readers.
No, Adobe hasn't, but B&N has. The iRex has authentication support for both both B&N and Adobe logins, and the Nook supports DRM'd ePubs.