Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
If you could change some things on the 505, what would it be?

Imagine tomorrow a Sony engineer would come to you, and ask you this question.

"If you could change one or two things on the PRS-505, what would it be?"

What would you answer? Some new feat? Some new software?

Ofcourse we all want a bigger screen or higher resolution. so appart from that.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
Some things I wish my 505 had:

1) All of the book titles to be the same size type. I have heard that there is a hack for this, but an official update would be better.
2) A symbol indicating type of file. If the file is on an SD card then there is a little SD symbol near each title, but I have several hundred files in .lrf, .rtf, .txt, and .pdf. It would be nice to have that info listed in the title.
3) A well designed hard case that protects the screen but folds away as nice as the original cover.
4) Plugs to cover the USB, power, and phono jacks. Over time dust, lint and stuff tend to collect there. I've already vacuumed (gently) them once in the last six months.

The usual wish list also applies; faster, sharper, more capability, more file formats, front light, bigger screen, indestructible, etc.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
book descriptions

I have hundreds of books - can't remember what they are about - so I have to open each one - calibre lets me put notes - but they are not transferred over to the book reader. I would love to put the fictionwise blurb on each book and have it accessible from the reader.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Not so fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Ofcourse we all want a bigger screen or higher resolution. so appart from that.
Not all of us want a bigger screen. I like the size now because it is easy to carry with me everywhere I go.

To make mine perfect, I'd just like the audio crap taken out so I didn't have to pay for something I will NEVER use and I'd prefer a different method of attaching the case to the reader. That giant "snap" on the back of the 500 was a pain if you changed cases, but you didn't have to worry that sucker was going to snap off.

Of course, I could live with it as it is if I only had a red one....
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'd like wireless.

Also would like to be able to display the time.

More formats!!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I do not have a 505, but:

1 - ability to load the fonts one wants and at least 6 sizes, and option to bold the text (this diminishes the need for a external artificial light);
2 - option for one to choose text reflow on Pdf’s or zooming and panning when reading this format (sort of what is now and what was before in one machine).

Last edited by DDHarriman; 10-17-2008 at 08:16 PM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I would like the right-side page turning buttons moved higher up. They are placed a little low for me. This might not be the case for other users, but this would enhance my comfort. Those buttons just don't seem to be in the right place for me.

I'll also add that I have no desire for a larger screen either. Works fine for me, and I like how the whole thing is small and slim.

A touchscreen would be nice too, but I see that the 700 model has that.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
GOD DAMN FOLDERS!
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'd like to be able to house over 2000 books on it without it taking 30 minutes to load every time I add new titles to my ebook device.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I echo the call for folders so I can have one single Star Trek collection with folders for each series rather than a half dozen collections. I would also like a protective hard case to carry it in.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenEngineer View Post
Some things I wish my 505 had:

1) All of the book titles to be the same size type. I have heard that there is a hack for this, but an official update would be better..
Check out PRSCustomizer
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #12
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
My desires come in three distinct areas:

For the display itself, I want higher contrast and MUCH higher pixel density. 4x improvement in dot pitch would be lovely (from ~180 DPI to ~720 DPI). I'm far less concerned about number of gray-scale levels, and don't give a darn about color. Of course, this is really out of Sony's hands; they depend on the various e-Paper companies for the screens themselves.

For the device, I want drastically improved physical ergonomics. Heck, I'd be happy with the button layout of the REB-1100 along with its ability to choose which of the four edges is the top of the screen (thus supporting both left and right-handed use in both portrait and landscape mode). The REB-1100 was too heavy and too thick, but Sony doesn't seem to have a problem in that area -- just in button placement, size, and function. Rumor has it that the new 700 has improvements in this area. If so, I'll probably buy one.

For the software, my primary desire is for usable support for large numbers of books. There's absolutely no excuse for the fact that it takes minutes to find and identify a few hundred books -- Calibre does it way faster, even with super-slow USB-1.1 sitting between it and the reader... And less excuse than that for the HALF HOUR(!!) it takes when I have 1500 or so books on an SD card (note: these are PRS-500 times, but I hear tell that the 505 ain't much better). And I won't even start on the totally lame FLAT LIST of books, with no support for any kind of hierarchy other than collections. A rather more minor issue would be official support for user-installable fonts. Especially if it understood font families correctly so as to use real italics and boldface instead of lamely-synthesized versions. It would be nice to be able to choose my own font.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #13
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

wireless transfer -
bluetooth or wifi, so one can transfer simple articles without
having to connect vis USB and run the Connect software.

printer driver -
have the reader show up as a USB printer, so people can print to it.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:31 AM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I personally find the screen size ok as well,but could handle a little higher resolution (likes of 720x1024),formore comfortable reading of .pdf files and A4 manga/comic books.
I'd also like a touch screen on top of what's already here, just as long as this doesn't affect the battery life too much.

Folders make sense. Once you get above 30 books, searching for them becomes difficult.
Processing time should also become quicker,and would be nice to see some of it done in the background the moment files get uploaded.

I agree with JanetCin NC that the audio is utterly useless. Either Sony makes this an extended MP3 device (DAP) with the space (4-8GB internal)to host audiofiles (preferably mp3/wma/ogg and flac), and adds feats like EQ,wake time, internal speaker to it, or completely removes the audio section. No need to have a TV remote control being able to playback MP3 files neither...

about formats, doc and ppt (PowerPoint) would be nice.

My own idea: I'd like there to be some games,like Sudoku, Mahjong, mine sweeper, Solitaire, OXO, 4-in-a-row,and even chess!
These are extremely enjoyable with a touchscreen!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:40 AM   #15
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Wireless connection to my computer
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, change, engineer, feat, thing